Do random things ever spark a flood of words from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes. All the time.
A conversation at a wake is what gave me the initial idea for a stolen christmas tree getting taken to a cemetary. ;)

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I read things that give me all sorts of ideas, but I've never had a spur-of-the-moment flood of words. I think this might be because I tend to have to sit and mull over story ideas before I can even think of writing anything. I'm a "let it percolate for a while"-type person. Otherwise, I know my writing will go nowhere!

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy having a flood of words!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
With a name like that, it's little wonder he became a spammer.

Usually it's just a word or two that prompts me to write. Last Sunday it was Rain. (if prompted, type flashed)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
So I am not crazy, then?

Well, you ARE crazy, but this happens to others too.

Place names do it for me. Stumpy Point. Great Dismal Swamp. Kirk Deighton.

That last one is a place I used to pass when I was driving to and from college many years ago and I used it as the name for the hero of my novel.

But you are not alone, dude. :D

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. Last night I was, for some reason, reading a study guide for To the Lighthouse...which I read for pleasure. No need to study it. Something on there about Modernism got my wheels turning, and five hours later I had four pages of quickly-scrawled notes resurrecting a long-dead WIP in totally revamped form. It's like everything just

It's weird how things pop into our heads. Thanks, Bibliomania.com note on Modernism.

Last September, I reached up my arm to stretch in English class and my ring knocked against the wall. It was totally silent other than that; we were taking a quiz or writing an essay or something. Two sentences popped into my head, and I knew they came from the mind of a character, not mine: "My ring clattered against the wall. In the perfect silence, it felt like a sin." Last night, while writing my notes inspired by the study guide, I realized that that line belongs to this story.

I love how brains are :D

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Last September, I reached up my arm to stretch in English class and my ring knocked against the wall. It was totally silent other than that; we were taking a quiz or writing an essay or something. Two sentences popped into my head, and I knew they came from the mind of a character, not mine: "My ring clattered against the wall. In the perfect silence, it felt like a sin." Last night, while writing my notes inspired by the study guide, I realized that that line belongs to this story.

I love how brains are :D

I love and hate this. I hate it when I have half an idea. Y' know when you have this great little nugget of creativity, but you just know it's not enough to carry a story.

Then some time later (weeks, months, years) you have another idea and it's also not enough, but you realize it just fits another one perfectly. I make a note of all my ideas, but I never have to go looking for the mate. It's like as soon as this second piece pops into my head, I automatically remember the bit that's been kicking around waiting for it. That second part is the bit I love.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP began with something like that. I often have moments like that spark huge spurts of frantic typing.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I love and hate this. I hate it when I have half an idea. Y' know when you have this great little nugget of creativity, but you just know it's not enough to carry a story.

Then some time later (weeks, months, years) you have another idea and it's also not enough, but you realize it just fits another one perfectly. I make a note of all my ideas, but I never have to go looking for the mate. It's like as soon as this second piece pops into my head, I automatically remember the bit that's been kicking around waiting for it. That second part is the bit I love.

I kind of love it. I store them somewhere in my brain and say, "All right, cool, be ready for me when I need you." And I focus on something else.

Til I realize just where it fits :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the moments of goofy inspiration. One of the interesting things I do is docket in People's Court. (Yes, shows like Judge Judy actually come and mine our courts for cases. If the parties agree, their case is dismissed and they sign a binding agreement to appear on the show and abide by her rulings.) Anyway, I sit across from strangers all day and listen to them rattle on about their problems. At least once or twice a day I find myself thinking You are so in one of my stories.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
A woman who lived across the canal from me one winter didn't have a full-length mirror on her boat. In spring, after feasting on French cuisine for several months, she looked into my mirror and said, 'Those can't possibly be my thighs!'

I wrote those words down and a 95K novel evolved.

C'est la vie, as they say in England.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Naw, you're not crazy. Or at least not any more crazy than the rest of us, it appears. :)

I don't get floods of words, but I get little flashes all of the time from random things. My current favorite surprise gift was when my husband was telling me a story about a friend of his. She just recently started online dating, and met up with someone for a date she'd only met over the internet prior.

He showed up wearing bib-alls(overalls), a red polo shirt, and dress shoes. There's more, but that image just glowed in my mind. That guy is going to be a character in a book, and he's going to wear that exact outfit. :D

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
The sights I saw while visitng nudist resort near Disney World unleashed a HUGE torrent of words! (I kept my clothes on.) Couldn't wait to get to my keyboard. Ended up being one of my most popular blog entries ever.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
*sigh*

No. I wish it did. I blogged about this the other day, because I really wish I was one of those people who was easily inspired by such random acts of randomness. I have a friend who absolutely bleeds plot. A simple phrase, a broken chess piece, a stalled car . . . you name it, he can come up with something to write about it.

I think it's part of the fiction versus non-fiction hardwiring thingy. I don't write fiction, I've said before, because I can't plot! I write non-fiction because, well, at least the basics of the story are kinda plotted out for me in advance, and I can take it from there. (As I've said before, I'm not a good plotter, I'm more of a good explainer...)

Anyway, no. Alas.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Yes sometimes. Just when I'm not able to be at the computer..

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I was in a video game store when the title "whispers in the dark" came into my head for a short story I was writing at the time. It was so random. I have no idea where it came from. It was perfect for the title. I got so excited I almost did a happy dance in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.