Get the party started with the Horah!

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Mazel Tov and Todah Robah to Jenna for starting a Jewish forum! (that's it for my hebrew which is truly very compromised)

First assignment: has anyone ever written a D'var Torah?? I have to write and present one for a workshop this Thursday evening. I got recruited into a leadership fellowship thing, I've already told the chair and the Rabbi that I don't belong with this crowd, and now I have to do something called a Dvar Torah.

If not a Dvar Torah, perhaps a sermon based on the Old Testament section about how to get rid of leprosy and the ritual purification processes for men and women. I kid you not - this is the section of the Torah (Five books of Moses/Old Testament) that I have to address.

The basics: It's a 5-10 minute speech, with no q and a, that explains and then analyzes the section of the Torah that's going to be read that Shabbat

Anyone with experience, knowledge or support, what can you tell me!?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I hope you don't mind me popping in on this sub-board every now and then, even though I am a Christian. I am very interested in the Jewish roots of my religion and some of my favorite authors are Jewish (Herman Wouk and Elie Wiesel and Bob Dylan—oh, yeah, and all those prophets).

I've explicated parts of the Old Testament before, but of course I've never given a D'var Torah (and I don't even know what that is). Any insights I might have into the passage in question would of coursed be colored by my Christian perspective. That said, here are my random comments on the passage (I assume you are talking about Leviticus 13-14, though the chapters may be divided differently in the Christian Bible.)

I think it interesting that the priests of the community served not only as religious leaders but as, in a sense, physicians, examining and diagnosing diseases; the mingling of the physical and spiritual sickness here is quite interesting, and these things are perhaps more closely associated than we tend to think in modern times. The priest shuts up the leper for seven days (13:26), clearly a symbolic number rather than a physical necessity—the number of perfection, of creation. I think the hardest thing about this passage for a Christian or indeed a modern Jew is the fact that it seems so...unkind...to separate a person in this way, to have him cry, "unclean, unclean." The reason that God might have made that requirement—and why it is not a cruel thing--would have to be addressed for a modern audience. I have no insight there, myself, though. I love the imagery of the two birds in the purification process—the live bird being freed as a symbol of new life, a kind of resurrection—suffering gives birth to vibrant life.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I just wrote this long reply and lost it!! Boohoo -

Anyway - the gist was that rabbinical scholars say that leprosy signals the commitment of a sin called Loshon Hora, evil speech. It's a fascinating tie and well-accepted, apparently, in Jewish study. I never knew it because, well, I'm not a Jewish scholar by any stretch of the imagination. But I love learning!

If you're more interested in this interpretation, there's a book called Guard Your Tongue which gathers all the biblical references to acts that are Loshon Hora. I'm using it to help me apply this interpretation to becoming leaders.

Thanks for posting!!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Thanks for the insight. This is why I liked to study Judaism--for insight into scriptures that are also a part of my Bible. Being a 21st century American, I can read those books on my own all I want, but a lot of it isn't going to make sense to me without the historical context and the tradition of interpretation. Of course, Christians have thier own centuries-old traditions of interpretation, but they are usually highly symbolic when it comes to the law, where they exist at all.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I feel the same way! To know other faiths helps you understand your own much better.

And the D'var Torah was last night and went very well. My face burned red hot by the end, but I got a lot of compliments. AND IT'S OVER!!!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Mazel tov, girlfriend.

BTW, I will be posting here more frequently--especially since I was the one who complained about the lack of a Jewish site. Just very busy recently.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
mommie4a said:
I feel the same way! To know other faiths helps you understand your own much better.

And the D'var Torah was last night and went very well. My face burned red hot by the end, but I got a lot of compliments. AND IT'S OVER!!!

Glad to hear it went well!

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
I just found this site, so I thought I'd say high. I wonder if there's a way to get the few "Jewish" threads that have been posted elsewhere over here? It might give this site more umph.

As far as sites go, if anyone's interested in Jewish writing for children, there is a group on yahoo started by Anna Olswanger (hope I spelled her name write). I dont' have the threa handy, but next time I get an email from them, I could post it here if there is any interest.

What does you 'guys' write? I write children's pb, adult SF&F novels and for children's mags. Have been trying my hand at Greeting Cards, but no luck there yet. I tried targeting the Jewish lines for the Greeting cards and had even worse reception there.

Julie

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Hi Julie! I like your suggestion about pulling the Jewish threads into one. Not quite sure how to have it done - email Jenna maybe? I think this forum is supposed to be the place for all things Jewish writing.

A bit short on time this evening, but happy to respond to the rest of your post soon!

Welcome!

L'chaim!

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
I'm also a Christian who's interested in Jewish roots. I may or may not write a story involving Judaism, but if I do, I'm very glad the resource is here.

Shalom!

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
Welcome, Rachel, if you have any questions, ask, we'll try to answer them.

Has anyone here every written for a Jewich Magazine?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jewish media resources

I just typed a response and my puter crashed. Argh

Ok - I've considered pitching Tikkun, Lilith, Moment, Hadassah, Reform Judaism, United Synagogue (conservative movement's paper) and The Jerusalem Report. But I haven't pitched any of them! Here's a link to the Jewish Resources sticky in AW. You also can search for blogs that have a Jewish tilt - they often have long sidebars of media listed. I can't seem to find the ones I've seen with the lists at the moment (sorry!) but they're there.

Good luck!

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187236#post187236

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Free quote to anyone who wants it!

I have the most horrific set of ex-in laws on the planet, and the way they have tried to influence my boys...MY BOYS about how wicked any other religion is besides Christianity, would make your hair stand on end.

If anyone is doing research or would be interested in how a Southern Baptist preacher and his family have tried, in VAIN, to convince my boys that the Jewish faith is scary, and how I have worked just as diligently to inform them otherwise, please feel free to ask away.

I must say that my boys are far too bright to be taken in. I am very proud of them for that!

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
Christians like that make me sick. Will the persecution never end for all of you? I can relate on a very minor level, if it's any comfort: You wouldn't believe the amount of criticism I receive for celebrating Chanukah, Pesach, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, etc. "Why are you celebrating pagan holidays? Why do you want to join a false religion?"

Did they forget that Jesus Christ was Jewish? What's wrong with me celebrating holidays that our religion was founded on?

Putting all doctrinal issues about who Jesus really was aside, Christianity was started by a Jew, and it's earliest followers were Jews. People who claim to be Christians might do well to remember that they wouldn't be here without Judaism.

The Jews are still God's chosen people, and it drives me crazy when people--especially people who call themselves Christians-- antagonize them. I apologize for people like that, and hope you won't think negatively about all of us because of them. Not all of us thought the Crusades were good, you know.

Rachael