PDA

View Full Version : How much exercise for a labrador?

MarkEsq
06-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Okay, so my wife and I are debating getting a dog. I grew up with labs on a farm in England where they were always walked once a day, sometimes twice. Long walks. I have it my mind that anything else is, well, almost cruel.

The dog we'd get would be from lab rescue, a 3 to 5 year old. We have three kids who would LOVE a dog but I'm worried about the exercise thing. There is nowhere we could go (without driving) she/he could run off the leash, which in reality would mean a quick 10-minute stroll in the morning before work (on the leash) and most evenings another one, maybe 20 minutes but again on the leash. I expect she'd hang out in our small-ish backyard during the day. Weekends we could take her swimming or to a dog park.

So, after all that - would we end up with a fat and under-exercised dog on that kind of schedule? Thoughts...?

TerzaRima
06-13-2008, 03:52 AM
That doesn't sound like a lot of exercise for a lab to me. Must it be a lab? How about a dog with lower exercise requirements?

Shadow_Ferret
06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Wanting to rescue the lab is a worthy endeavor, but if it ends up not getting enough exercise?

THere are plenty of smaller dogs with lower exercise requirements that need rescuing, too.

rhymegirl
06-13-2008, 04:22 AM
How about getting a ferret?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/rhymegirl/ferret.jpg

See? How can you resist that little face?

veinglory
06-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Labs do need exercise, generally. But a rescue can help you match to an animal. Most dogs need a fair amount of exercise but some like whippets are happier being couch potatoes and less likely to get fat (labs *do* like to eat).

chevbrock
06-13-2008, 04:38 AM
Labs are wonderful dogs but they do require quite a bit of exercise. And I imagine that your rescue would require quite a bit of training, as well. Labs also have big, boofy heads and constantly wagging tails, just perfect for knocking over small children! :)

You would need to look into it further, of course, but I'm thinking maybe something smaller and more robust may be more your style. A Staffordshire Bull Terrier may be a bit too silly for you, but they are certainly tough and love people of all ages. A Border terrier may be a consideration, also. Just thoughts :)

Soccer Mom
06-13-2008, 04:58 AM
My Lab takes a LOT of exercise. Children make good free labor for that, but I don't think the cherub on your lap would be quite ready.

You might try a dog with a lower exercise requirement.