PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh crap

StoryG27
06-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I hate owning up to mistakes. I made one the other day. Realized it. Just emailed my CEO to tell her what I did. I'm waiting to hear that I'm fired.

What a stupid time to quit smoking.

Shadow_Ferret
06-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Aw. Sorry you made a mistake.

Sorry you might get fired.

But...

whadja do? Huh? What? Huh?

StoryG27
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't even get to have any fun, do anything juicy or exciting to get fired (probably). I took on another employee's work load so she could go on vacation while her hubby was home on R&R (from deployment) and I have been really swamped. I was buried with work. I made a stupid mistake.

My stomach is in knots. I tried to put in a few suggestions of how we could go about fixing or hoping to fix the mistake in the email to my CEO, but mostly, I just plain said: I f*cked up, here's how, here's why, here's what we might be able to do to fix. Sorry.

StoryG27
06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Okay, I realize I'm pretty much talking to myself here, but I can't help it. I'm just very nervous. She always answers my emails right away. I should hear from her soon. I bet she's pissed. I doubt she'll fire me through the email itself though. She wouldn't. Would she? No, she wouldn't.

Mela
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
deep breath, storygirl, deep breath.
You might... try to ... phone her?

Angelinity
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
if your CEO ladyboss has any brains she'll keep ya. ain't easy to find good people -- people who will own up to a mistake. i'd keep ya for sure. if she don't, only means you can do muchmuch better.

Stew21
06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I agree with Ang. The person who doesn't own the mistakes, or just sits back and waits for someone else to notice - the person who cowers from the accountability - are the ones who get in really deep water. People respect honesty - especially when honesty is uncomfortable. that you offered up possible solutions is a definite positive.
If your CEO is smart, I don't think you'll have to worry about your job.
It's hard to find people with that level of integrity.

You might have to take a couple of lumps over this, but I don't think it should result in a firing.

Hold tight. worry doesn't solve anything. Be proud of yourself for handling it the way you did.

StoryG27
06-11-2008, 11:47 PM
deep breath, storygirl, deep breath.
You might... try to ... phone her?*deep inhale, deep exhale* Thanks. My CEO is out of town for the week and asked that we contact her through email. Normally, I'd just walk into her office and tell her. I guess. I don't have a "normal" yet for when I screw up like this.

if your CEO ladyboss has any brains she'll keep ya. ain't easy to find good people -- people who will own up to a mistake. i'd keep ya for sure. if she don't, only means you can do muchmuch better.
Ah, that makes me smile. Well, she is very intelligent, but I've seen five or six people get the boot since I started working there just over a year ago and we're not a big company.

I agree with Ang. The person who doesn't own the mistakes, or just sits back and waits for someone else to notice - the person who cowers from the accountability - are the ones who get in really deep water. People respect honesty - especially when honesty is uncomfortable. that you offered up possible solutions is a definite positive.
If your CEO is smart, I don't think you'll have to worry about your job.
It's hard to find people with that level of integrity.

You might have to take a couple of lumps over this, but I don't think it should result in a firing.

Hold tight. worry doesn't solve anything. Be proud of yourself for handling it the way you did.
I know you're right. Worrying doesn't help at all. And it's not like I purposefully screwed it up, it was an accident and I admitted to it. I think I feel worse because it wasn't my file. It was a file for the lady I'm covering for.

Thanks all. I really am trying to stay calm. Ack, I just got an email from her! Be back soon. Gotta go read it.

Tink
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Gosh, Storygirl, hope everything is ok. Keep us posted. I am keepin' my fingers crossed for you. :)

Round John Virgin
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
You did the right thing. Be proud of that, regardless of the outcome. (I'm betting your boss will appreciate the heads-up.)

Mela
06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
and now that I'm thinking about it - you accepted someone else's workload, which made your workload pile even bigger. Did you volunteer to do it or was it forced on you?

It sounds like you took on more than was reasonable but that's always the case in this work environment. Think happy thoughts.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, that email didn't help at all!

She basically said, she was busy and couldn't look into one of the suggestions I made, and that I should seek the advice of a co-worker who has been here for years. That co-worker isn't even at the office today. Hasn't been since CEO took off for the week.

Knowing my boss, if I can manage to fix all this, smooth it over, I'll be fine. But if I can't, I will think everything is fine, then one day walk in and find boxes on my desk and a request for the return of my key. The worse thing, it is going to be days before I know if one hopeful fix scenario I have in place pans out. Maybe she'll wait until then to decide whether or not she can overlook this stumbling block.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
and now that I'm thinking about it - you accepted someone else's workload, which made your workload pile even bigger. Did you volunteer to do it or was it forced on you?

CEO suggested I do it.

Shadow_Ferret
06-12-2008, 12:05 AM
CEO suggested I do it.
Obviously she had enough faith in you to think that you could do both jobs. You made a mistake, but you've owned up to it and now are going to do what you can to remedy the mistake.

I don't think they can ask much more of you than you've already given.

Angelinity
06-12-2008, 12:06 AM
chill. CEO's don't want to get involved with the nitty gritty, all they want to hear is that everything is running smoothly and and there's more and bigger business coming in.

so, what was this fuckup exactly?

Snowstorm
06-12-2008, 12:14 AM
If your CEO suggested you take on extra workload that tells me your CEO has great faith in you. Plus, knowing that, the CEO takes some responsibility of that extra work--and potential for errors. That you made a mistake while being overworked and trying your best AND you owned up to it means even more!

Not knowing what happened and its impact on the company, I can only guess and hope nothing else comes of it. I'm sorry you have to worry about all this in this pergatory. Best wishes to you.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Obviously she had enough faith in you to think that you could do both jobs. You made a mistake, but you've owned up to it and now are going to do what you can to remedy the mistake.

I don't think they can ask much more of you than you've already given.Oh, I'm in the mortgage business. Here, they can ask for blood.

:e2teeth:

chill. CEO's don't want to get involved with the nitty gritty, all they want to hear is that everything is running smoothly and and there's more and bigger business coming in.

so, what was this fuckup exactly?
My CEO is very hands on. She used to have my exact job. And the mess up, it's all about a damn rate on a stupid loan that I didn't prequalify myself and that I didn't quote, but I did the loan application. This poor client has been through three people in the company (co-worker, CEO, and me), obviously none of us communicated very well, and it ended with me. Final papers were signed with me. I messed it up and it may cost the company and the co-worker money, and of course, may eventually cost me my job.

sassandgroove
06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
That's me holding your hand, if you were wondering.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
You know what, I'm actually starting to feel better. There is nothing I can do about this for a few days. If I get fired, I get fired. Though I will feel badly for the co-worker if I can't fix this, but I am going to try. Getting fired wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd just take the summer off. Be with my kiddos.

sassandgroove
06-12-2008, 12:28 AM
See- talking about it helps.

kristie911
06-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Take a deep breath, SG. Everyone screws up...the best thing you can do is own up to that mistake and that's exactly what you did. If you get fired over it, then they don't know what a good employee they had and you deserve a better job.

PS...Sass might have one hand but that's me holding the other. Let's all go have a drink. :)

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Woo-hoo! Drinks sound awesome.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Yep, that's the way to go. Summer off.

Although I am sure you'll be able to fix it, and it doesn't sound to me like you're going to get the boot. If there's nothing you can do yet, then there's nothing you can do, and all worrying will do is make you feel worse. Worrying solves nothing.

Take a deep breath (and realize that you *can* breathe deep without smoking :) ), relax, and vent when you need to. Like you did today. That's what communities (and dare I say friends?) are for, after all. :D

(I'd offer you a job but a: it's very premature for that and b: I'm not sure what we'd *do* with someone in the mortgage industry around here... :) But lately I've had little to do besides surf, so hey, what more could you want? :D)

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Take a deep breath (and realize that you *can* breathe deep without smoking :) ), relax, and vent when you need to. Like you did today. That's what communities (and dare I say friends?) are for, after all. :D
I can breath deep without smoking?!?! I think you're a damn liar!!!

*makes sure no one is looking, takes deep breath, coughs, air is fresh, no chemicals, not sure how to breath regular air. . .tries again, ahhh, not so bad*

(I'd offer you a job but a: it's very premature for that and b: I'm not sure what we'd *do* with someone in the mortgage industry around here... :) But lately I've had little to do besides surf, so hey, what more could you want? :D)
Um, I'll take a job surfing. Don't know how to do it or where to begin in TN, but it sounds fun!

Shadow_Ferret
06-12-2008, 12:39 AM
PS...Sass might have one hand but that's me holding the other. Let's all go have a drink. :)

Wait. Then what am I holding?

Oh!

:o

Sorry.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Wait. Then what am I holding?

Oh!

Sorry.

No one told you stop.

;)

slcboston
06-12-2008, 12:45 AM
No one told you stop.

;)

Whoa. What did I just walk into? :D

Angelinity
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
My CEO is very hands on.

not. a hands-on leader would take on at least part of the burden and do her best to fix the problem -- NOT delegate and wash her hands of the whole mess.

She used to have my exact job.

sounds like a career monkey.i wouldn't trust her to hold my bath soap.

And the mess up, it's all about a damn rate on a stupid loan that I didn't prequalify myself and that I didn't quote, but I did the loan application. This poor client has been through three people in the company (co-worker, CEO, and me), obviously none of us communicated very well, and it ended with me. Final papers were signed with me. I messed it up and it may cost the company and the co-worker money, and of course, may eventually cost me my job.

sounds like there's serious money at stake here. but you came up with solutions, you need to explore them. don't wait for the problem to be fixed for you, take charge: call -- i do mean CALL not e-mail -- the person who supposedly could help you. propose and demand support.

if you sit and wait they'll be walking all over you.

don't be afraid to show you are more helpful, sharper and more resourceful. if they back away to let you take the fall, then fix it the best you can and leave this job, go find employers who will appreciate you.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Whoa. What did I just walk into?

Pff, you have such a dirty mind.

No wonder I like you.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Um, I'll take a job surfing. Don't know how to do it or where to begin in TN, but it sounds fun!

on the net, not on water. Though if you know of any positions opening in hawaii, I'd be happy to hear about it. :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:54 AM
sounds like there's serious money at stake here. but you came up with solutions, you need to explore them. don't wait for the problem to be fixed for you, take charge: call -- i do mean CALL not e-mail -- the person who supposedly could help you. propose and demand support.
Yeah, I have decided this is completely up to me. The person she said to seek advice from isn't going to help me. I already know that. And I can't do anything yet, I have to sit, I have to wait, I have to pray the market doesn't worsen before the 18th of June, because if my idea holds out at all, that'll be my first, last, and slim chance to fix this. It's weird how it all works, but that, unfortunately is the way the financial cookie crumbles. I just want it to work out for my co-worker.

Honestly, if I loose this job, I'll just go back to being a SAHM for a while. I miss it anyway.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 12:56 AM
on the net, not on water. Though if you know of any positions opening in hawaii, I'd be happy to hear about it. :D
*blush* Well, I feel silly. Yeah, obviously, I surf the 'net a lot too. Usually I'm pretty slow, just the first part of this week was insane. And well, you know the rest.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Honestly, if I loose this job, I'll just go back to being a SAHM for a while. I miss it anyway.

I'm so bad at acronyms. let's see... sexy and humorous mistress?

Did I get that right? :D

sassandgroove
06-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Ferret pushed me.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Ferret pushed me.
Wow. You need to work on your delivery. A one line story has to have kick. I found myself bored by the second word. Go back and try again.

*This is actually what I said to my daughter a couple of years ago when she came in saying my son had pushed her. She cocked her head, looked so confused, left, came back about twenty minutes later with brother in tow and gave an astounding, dramatic reenactment of the "event" slightly embellished for theatrical elements and it was hilarious*

And Boston, I like your definition for the acronym better. Indeed, I do. :D

sassandgroove
06-12-2008, 01:58 AM
OK well see, you came in all upset saying, "Ahh crap." So i came over to hold your hand to make you feel better, see. Then Kristie sat on the other side of you and did the same thing. And we listened and a whole bunch of people listenend and offered advice. Then Ferret, see, he comes over to grope you and pushes me. !

Is that better?

You knows I love you Ferret...

me. !
that's a typo but I kind of like the effect.

soleary
06-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Story, I recently left a position as an officer in a company, and you would be my DREAM employee. We are human, and that's why it's called "human error." Employees who realize mistakes and own up to them are RARE. I applaud you for your COURAGE and HONESTY, and if your CEO is worth anything, she'll realize what a VALUE you are to her and the company. Good luck, and keep me posted.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 02:12 AM
OK well see, you came in all upset saying, "Ahh crap." So i came over to hold your hand to make you feel better, see. Then Kristie sat on the other side of you and did the same thing. And we listened and a whole bunch of people listenend and offered advice. Then Ferret, see, he comes over to grope you and pushes me. !

Is that better?

Much, thank you! :D

Story, I recently left a position as an officer in a company, and you would be my DREAM employee. We are human, and that's why it's called "human error." Employees who realize mistakes and own up to them are RARE. I applaud you for your COURAGE and HONESTY, and if your CEO is worth anything, she'll realize what a VALUE you are to her and the company. Good luck, and keep me posted.
Wow, thanks. That feels awfully nice to hear.

wyntermoon
06-12-2008, 02:33 AM
We'll be in the bread lines together. I missed a deadline that was hidden in a meandering email and will now have a lecture on it tomorrow from my boss. I don't mind the lecture, I messed up, I wish they'd stop taking pictures and circulating the humiliation afterwards. Bastids.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 02:49 AM
Circulating pictures? Hmm, I might have a way to keep my job.

JK.

They won't say a word to me until it comes to "You're Fired." That's just how it goes.

HeronW
06-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Would it help to tell the noncooperative co-worker that you all's boss ASKED him/her to assist you? Send an email memo to him/her and cc to the boss 'I'm following your suggestion and asking XXX to help me'. This will force XXX to help or have a pretty damned skippy excuse not to.

Good luck.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 02:54 AM
It's a good suggestion, but XXX is a nice person who already gets a lot shoved on her plate and is becoming overwhelmed, maybe a tad withdrawn, can't blame her. Everything from this point on is really a judgement call anyway. That's why I wanted to let my CEO see if she wanted to make her own call because I obviously made a bad one, but she can't or doesn't want to. So, I'll just have to wait, try, and hope.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Wait, what happened to the drinking, hand holding, and *accidental* groping?

Or wasn't that working anymore? :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Are you kidding?

That ALWAYS works.

:D

slcboston
06-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Hmm, let's see...

I'm afraid I'm temporarily out of alcohol...

I think both your hands were already being held...

Guess that just leaves "option C"? :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Ahh, you're such a generous fellow. Giving what you can.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 03:18 AM
the problem is, every comeback that comes to mind right now starts with a variation of "it's not much" or "it's the least"... not really the tone I want to set. :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 03:21 AM
the problem is, every comeback that comes to mind right now starts with a variation of "it's not much" or "it's the least"... not really the tone I want to set. :D
:roll:

slcboston
06-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Well, I suppose making you laugh works, too. :D

(and at least the laughter started when everyone still had their clothes on... for once. :D )

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 03:42 AM
:ROFL:

You are too funny. Laughing works, works well. I too appreciate it when the laughter is saved for times when all are clothed, screaming too. I really hate it when I undress only to hear a chorus of tortured souls screaming, "Put your clothes back on!"

slcboston
06-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I really hate it when I undress only to hear a chorus of tortured souls screaming, "Put your clothes back on!"

You undress in front of a chorus?? :Wha:

Somehow that was more than I wanted to know about your "personal" life. :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Only in church. I still don't understand why I've been banned.

No, I hear the chorus in my head, all of the past screams, mixing with the current. It's so sad.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Really? You get a chorus?

Hmph. The voice in my head sings solo. And off key, too. :)

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 04:13 AM
Ha! It's funny how our insecurities sound, huh?

I'm sure you've never been laughed at. . .naked. :D

Those around me swear men actually smile, even leer when I'm in my bikini. But I still hear that chorus, and they sing quite beautifully I must say! :D

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:14 AM
Amen and Hallelujah SG. I know how you feel on that one. Kids..really cute, sure-fire ways to wreck a half decent body, but great for cuddles, hugs and kisses!

slcboston
06-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Maybe that's just my voice I'm hearing then...

Does it count as the voice in your head when it speaks out loud?

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Umm, no.

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm not the one to ask that. If anyone got ahold of the stuff I wrote as a teenager, I'd still be in the insane asylum.

slcboston
06-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Umm, no.

Whew! That's a relief. All this time I thought I was hearing voices, and now I know I was just talking to myself. Major improvement. :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 04:20 AM
You're not crazy, just a little insane.

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:24 AM
There's a difference?

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Yes, he's not sick, he's unwell.

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:33 AM
I reiterate...there's a difference?

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm just regurgitating old song lyrics, just having fun.

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:44 AM
*nods and smiles, smiles and nods*

slcboston
06-12-2008, 04:45 AM
I'm just regurgitating old song lyrics, just having fun.

so THAT's what your av is doing. All this time I thought it was a hairball. :D

Kitrianna
06-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Night SG. See y`all next week.

sassandgroove
06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
HAve things improved today Story GIrl?

:Hug2:

I told my husband your story about telling your kid that saying her brother pushed her was boring and how she re-enacted it for you. :)

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Things have become strange. I called in this morning (I don't have set hours, as I work on commission only) and said I had a hiccup in the schedule with the baby sitter, so just to forward my calls on to me at home and I'd be in later in the afternoon. They said they'd patch the calls to my cell phone, and then the receptionist (love her, BTW) whispered, if I were you, I wouldn't come in today.

So, I'm at home. *shrugs* Not really sure what is going on or what that meant. Not really caring today. My brother is deploying to Afghanistan on Saturday, so this gives me some time to spend with him.

Kthrok
06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
well enjoy the day with your bro...will pray for his safe return...as for the phone call it might just be a hectic day in the office today and if receptionist knows that you were stressed she might be trying to help :D

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
That could be it. She's a sweetie.

Mjollnir13
06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Whenever I make a big mistake, I think of the pros and cons...

So in your case,

Cons...
You made a mistake.
You could possibly lose your job.

Pros...
You told your boss right away. It's amazing how many people will let their mistakes go until somebody else finds it.

You know what you did wrong. Again, it's amazing how many people have no idea what they did or how they did it.

There is a way to correct your mistake. 99% of mistakes made, there is a way to correct it.

The worse that can happen is you lose your job, there is nothing else anybody can do to you.

If you do lose your job, you are an intelligent person and will land on your feet...probably better off in the long run.

Seeing that your brother is going to Afghan really should put things in perspective for all of us. He has volunteered his time and possibly life (God I hope not) for all of us, and we are all worried about paperwork that got a little screwed up, or I need to make X amount of sales, or the price of gas is getting high. We, as in the U.S., all need to get back to the basics of family, friends, and just having fun.

So, good luck to you although I know you will be fine, and good luck to your brother. I pray that he returns safe.

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Exactly.

My brother is hoping to see my Hubby in Afghanistan too. Although he will only see Hubby when Hubby is going on R and R. My Brother will be stationed in a city, while Hubby is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't even have running water or real food.

Mela
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Taking time to be with your brother is much more worthy of your time, me thinks - will he be anywhere near your husband?

aspier
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
mm tell me a story, story girl ... nice name!

StoryG27
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
aspier, thanks. i try. :D

Mela, no, bro won't be near Hubby, no one is near Hubby. :D Poor guy. They get their food and mail air dropped to them and they don't have the luxury of showers or toilets or real meals. There's not many of them at the tiny FOB, just a couple dozen, so they make do. But my brother will be where there are many amenities, even fast food and swimming pools. :D So I can at least assume he will be safe for the most part.

StoryG27
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, remember how I said I'd have to wait until the 18th to find out, I guess that still holds true, but I find it VERY doubtful I will be here after tomorrow.

I feel pretty bad. This sucks.

quickWit
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, remember how I said I'd have to wait until the 18th to find out, I guess that still holds true, but I find it VERY doubtful I will be here after tomorrow.

Sorry to hear it SG, but you handled it as professionally as you could and that's saying quite a bit. I hope it works out in your favor but even if it doesn't at least you know you did your best to make it right.

Good luck.

Haggis
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Best of luck, SG. :Hug2:

sassandgroove
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
We're here for you. Let us know if you need anything.

StoryG27
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks all. You're doing what I need right now. Just letting me get it out.

I promised myself that I would never cry over a job, and I won't, but I do feel a bit emotional. I just wish it had been my file, my mistake to make, not a file I was working on for someone else. That's what bothers me the most, someone else has to pay too.

*sigh* Like I said, it just sucks.

Cranky
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Hang in there, storygirl. *hugs*