Reincarnated writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
If you found out that you were the reincarnation of some dead writer, who do you think you were in that past life? Why? Sorry if this has been done before.

I bet I was Virginia Woolf, my very own patron saint (actually, my patron saint is Joan of Arc, but let's not get technical). Her stream of consciousness is totally my favorite literary [device?] and her execution is my favorite. Plus in my reading I discovered that she used to do stuff like introduce people by making up fake histories for them, on the spot...stuff that I do all the time.

ETA: No need for humility. Go ahead. You're Shakespeare V2.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What if the writer you're channeling isn't dead yet?

(of course, being a horror writer, i could *fix* that... :e2teeth: ) :D

I don't know that I could claim to be reincarnated from anybody, though I'd be willing to be the second coming of several of them. Like Phillip K Dick, or Raymond Chandler.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
What if the writer you're channeling isn't dead yet?

Well, then, stop sucking their brilliance, of course! ...I dunno, say them anyway? :tongue

(of course, being a horror writer, i could *fix* that... :e2teeth: ) :D

I don't know that I could claim to be reincarnated from anybody, though I'd be willing to be the second coming of several of them. Like Phillip K Dick, or Raymond Chandler.

Oh, go ahead and claim it. Raymond Phillip K Chandler Dick, right here on AW, too!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
She's not my favorite author or anything, but if I'm someone's reincarnated spirit, it's probably Louisa May Alcott. Is that corny or What? :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the reincarnation of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Can't help it. Just am.

Our style has evolved since the 20's, of course, but we can't help being who we are.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I could also be Jack Kerouac.

I'm not sure.

Their lives overlapped, though, so we can't be all three of us...

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
If you can be reincarnated if you've been born while the writer is still alive, I'd hope I'm Raymond Carver. Otherwise I am most likely a haberdasher. Check this out:

"What size do you take? Nine? I think we have that..."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I might be Raymond Chandler as well. I know that if I read something by Chandler I will often start writing in his style, without intending or wanting to. At times like those I even start talking like one of his characters.

At night, if I get to waxing poetic, I could be Antoine de Saint Exupéry. I used to fly too.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, to be so blessed as to be Frances Hodgson Burnett recycled, of course retaining all the genius writing. No childhood is complete without The Secret Garden and The Little Princess.

I wrote a 286 page novel at age 12, and entitled it The Sun Will Rise Again (and I still have it in a manuscript box in my hope chest, just not the courage to actually read it) and people teased me that I must be the reincarnation of Ernest Hemingway, because of his novel (which I'd never heard of at that age) The Sun Also Rises, plus, we have the same birthday.

I found it unfunny when I grew up and found out he'd blown his head off.

Great thread, great fun! Thank you. : )

I've been to Hemingway's house in Key West. Oh, just to live in Key West, even in a houseboat, eating Jimmy Buffett's cheeseburgers in paradise and visiting margaritaville.

"I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on ..."

Margaritaville
Jimmy Buffett

Loved the polydactal Hemingway cats. In the backyard, there's a concrete sidewalk block full of six-toe paw prints dried into it.

Em

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
HP Lovecraft!

Just kidding. I don't have knowledge of enough authors to compare my writing style to theirs. Lovecraft was sure wordy, though.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Fun question!

For me- Emily Bronte. No doubt. Of course, she's most famous for Wuthering Heights, but her poetry really speaks to me. Also, from bios I've read about her- she sounds a hell of a lot like me. We have very similar astrological charts. Yeah- I actually did hers to compare. :)

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Cool question. I don't know who I'd be, but I once had someone refer to one of my stories as the "Jane Austen of fantasy." I think they meant it as a compliment, but given that fantasy is a genre that likes big action and not mundane people and relationships, it didn't come off as one.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Some nobody, most likely. I'm never lucky enough to be re-incarnated by someone big. I'm the one who ended up driving a school bus after selling five short stories to pulp magazines, to never be heard from again (though my work had a certain brilliance to it.)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just please, don't let me be a reincarnated Henry James.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Jorge Luis Borges; if I am not, I really really wish it... (not so far from Shakespeare 2.0)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
How does it end that unfinished manuscript you had when you died, Al?

Ou preferez-vous que je te questione en français? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.