Men writing menstruation (GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
They start the same but maybe they shouldn't mix. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll rant :D

I was rereading Feist and ran across a passage where Miranda, who has been a sorceress for a loooong time and looks young but is post-menopausal, has some magic go through her and feels odd. Later, she suddenly realizes she experienced menstrual cramps as the magic restored her fertility. I laughed at that. Honestly, if you're having menstrual cramps, YOU KNOW. Seriously gentlemen, there's nothing confusing about one's uterus being squeezed like an unripe orange for juice. Even when you haven't had them in a while. They are completely unlike intestinal cramps, even when mild, there's no way of confusing it.

Also, I'm told in "Mirror Mirror" that Gregory Maguire describes the menstrual blood "gushing" and "bursting" and the room covered in it. Whoever is going through that, needs to call 911. Menstrual blood doesn't "burst" or "gush" or goddess forbid "explode". Old Faithful is what you might call a woman if you've been married to her for 70 years (and she's deaf so she won't wack you over the head).

I have yet to read a male author who gives an accurate account of menstruation (allowing for the difference between individual women).

Now, if I could only find books by male authors with a woman with a yeast infection or something...

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Finally :D An honest one :D LOL

I'm thinking maybe us ladies should create an encyclopedia about how female anatomy does NOT work :D But then, maybe it would give too many sisterhood secrets away. We don't want to tip our hands too much but here's some info anyway.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thump, if we told about U KNOW WHAT we would have to kill them and that would be tragic. It's better to let some things remain a mystery.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
We could tell the ones we don't like.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
For some painfully honest period poesy, you need to hunt down some Lucille Clifton and Anne Sexton. Both of these women were somewhat preoccupied with, um, matters endometrial.

This is all taking me back to my Women's Studies electives. Now I feel like listening to Natalie Merchant and earnestly planning the next Take Back the Night rally in somebody's dorm room.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
I'll prepare a list >: D

Oh, yeah, I've read some of Anne Sexton back in B.A. times. The Women's Lit class was really fascinating but the only guy who was there left before the second class. Women are expected to study a bunch of old guys but the men don't need to read about the women's experience. Ok, that's a rant for another time :p Otherwise, my rabit feminisit alter-ego will wake up :D

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll prepare a list >: D

Oh, yeah, I've read some of Anne Sexton back in B.A. times. The Women's Lit class was really fascinating but the only guy who was there left before the second class. Women are expected to study a bunch of old guys but the men don't need to read about the women's experience. Ok, that's a rant for another time :p Otherwise, my rabit feminisit alter-ego will wake up :D

Did you say rabit? :D

modbunnehduz128576046496522543.jpg

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Man, the worst part about periods that most male writer dudes don't know is: blood isn't the only thing that comes out..........

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to offer one, small ray of hope for my gender. (Maybe.)

The creator of the newspaper comic strip "Luanne" is a guy. As "Luanne" *used* to age ... lately she and her gang seem to have entered a slowing time warp... she started off pre-pubescent. As such, when the time came, it was something her creator had to deal with.

He has a section on his website where he talks about this (and about the censorship he had to try and pre-empt) and how he handled the whole subject. When I read it, I thought it was a very thoughtful, understanding approach to the whole thing.

But I'm a guy. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
In our defense, you don't actually see the other stuff come out, it all just looks like lumpy goopy blood. Your welcome.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
In our defense, you don't actually see the other stuff come out, it all just looks like lumpy goopy blood. Your welcome.

Oh geez, flashback to jr. hi when I started my period. I had NO FRICKIN CLUE WTF was wrong with me, cuz I was pretty damn sure I was supposed to be leaking blood, not red jello.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe us ladies should create an encyclopedia about how female anatomy does NOT work But then, maybe it would give too many sisterhood secrets away. We don't want to tip our hands too much but here's some info anyway.
This is interesting because I know how the female reproductive system cycles, including the interaction of the sex steroids and the pituitary gonadotropins, the interaction of these two sets of hormones (both positive and negative feedback, including one case of concentration-dependent switch), and all of the implications for ovulation, the proliferation of the uterine lining (with the formation of blood sinuses), and the eventual shedding of that lining. I can even go over the whole thing and explain in excruciatingly hormonal detail what happens with a pregnancy, how another uterine hormone helps maintain the uterine lining (and how it is the one used to test for pregnancy), and how birth control pills work into the mix. However, I can not possibly know how the shedding of the uterine lining feels, just as a woman would have a tough time explaining all the internal sensory manifestations of the male orgasm. The authors mentioned screwed up in one way--they didn't do their research. How to do that research? Ask several females and then have them crit the resulting passage. For any woman writing a male orgasm, I'd suggest the same thing.

As a note, I am blown away each year when I teach the female cycle to college students--by how many of both males AND females don't know what is really happening and why.

Your biological functions are not magical or confounding, but they should come with an instruction manual--written for both males and females. And, if I ever want to write about some female specific sensory experience, I hope y'all will be willing to provide solid information and a crit of the result.

As a addendum, a special rep point to any female who can explain why when a man is kicked in the scrotum he feels a dull (and intense) achey pain in the lower back, up around the kidney region (in addition to the acute pain in the area of contact).

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I suppose that's possible. It's not like I check through it so see if there's a stray diamond or anything.

I'd notice a goat for sure though.

Oh geez, flashback to jr. hi when I started my period. I had NO FRICKIN CLUE WTF was wrong with me, cuz I was pretty damn sure I was supposed to be leaking blood, not red jello.

Um.. stop. Please. Low threshold for icky stuff here. Esp after eating. *urp*

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I research to make sure my details are accurate. Whatever the topic. You're lumping us together again. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.