so what book would you want to live in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Righting

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chapteread.com
for me - in Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! --- to see a dragon and meet the hysterical Night Watch!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'd like to be in Amber in one of Roger Zelazny's books... preferably as one of the princes who have the ability to walk the shadows.

If not that, I'd love to visit Larry Niven's Ringworld, or Arthur C Clarke's Rama.

Willie

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
The Phantom Tollbooth.

Please? Please please please?

Zodiea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and guess that we're not allowed to choose worlds from our own writing...:rolleyes:

I guess from looking at my bookshelf that my next pick would be the Inkworld by Cornelia Funke. That way, if there was something from another book I wanted, I could (or if we don't get the MC's powers, ask them to) read it out for myself.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Hogwarts would be awesome. That's why it makes for such fun reading!

Course, Lyra's universe from His Dark Materials sounds pretty glamorous...and it'd be cool to have a daemon...yep, that's the one.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'd like to live in the days of Oliver Twist and talk to him in the street, when he leaves the Orphanage and arrives in London. I would like to rescue him from Fagin and the Artful Dodger.

Barbara

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'd like to be in Amber in one of Roger Zelazny's books... preferably as one of the princes who have the ability to walk the shadows.
Yup. That's exactly what I was gonna say, because I could find any reality I like.

And if we're dreaming, I'd also like to be a Logros initiate so I can do a bit of sorcery while I'm wandering between shadows.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Hogwarts is pretty tempting. Or maybe one of those Bronte settings where I wander the moors in my flowy dress...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger... hands down.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
R.A Salvatore's world or Tolkien's when Faenor was alive. :D Cheers to elves!
Harry Potter goes too.

TPCSWR

Unashamed Play School Fan
Registered
Reaction score
One that has a lot of betting that I already know the results to, dunno exactly which.

Or maybe "The Day my Bum Went Psycho".

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so many choices.

I'll start out in Galt's Gulch, Colorado, the utopia of the ornery, from Atlas Shrugged. Francisco d'Anconia has this great cabin there, and he's so lonely. ;)

The Regency England of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, where magic and the Raven King have returned to the land. My house would have to have one of those paintings that open into Faery.

LotR: Bag End would be a lovely place to live, but the rather narrow-minded hobbits might get tiresome. Tom Bombadil's house is tempting, and a pied a terre in restored Osgiliath for some urban action.

Battlestar Galactica, and I get a cabin just like Adm. Adama's. And a house on pre-war Caprica just like the one Gaius Baltar used to have, minus the fur coverlet on the bed, though.

Austen: It would be nice to be the mistress of Pemberley, or Donwell Abbey, or Delaford, or whatever ship Captain Wentworth might be commanding at the moment.

Lovecraft: The Strange High House in the Mist, or that wonderful city of the Elder Things in Antarctica in its heyday.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
for me - in Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! --- to see a dragon and meet the hysterical Night Watch!
I'd love to meet Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax. And the Sweeper. And Vimes. And Ridcully. And...well, you get the idea. ;)
But the world (well, universe in this case) I really want to live in is the one Iain Banks's Culture novels are set in. Though I think I'd prefer the inquisitive Zetetic Elench to the Culture itself.

R.A Salvatore's world or Tolkien's when Faenor was alive. :D Cheers to elves!
Harry Potter goes too.
R.A Salvatore's world isn't actually R.A Salvatore's world. It's the much syndicated D&D world of Faerun. Used in loads of novels, computer games and D&D modules.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Austen's world might be fun, but only if I could be Elizabeth Bennett. Hmm... on second thought, no electricity or modern plumbing might get to me. In that case I might have to go with the popular Harry Potter/Hogwarts. I want my own magic wand, darn it.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
The Shire (from LOTR)
Hogwarts (from HP)
Lyra's universe (from His Dark Materials)
Dinotopia (check the paintings by James Gurney)

Status
Not open for further replies.