PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnated writers

Danger Jane
06-12-2008, 04:30 AM
If you found out that you were the reincarnation of some dead writer, who do you think you were in that past life? Why? Sorry if this has been done before.

I bet I was Virginia Woolf, my very own patron saint (actually, my patron saint is Joan of Arc, but let's not get technical). Her stream of consciousness is totally my favorite literary [device?] and her execution is my favorite. Plus in my reading I discovered that she used to do stuff like introduce people by making up fake histories for them, on the spot...stuff that I do all the time.

ETA: No need for humility. Go ahead. You're Shakespeare V2.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 04:35 AM
What if the writer you're channeling isn't dead yet?

(of course, being a horror writer, i could *fix* that... :e2teeth: ) :D

I don't know that I could claim to be reincarnated from anybody, though I'd be willing to be the second coming of several of them. Like Phillip K Dick, or Raymond Chandler.

Danger Jane
06-12-2008, 04:37 AM
What if the writer you're channeling isn't dead yet?

Well, then, stop sucking their brilliance, of course! ...I dunno, say them anyway? :tongue

(of course, being a horror writer, i could *fix* that... :e2teeth: ) :D

I don't know that I could claim to be reincarnated from anybody, though I'd be willing to be the second coming of several of them. Like Phillip K Dick, or Raymond Chandler.

Oh, go ahead and claim it. Raymond Phillip K Chandler Dick, right here on AW, too!

JoNightshade
06-12-2008, 04:38 AM
She's not my favorite author or anything, but if I'm someone's reincarnated spirit, it's probably Louisa May Alcott. Is that corny or What? :)

kuwisdelu
06-12-2008, 04:45 AM
I'm the reincarnation of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Can't help it. Just am.

Our style has evolved since the 20's, of course, but we can't help being who we are.

Blondchen
06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Definitely Dorothy Parker.

kuwisdelu
06-12-2008, 04:51 AM
I could also be Jack Kerouac.

I'm not sure.

Their lives overlapped, though, so we can't be all three of us...

C.bronco
06-12-2008, 04:52 AM
If you can be reincarnated if you've been born while the writer is still alive, I'd hope I'm Raymond Carver. Otherwise I am most likely a haberdasher. Check this out:

"What size do you take? Nine? I think we have that..."

Haggis
06-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Travis Tea.

alleycat
06-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I might be Raymond Chandler as well. I know that if I read something by Chandler I will often start writing in his style, without intending or wanting to. At times like those I even start talking like one of his characters.

At night, if I get to waxing poetic, I could be Antoine de Saint Exupéry. I used to fly too.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-12-2008, 05:01 AM
I should be so lucky as to channel Diana Gabaldon...

Matera the Mad
06-12-2008, 05:42 AM
If I'm dead already, why aren't I famous? :tongue

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Oh, to be so blessed as to be Frances Hodgson Burnett recycled, of course retaining all the genius writing. No childhood is complete without The Secret Garden and The Little Princess.

I wrote a 286 page novel at age 12, and entitled it The Sun Will Rise Again (and I still have it in a manuscript box in my hope chest, just not the courage to actually read it) and people teased me that I must be the reincarnation of Ernest Hemingway, because of his novel (which I'd never heard of at that age) The Sun Also Rises, plus, we have the same birthday.

I found it unfunny when I grew up and found out he'd blown his head off.

Great thread, great fun! Thank you. : )

I've been to Hemingway's house in Key West. Oh, just to live in Key West, even in a houseboat, eating Jimmy Buffett's cheeseburgers in paradise and visiting margaritaville.

"I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on ..."

Margaritaville
Jimmy Buffett

Loved the polydactal Hemingway cats. In the backyard, there's a concrete sidewalk block full of six-toe paw prints dried into it.

Em

tehuti88
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
HP Lovecraft!

Just kidding. I don't have knowledge of enough authors to compare my writing style to theirs. Lovecraft was sure wordy, though.

Red-Green
06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
In grad school, I was accused of purposefully writing like DH Lawrence, but I really want to be Anthony Trollope reincarnated.

Dave.C.Robinson
06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Well I'd like the confidence of Thucydides, Mr. "I write for all time..." who said that over two millennia ago.

gypsyscarlett
06-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Fun question!

For me- Emily Bronte. No doubt. Of course, she's most famous for Wuthering Heights, but her poetry really speaks to me. Also, from bios I've read about her- she sounds a hell of a lot like me. We have very similar astrological charts. Yeah- I actually did hers to compare. :)

ink wench
06-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Cool question. I don't know who I'd be, but I once had someone refer to one of my stories as the "Jane Austen of fantasy." I think they meant it as a compliment, but given that fantasy is a genre that likes big action and not mundane people and relationships, it didn't come off as one.

Shadow_Ferret
06-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Some dead unknown pulp hack writer, I'd wager.

Kalyke
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Some nobody, most likely. I'm never lucky enough to be re-incarnated by someone big. I'm the one who ended up driving a school bus after selling five short stories to pulp magazines, to never be heard from again (though my work had a certain brilliance to it.)

alleycat
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Just please, don't let me be a reincarnated Henry James.

maxmordon
11-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Jorge Luis Borges; if I am not, I really really wish it... (not so far from Shakespeare 2.0)

Shady Lane
11-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Albert Camus, of course :)

maxmordon
11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
How does it end that unfinished manuscript you had when you died, Al?

Ou preferez-vous que je te questione en français? ;)

mscelina
11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Tennessee Williams.

Nakhlasmoke
11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I also want to be a reincarnated Fitzgerald, writing genre.

Works for me

maestrowork
11-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Travis Tea.

Travis Tea is alive and kicking.

maestrowork
11-13-2008, 10:43 AM
I aspire to be Hemingway, but I'm probably the reincarnation of Mark Twain. Or Agatha Christie, although she was still alive when I was born.

Bartholomew
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Bravo is the reincarnation of E. E. Cummings.

Dclary is the reincarnation of Bill Clinton. (This works because he created a time paradox when he first arrived in our century.)

I am the reincarnation of an 19th century Chinese diplomat, who was tied to a rocket and launched. Someday, explorers will find my past body in orbit, grinning like a demon.

Ageless Stranger
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Jack London and Richard Matheson.

My stories are strange beasts.

willietheshakes
11-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Interesting question (and me just drunk enough to answer it).

Actually, I've thought (since I was about thirteen years old) that I was the reincarnation of Japanese writer Yukio Mishima. It's the clubfoot, and the fact that I was born at the moment he killed himself, that seem to support the argument, though I seem to lack the fascist streak (and I like girls).

dpaterso
11-13-2008, 12:58 PM
E.E. "Doc" Smith and/or Edmond Hamilton.

-Derek

rostaria01
11-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I would have to be Wilfred Owen, he was a fantastic poetry writer in his time, He is classed as the famous world one poet. He was brutal in his dipications of everything and everyone

scarletpeaches
11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I am the bastard love child of Dorothy Parker* and Kazuo Ishiguro.

*No one else is allowed to claim this woman; poetinahat said I was like her. I don't think he meant looks or talent. Maybe "...as acidic, sarcastic and bitchy as."

KTC
11-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm the reincarnation of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Can't help it. Just am.

Our style has evolved since the 20's, of course, but we can't help being who we are.

I was gonna say him...but I think I'm just sickeningly obsessed with him. I will say William Somerset Maugham. This biographical passage sums up the reason nicely:

Maugham was forbidden to lose his temper, or to make emotional displays of any kind — and he was denied the chance to see others express their own emotions. He was a quiet, private but very curious child, and this denial of the emotion of others was at least as hard on him as the denial of his own emotions. Maugham was miserable. As a result, he developed a talent for applying a wounding remark to those who displeased him. This ability is sometimes reflected in the characters that populate his writings.

I'm not even remotely in his ballpark...but I see some similarities.

HeronW
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
For my silly stuff, De Seuss
for the horror, Le Fanu
for fantasy, CL Moore

Phaeal
11-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Charles Dickens. I can still taste the London smog, and occasionally I find blacking under my fingernails.

There might be a bit of E. F. Benson in there, too. And sorry, tehuti, but unless you live in Providence, you can't be the reincarnation of HPL. His soul would force you to return from the far corners of the world, as it did me. ;)

maestrowork
11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
There's a bit of Dickens in me, too. Mostly the long, drawn-out descriptions. ;)