aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
http://www.blackle.com/about/
http://www.blackle.com/

Small steps and we all can reduce the use of energy and have a view days longer world at the last days of it - try this seek engin it works even better and faster than 'normal' google' ... then again, what is it actually that we seek on google? Haven't we got everything already? And 'surfing'? Are you 14 years old?

Anyway who cares to save the earth ... and a couple days extra ... ahhh what! Forget it. Keep on using google, yahoo, Microsoft. Nobody cares.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Doesn't work for me, I have my browser set to use my preferred Windows desktop colors. :wag:

-Derek

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Blackle's searches are not the same as Google searches. They come up with different results. WHY? They're supposed to be the same.

What does it matter? All things in life are always different ... look, nothing is as bad as having been happy before. That's the biggest unhappiness you can get, etc. blah and so on et al, see? Type my name in and see what lies you get about me! Famous writer and stuff! And at home I fix taps, water pipes, toilets ... writer, my a rse!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man... I initially thought this thread said "BLACKIE GOOGLE." I was like "What the hell kind of Google is that?"

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Worth noting is that the amount of energy you save is going to be based more on the monitor you are using than the color on the screen. i.e., If you are using an LCD monitor your savings comparison from blackle to google pretty much goes out the window.

If you are using a CRT, (deep, kinda squared off egg shaped) monitor it will make a difference. The power usage is higher if it has to provide more light (like white space) to the screen. (LCD's don't work the same way.)

LCD's are already much more energy efficient than CRT's. And searching places like newegg and tigerdirect, etc. can find you a pretty good deal on one.

oh, and yeah, blackle is a marketing idea. don't know that that makes it a bad one....

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Man... I initially thought this thread said "BLACKIE GOOGLE." I was like "What the hell kind of Google is that?"

Ever tried BOOGLE, FOOGLE, FROOGLE, DOOGLE? Try them with Blackle ... try your own name with BLACKLE

http://www.doogle.org/

Are you a basket player? You know basket players are too long. They have longer lungs, etc. Breath too much! In future they'll have to cut down on sizes ... saves energy! Not good news for long guys, is it? They'll have to be shorter. Girafs too in future are out. Like SUVS.

'With a little help from my friends...' etc.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Worth noting is that the amount of energy you save is going to be based more on the monitor you are using than the color on the screen. i.e., If you are using an LCD monitor your savings comparison from blackle to google pretty much goes out the window.

If you are using a CRT, (deep, kinda squared off egg shaped) monitor it will make a difference. The power usage is higher if it has to provide more light (like white space) to the screen. (LCD's don't work the same way.)

LCD's are already much more energy efficient than CRT's. And searching places like newegg and tigerdirect, etc. can find you a pretty good deal on one.

oh, and yeah, blackle is a marketing idea. don't know that that makes it a bad one....

interesting ... may be you are write with that 'marketing idea' - bad eh? Say and these 'Crystal' screen in laptops ... use a lot of energy?

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
... maybe short people are out too in the future. They got short legs and have to take more steps than medium sized people to get anywhere ... more footprints - is bad for the soil and the energy use of mother nature and all, see? Ok, the global warming is fine up to a point, say make Belgium 8 degrees warmer in summer, that's fine by me ... and less rain. But after that we have to stop. So ok, give the short people another 20 years or so. After that finished!

'people who need people are the luckiest people in the world' - nice song that one, no?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Say and these 'Crystal' screen in laptops ... use a lot of energy?

If you haven't found it already, On your laptop keyboard is probably an "Fn" or "Fun", "Func" key (Function). You'll find the same color stamped on other keys. Pressing the Function key while pressing those other keys performs a variety of.. um.. functions.

Warning: Don't get click happy until you know what they do. Among them will probably be a pair of keys that make the screen darker or brighter. (Good for working while sitting next to the window.)

And, to answer your question, the brighter the screen,the faster the battery dies.

One other useful note, particularly for those not used to freezing climates. "LCD" means Liquid Crystal Display. That's "liquid" as in, yes, you can freeze and destroy that screen. One of our administrators learned this the hard way when he took one of our 20 station labs to Chicago for a conference, damaged six machines.

By the way: Google Toolbar? IE, Firefox & Safari all offer you the option of making Google your default search, using the small window in the top right of the browser. The toolbar just sucks up available processor and RAM.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.blackle.com/about/

Small steps and we all can reduce the use of energy and have a view days longer world at the last days of it - try this seek engin it works even better and faster than 'normal' google' ... then again, what is it actually that we seek on google? Haven't we got everything already? And 'surfing'? Are you 14 years old?

Anyway who cares to save the earth ... and a couple days extra ... ahhh what! Forget it. Keep on using google, yahoo, Microsoft. Nobody cares.
I suppose this blackle thing might have been prompted by this Harper's Magazine article on Google with the lovely title "Keyword: Evil"

http://harpers.org/media/slideshow/annot/2008-03/index.html

I should go back to Dogpile, it's what I used before Google. Dogpile is a "meta" search engine, and searches in SEVERAL other search engines at once! Imagine how much electricity all those search engines use!!!:wag:

But can it compare pricewise to the 21-inch CRT monitors I've bought in the last year? Each one uses about 150 watts, but cost me less than $20 (I got one because a company was giving them away!). The electricity cost may be significant, but I think overall I'm coming out ahead - in a few years when these thing finally die, the larger flatscreen monitors will be much cheaper, and overall I will have saved money. Also, I'm keeping these big babies out of landfills (well, okay, truthfully, I'm probably just delaying the inevitable).

Oh, and speaking of search engines and big babies, there's (NOT SAFE FOR WORK! There's your warning, folks...) Booble, which is exactly what it sounds like.