PDA

View Full Version : so what book would you want to live in...

Righting
06-13-2008, 12:39 AM
for me - in Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! --- to see a dragon and meet the hysterical Night Watch!

williemeikle
06-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I'd like to be in Amber in one of Roger Zelazny's books... preferably as one of the princes who have the ability to walk the shadows.

If not that, I'd love to visit Larry Niven's Ringworld, or Arthur C Clarke's Rama.

Willie

Soccer Mom
06-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Harry Potter.

I can has magic please?

Esopha
06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
The Phantom Tollbooth.

Please? Please please please?

Zodiea
06-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm going to go ahead and guess that we're not allowed to choose worlds from our own writing...:rolleyes:

I guess from looking at my bookshelf that my next pick would be the Inkworld by Cornelia Funke. That way, if there was something from another book I wanted, I could (or if we don't get the MC's powers, ask them to) read it out for myself.

Danger Jane
06-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Hogwarts would be awesome. That's why it makes for such fun reading!

Course, Lyra's universe from His Dark Materials sounds pretty glamorous...and it'd be cool to have a daemon...yep, that's the one.

DamaNegra
06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Definitely Lord of the Rings.

Bo Sullivan
06-13-2008, 04:36 AM
I'd like to live in the days of Oliver Twist and talk to him in the street, when he leaves the Orphanage and arrives in London. I would like to rescue him from Fagin and the Artful Dodger.

Barbara

Hollan
06-13-2008, 06:32 AM
This is a question I've thought about too often. I'd love to live in the Hidden Land (Secret Country Trilogy) so I could met Fence and be magic.

SPMiller
06-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I'd like to be in Amber in one of Roger Zelazny's books... preferably as one of the princes who have the ability to walk the shadows.Yup. That's exactly what I was gonna say, because I could find any reality I like.

And if we're dreaming, I'd also like to be a Logros initiate so I can do a bit of sorcery while I'm wandering between shadows.

RLB
06-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Hogwarts is pretty tempting. Or maybe one of those Bronte settings where I wander the moors in my flowy dress...

Jersey Chick
06-13-2008, 07:17 AM
When I was a kid, I always wanted to be in a Trixie Belden book - they got to do some pretty cool mystery-solving.

Nowadays??? Hmm... I'd probably have to say Harry Potter as well.

Beyondian
06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Narnia
Middle Earth
Anne McCafrey's Pern.
Do I have to choose just one?

blackpen
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
NARNIA!!! ::charges on silver and red armor::

triceretops
06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Logans Run

Virgin Planet.

Need you ask why?

Joycecwilliams
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Any book by Nichols Sparks.

KTC
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger... hands down.

sadron
06-13-2008, 03:14 PM
R.A Salvatore's world or Tolkien's when Faenor was alive. :D Cheers to elves!
Harry Potter goes too.

TPCSWR
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
One that has a lot of betting that I already know the results to, dunno exactly which.

Or maybe "The Day my Bum Went Psycho".

Phaeal
06-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, so many choices.

I'll start out in Galt's Gulch, Colorado, the utopia of the ornery, from Atlas Shrugged. Francisco d'Anconia has this great cabin there, and he's so lonely. ;)

The Regency England of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, where magic and the Raven King have returned to the land. My house would have to have one of those paintings that open into Faery.

LotR: Bag End would be a lovely place to live, but the rather narrow-minded hobbits might get tiresome. Tom Bombadil's house is tempting, and a pied a terre in restored Osgiliath for some urban action.

Battlestar Galactica, and I get a cabin just like Adm. Adama's. And a house on pre-war Caprica just like the one Gaius Baltar used to have, minus the fur coverlet on the bed, though.

Austen: It would be nice to be the mistress of Pemberley, or Donwell Abbey, or Delaford, or whatever ship Captain Wentworth might be commanding at the moment.

Lovecraft: The Strange High House in the Mist, or that wonderful city of the Elder Things in Antarctica in its heyday.

JimmyB27
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM
for me - in Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! --- to see a dragon and meet the hysterical Night Watch!
I'd love to meet Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax. And the Sweeper. And Vimes. And Ridcully. And...well, you get the idea. ;)
But the world (well, universe in this case) I really want to live in is the one Iain Banks's Culture novels are set in. Though I think I'd prefer the inquisitive Zetetic Elench to the Culture itself.

R.A Salvatore's world or Tolkien's when Faenor was alive. :D Cheers to elves!
Harry Potter goes too.
R.A Salvatore's world isn't actually R.A Salvatore's world. It's the much syndicated D&D world of Faerun. Used in loads of novels, computer games and D&D modules.

ink wench
06-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Austen's world might be fun, but only if I could be Elizabeth Bennett. Hmm... on second thought, no electricity or modern plumbing might get to me. In that case I might have to go with the popular Harry Potter/Hogwarts. I want my own magic wand, darn it.

Red-Green
06-13-2008, 07:04 PM
With the emphasis on the word live, the book I'd want to live in is The Stand. How sick is that? I love post-Apocalyptic scenarios.

Calla Lily
06-13-2008, 07:16 PM
In Tatsinda's world from Tatsinda by Elizabeth Enright.

Or the Shire.

I read lots of horror... don't want to live in any of those worlds. :D

HourglassMemory
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
The Shire (from LOTR)
Hogwarts (from HP)
Lyra's universe (from His Dark Materials)
Dinotopia (check the paintings by James Gurney)

Jenan Mac
06-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, Hogwarts is good. Or Katherine Kurtz's Deryni world, but only if the plumbing were better than I think it probably is.

gypsyscarlett
06-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Any of De Lint's Newford novels so I could hang with Jilly, Raven, the Crow Girls, and the like. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm so torn... if I could be Elizabeth I, Tudor England would be fun.

If I could be a captain, on some ship in Starfleet, about 400 years from now.

Righting
06-14-2008, 12:42 AM
i may have to use some Floo powder to get from Guards! Guards! to harry potter - Hogwarts would be awesome

Kitty Pryde
06-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Universe, because of all the awesome stuff to play with and places to visit.

vixey
06-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Wow! No one's chasing after Rhett in GWTW at the end??? Not my bag, but hey . . .

As a child I wanted to follow Lucy through the wardrobe, too.

The Stand, Redzilla? Really? I loved that book and it would be exciting reconstructing our world into something of our own design. Hmmmm.

My preference, and maybe it's because I have a thing for kilts, is Diana Gabaldon's, Outlander. But I'd have to learn to cope with no indoor plumbing. :(

Menyanthana
06-14-2008, 02:30 AM
To live? Maybe Narnia. Then again, may be too old-fashioned...Harry Potter...only with Voldemort already dead

Faolmor
06-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Mine :ROFL:

Middle Earth seems like a nice place to visit...and Narnia, definitely.

ETA: Keneally's Keltia would be cool, too. Celts in space. Who wouldn't want to go there?

Ziljon
06-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Desolation Island, by Patick O'Brian.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/71/Desolation_Island_Cover.jpg/200px-Desolation_Island_Cover.jpg

Faolmor
06-14-2008, 07:24 AM
To live? Maybe Narnia. Then again, may be too old-fashioned...Harry Potter...only with Voldemort already dead

And miss out on all the fun?

Of course, I guess it would depend if you entered as a "bit-part" character that was likely to get the green flashy, or as Harry's best bud...

Buddikins
06-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Mm I dunno really, they all sound like fun.
Probably Hogwarts though. It's the only place I can think of with plumbing :tongue

Fraulein
06-15-2008, 03:05 AM
In one of the Gatsby eggs circa 1925, East Egg or West Egg.

Soccer Mom
06-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Looks like I've got a lot of fellow Hogwarts residents! I need an oak wand and a big brown tabby cat.

HorsebackWriter
06-15-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd love to live in Merlin's Keep, which is one of my all time favorite books, written by Madeleine Brent. It was with a big smile and great shock that I found out yesterday, that she is actually a he!

Madeleine Brent is actually Peter O'Donnell in the flesh!

Anyway, it takes place in Tibet, India and England, (to give a sum-up that doesn't do the book justice), all places I'd love to visit one day.

Actually, this just gave me the idea for a new thread. I'll see you over there. : )

Em

HeronW
06-15-2008, 04:37 AM
100 Acre Wood with Pooh & Tigger & Piglet--I need some quiet and peace :}

Melenka
06-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I've lived without plumbing, and it's not as big an adjustment as you'd think. I'd like to live in Robert Jordan's world. Yeah, it's a wreck and there are awful things afoot, but there are still lives to be led, fun to be had, music and dancing. Oh, and everyone seems to bathe fairly regularly.

lisake
06-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Hmmmm...live in? Not sure, but it would probably be something more contemporary. There would at least have to be a fridge with some chilled Chardonnay. Unfortunately, Hogwarts probably has a ban on alcoholic beverages, so that rules out Harry Potter.

Hang out in? Maybe "High Fidelity." Sitting around Championship Vinyl all day compiling top-five lists, frequenting cool London pubs to just listen to Brits talk, and advising Rob on how to win Laura back.

geardrops
06-21-2008, 01:36 AM
I'd want to be Chrestomanci.