Do the same rules apply for "literary fiction" books?

dear_swan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaswan.com
I know how crucial it is to have a literary agent in order to place commercial fiction with the right publishers, but do the same rules apply for literary fiction? Would i have better luck of approaching publishers directly for my lit fic ms?

Also, are there publishers who specialize in (or are well-known for) literary fiction? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
On a guess, I'd imagine it would be even more important with a literary novel. You might have better luck networking with agents/publishers on your own in the literary field, particularly if you have been to certain writing workshops, studied with respected teachers, etc. But you would still want an agent, sooner rather than later, and I'd think it would be even more critical to have someone to help you position a literary novel, which doesn't have the benefit of easy commercial comparisons.

dear_swan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaswan.com
Thanks and I know what you mean Carmy, but I was wondering if those agents who might "say" they are looking for literary fiction are in fact only looking for commercial-literary fiction and not true literary fiction, or are agents still the only way to go?

dear_swan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaswan.com
and one other question (i'm new and still learning, so bear with me :) -- why was my post moved to the Ask the Agent thread? Wouldn't agents be a tad biased about this? I was actually hoping to a pub or writers who have published in literary fiction to hear their experiences.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks and I know what you mean Carmy, but I was wondering if those agents who might "say" they are looking for literary fiction are in fact only looking for commercial-literary fiction and not true literary fiction, or are agents still the only way to go?

Can you please explain how and what differentiates literary fiction from commercial literary fiction? Sounds like you think one won't sell while the other will, although I'm sure that's not the case.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Depends where you want to be published. Many small presses will accept unagented manuscripts. Most big publishers won't (or will, but it'll take much longer to get read).

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Literary fiction vs: Commercial Literary Fiction

Depends where you want to be published. Many small presses will accept unagented manuscripts. Most big publishers won't (or will, but it'll take much longer to get read).

Yes, that's true in many cases. But do you think that's Swan's point? After all, even though some small presses (not all that many) are easier to reach without an agent, they are also in the business to make money -- therefore, they have to be commercially successful. So, it seems to me that from the get-go Swan might be better off spending time seeking the all important agent. If on her own she submits to small presses and is rejected, it will only make it harder to engage an agent having a string of rejections she would have to refer to.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Can you please explain how and what differentiates literary fiction from commercial literary fiction? Sounds like you think one won't sell while the other will, although I'm sure that's not the case.

Darned if I know. Sorry.

IMHO, I would class Margaret Attwood as a literary novelist. I've only once tried to read her work though.

KDJamison

Registered
Reaction score
I'm coming in late on this, but since I write literary fiction, I thought I'd give it a go. Lit fic is more character focused, more focused on themes, meaning the plot but also what that means in a universal way. It may also have more focus on language, but that isn't necessarily the case. Commercial fiction tends to have more focus on plot, the narrative doesn't try to say something about larger issues such as death or intimacy or loneliness etc. The flip definition I've heard of commercial fiction is you'd find it in an airport bookstore and you'd probably be able to finish it on a US coast to coast flight.

kd

dear_swan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaswan.com
thanks, KD. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question but I'm clear on the definition of lit fict--but i was actually wondering if the same rules apply to getting a lit fic manuscript published vs. getting a commercial ms published.

Specifically, I was wondering if i should take my LF ms around to publishers or if i should go the agent route.

thanks! :)

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not the category of the work you write, it's the publishers you're approaching. Some publishers take unagented work, be it commercial pot boilers or literary fiction. Some publishers really prefer to see work on through agents.

Many small publisher and university presses take unagented work.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I would search for agents who want literary fiction (check their clients as well--are they what you would consider literary?) and also submit to the small publishers who accept unagented work at the same time.

alexalex

Registered
Reaction score
I am a literary writer who was told that it was impossible to sell a literary novel without an agent. In researching the field, I found many agents who say they represent literary/ and or commercial fiction. I targeted my queries to those who said both, and many rejections later, have managed to land an agent interested in pure literary fiction. I'd think it would be hard to navigate the publishing jungle without that back up. Your hard work and efforts will be better served in finding an agent who can then help you the rest of the way.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Literary Agent

I am a literary writer who was told that it was impossible to sell a literary novel without an agent. In researching the field, I found many agents who say they represent literary/ and or commercial fiction. I targeted my queries to those who said both, and many rejections later, have managed to land an agent interested in pure literary fiction. I'd think it would be hard to navigate the publishing jungle without that back up. Your hard work and efforts will be better served in finding an agent who can then help you the rest of the way.

Would you mind sharing the name of your agent?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Try researching the agents and publishers of LitFic authors you admire. For example, if the writing was in the same vein as Margaret Atwood, then find out who her agent is; her agent will obviously have a strong knowledge and good contacts in the appropriate market.