PDA

View Full Version : Manuscript As One File Or Divided Into Chapters

patrick bateman
06-12-2008, 03:08 AM
How do agents prefer to receive a manuscript from an author when they want it sent by email? The whole thing as one document or split up into chapters?

Ziljon
06-12-2008, 03:12 AM
One document.

waylander
06-12-2008, 03:14 AM
one file

stormie
06-12-2008, 03:15 AM
Yep. One file.

patrick bateman
06-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks, guys.

I was confused because a rather prestigious publishing company that a friend of mine is dealing with (second book comes out later this year) were fine with getting his chapters in separate Word documents. But he does non-fiction so perhaps either that company doesn't care either way how they receive it (they also request a hard copy as well as a CD) or things are different when it comes to non-fiction.

Good to know fiction people prefer one file because that's how I've set up my new novel already.

Mumut
06-12-2008, 04:00 AM
The publisher will give full details in the 'submissions' section of their website if they want it other than a single file.

patrick bateman
06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Is the first page of each chapter numbered? I've read that you don't but I can't figure out how you would implement not doing so when it's one big file because Word only allows you the option to skip the first page when it comes to number and not certain pages throughout the entire document.

Toothpaste
06-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Don't let things get too complicated for you. Make your book one file. Number all the pages. Even the title page, it's okay. The point of having numbers is so if the agent/editor drops the MS by mistake he can put it back in the right order. Put your name and title of the book in the header of each page as well. For the same reason (in this instance what if several MSs happened to fall on the floor . . . this distinguishes them from one another). It's about being practical, not aesthetically pleasing.

patrick bateman
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Toothpaste. I'll include a header and page number on each page. Then, when it comes time to submit, I'll carefully read what each agent I contact prefers and go with that.

mirrorkisses
07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks, guys.

I was confused because a rather prestigious publishing company that a friend of mine is dealing with (second book comes out later this year) were fine with getting his chapters in separate Word documents. But he does non-fiction so perhaps either that company doesn't care either way how they receive it (they also request a hard copy as well as a CD) or things are different when it comes to non-fiction.

Good to know fiction people prefer one file because that's how I've set up my new novel already.

I know this is over a month old, but let me say something. I bet the person who had to put the chapters in one file wasn't fine with it.

Fiction or not, don't ever put them in seperate files. I had to do this (being an intern) and it was not fun. Especially since the author had endnotes. I had to paste all the chapters in backward to make sure the forthcoming chapters didn't become endnotes themselves.

mirrorkisses
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Don't let things get too complicated for you. Make your book one file. Number all the pages. Even the title page, it's okay. The point of having numbers is so if the agent/editor drops the MS by mistake he can put it back in the right order. Put your name and title of the book in the header of each page as well. For the same reason (in this instance what if several MSs happened to fall on the floor . . . this distinguishes them from one another). It's about being practical, not aesthetically pleasing.

I can only imagine that a person would put their chapters in seperate files just so they could easily see how many pages there were per chapter. But yeah, keep them together and number them.