PDA

View Full Version : Writer, or Thinker?

HorsebackWriter
06-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I've been thinking about this lately, going back and forth:

Are you a writer who thinks, or a thinker who writes?

Em

Matera the Mad
06-11-2008, 07:50 AM
I think I'm more of a t-w-w

NicoleMD
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
I try to be a writer who writes, but am often a writer who absolute writes more than she should.

Nicole

DamaNegra
06-11-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm a writer who thinks. And a thinker who often gets confused by her own thoughts, so I try not to think too much.

catethegreat
06-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm definitely a thinker who writes. I write when my head gets too full--it's kind of like popping a zit that is large, red, and inflamed. Wait, that was gross. Ewww. It's more like a pitcher of water that is too full and overflows onto the page. That's better.

JoNightshade
06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Absolutely a thinker who writes. Writing fiction just happens to be the best way I've found to express my thoughts.

I think about EVERYTHING. Let's just say that as a kid, I put myself to sleep at night with dialectics.

Danger Jane
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Thinker who writes. If I'd started playing violin a few years earlier, maybe when I was eight or nine instead of eleven, I probably would have channeled my creative energies more towards music than towards writing, but around age twelve, when I started writing "seriously", I was more literate in English than in music, since I had eleven years more experience with it.

I think and think til it makes me sick. Luckily, I can let some of it out in writing.

TPCSWR
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Thinker who writes.

The Scip
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Thinker who writes, when I sit down to write I know pretty much exactly what I'm going to write because I've been thinking about it for a few hours.

Spook
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
For sure a thinker who writes... and over-analizes. Everything.

Nakhlasmoke
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
A writer who doesn't think.

JimmyB27
06-11-2008, 04:12 PM
A writer who doesn't think.
I'm a thinker who doesn't write (often enough) - we should collaborate!
:tongue

Elaine Margarett
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Absolutely a thinker who writes. Writing fiction just happens to be the best way I've found to express my thoughts.

I think about EVERYTHING. Let's just say that as a kid, I put myself to sleep at night with dialectics.

Me too! Definately a thinker who writes. And I developed a bit of a sleep disorder because when I'd go to bed I'd make up stories to entertain myself. Later, that translated into rehashing my day; only "rewriting" it so that I was so much smarter and wittier that in real time.

EM,
who DEFINATELY thinks too much!

Ken
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
a thinker who thinks, and then thinks some more, before finally putting down a few words, which need editing.

Nakhlasmoke
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm a thinker who doesn't write (often enough) - we should collaborate!
:tongue

Dude, no way. You thinky types want symbolism and stuff.

:P

writin52
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I am so much a Writer Who Thinks, that I almost always have to write my thoughts down to organize them, even if I am just trying to make a decision about something.

sheadakota
06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, I thought about this question for a long time before answering it- so I guess that makes me a thinker who writes- and one who should be editing right now instead of being here (Gad! I hate editing!)

Kalyke
06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm a Hack, and proud of it.

Phaeal
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm a writer who free-writes when thinking is necessary. My mystical Parker Jotter pen (burgundy shaft, black ink) then does the cogitating for me.

Soccer Mom
06-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm a hack too, a writer that writes.

MsK
06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
a thinker who thinks, and then thinks some more, before finally putting down a few words, which need editing.

Ditto.
I think so much that I forget what the thoughts I was supposed to be writing about were by the time I sit down to write them out.

Kitrianna
06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm a thinker who thinks and a writer who dreams

Mr. Anonymous
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
definitely a thinker who writes. It's going to sound really nerdy but sometimes I actually keep myself at night thinking to myself...
"If the big bang theory (and the universe was once the size of a tennis ball) is true and the universe really is constantly expanding, then how can it be infinite? After all, infinity cannot expand. Infinity by definition goes on forever. Therefore, an actual, real, finite number can never become infinite. The tennis ball can swell to twice, a hundred, a thousand, a million times its original size. But it will always have something outside of it. So then, if the universe has an end, what is outside of it..."

aka eraser
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm a stinker who bites.

Oh, wait. That might be my dog.

What was the question again?

Kitrianna
06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Mr.A you're going to give yourself a migraine if you keep that up!

Ziljon
06-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm a tinker who travels from place to place mending metal utensils.

Shadow_Ferret
06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
What do you mean by "thinker?" You mean like philosophical kind of thinking? Sitting around naval gazing about life, morality, ethics, and such?

I do that on occasion, but it has nothing to do with my writing.

I'm a fiction writer. No thinking involved. It's all imagination run wild on it's own with no control or input from me. There's this conduit that goes from my imagination to my fingers to the keyboard. What comes out on screen if often as much a surprise to me as it is to anyone.

Ken
06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
good follow up question posed by Shadow Ferret.
The thinking I do when writing primarily has to do with figuring out how to develop the plots of my stories and what twists and turns to give them at each step of the way. For writers who create more character-driven works this may not be much of a concern.

petronella63
06-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm both a writer who thinks, and a thinker who writes.

I mainly tend to think about not so nice situations to put my characters in. That and thinking about what to make for supper.

Blondchen
06-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm a talker who writes.

And talks.

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 01:52 AM
By thinker, I mean thoughts -- all thoughts, including thoughts connected to imagination, philosophy and even worrying.

Thanks everyone, for coming out to play! : )

I can't quite answer the question myself, lol. I think I'm a thinker who writes, which at first surprises me, as my identity is a writer. But then again, to have a penchant for writing (any writer) wouldn't we have to be writers who think?

Furthermore, can amazing thinking make up for less than spectacular writing, and can amazing writing make up for less than spectacular thinking?

Maybe it's a chicken/egg question, and one can't exist without the other?

Em (still thinking it over, and playing with my brain. : )

StephanieFox
06-12-2008, 01:54 AM
I think that writing something down clarifies what you are thinking.

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Postscript -- can you imagine putting out query letters as a thinker?

Oh boy, there would sure be a lot of "thoughts" I'd be leaving off that query, including my thoughts on the query process!

Em

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 02:08 AM
I think that writing something down clarifies what you are thinking.

Definitely. So then rewrites and re-edits are possibly re-thinkings instead of rewritings?

Em

Disa
06-12-2008, 02:23 AM
Definitely a thinker who writes.

Did you see the movie "Shakespeare in Love" ? Where he tells them he has the whole story finished but it's locked inside his head. That's me. My novel is there, inside my head. It's been trapped for almost 10 years. WHERE is the key to unlock it? HOW is it going to get onto the paper?

Thing is, the 20 pages that ARE written down, I have no idea how they got there. It seems to flow once I actually sit down and DO IT.

D

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Wanted to add:

Danger Jane -- I am so envious, and you are too cool! I wish I had learned violin. Do you play any Vivaldi (my favorite)?

I tried learning the flute, for all of a month. I couldn't get the breath right, and ended up fainting in music class at ten-years old. Needless to say, I gave it up.

Truth be told, I really only wanted to play the piccolo; I thought it was soooooooo cute, and loved how tiny it was. Of course, you first learn the flute. It's definitely not the best reason to start playing an instrument. I do love music, it's on *all* the time, here -- my husband calls it "the soundtrack to Emily's life" -- but I just don't have the coordination or ear or ability to make my own.

I also wish I could play piano. I love the warm and toasty mental scene of gathering people around the piano and singing Christmas carols.

eta -- my favorite violinist is Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg. Also, on Ovation television (an arts channel) I just watched a wonderful documentary on Hilary Hahn. She is also an amazing violinist, and so young!
Em

steveg144
06-12-2008, 02:56 AM
A thinker who writes, definitely. The physical act of writing is simply a side effect of my thinking, because they only way I can drain the ever-growing queue of ideas is to get them on paper. Whatever's wrong with my brain, the act of writing ideas down seems to fix it. Temporarily, of course. ;)

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 02:59 AM
It "flows" because it sounds like you are accessing the "flow state". You sit down, start writing and pretty much let go, and something comes through you, and ends up on the page. "How" is a great question, and a very interesting one at that. But it doesn't really need an answer.

Just write. Sit, get your fingers ready, and let the rest take care of itself.

The hardest part is letting go -- letting go of normal, daily control, putting up your "antenna", and catching the words. (We are very socialized to be in control, and schooled in the virtues of self-control.)

(Now I have a line of teletubbies in my mind, waiting to see who gets the "special broadcast". : )

I was watching Iconoclasts the other day, a show where they bring two different icons together to chat and hang out. (I LOVE this show. Another, was Madeleine Albright and Ashley Judd).

This recent episode was Fiona Apple and Quentin Tarantino.

Quentin began talking about flow, but perhaps not knowing it was flow, and called it his "God antenna".

I recently just found the name for it myself, and had the biggest lightbulb moment.

Em

Definitely a thinker who writes.

Did you see the movie "Shakespeare in Love" ? Where he tells them he has the whole story finished but it's locked inside his head. That's me. My novel is there, inside my head. It's been trapped for almost 10 years. WHERE is the key to unlock it? HOW is it going to get onto the paper?

Thing is, the 20 pages that ARE written down, I have no idea how they got there. It seems to flow once I actually sit down and DO IT.

D

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 03:16 AM
A thinker who writes, definitely. The physical act of writing is simply a side effect of my thinking, because they only way I can drain the ever-growing queue of ideas is to get them on paper. Whatever's wrong with my brain, the act of writing ideas down seems to fix it. Temporarily, of course. ;)

Very interesting. I like the idea of writing being a side effect of thinking -- it makes sense, put that way.

So, in a way, both are needed.

I know that I need some alone time each day just to vegetate and think, or I end up feeling cranky and overstimulated in my life. That thinking time leads to the writing time.

Em

slcboston
06-12-2008, 05:37 AM
i'm a writer. And a thinker. Sometimes less of both than I ought to be. On rare occasions, more (but usually the thinking part).

Oh, and when I think, I like to sit like the "Thinker" with elbow on knee and chin on hand. I get funny looks, but what the heck. :D

HorsebackWriter
06-12-2008, 05:54 AM
i'm a writer. And a thinker. Sometimes less of both than I ought to be. On rare occasions, more (but usually the thinking part).

Oh, and when I think, I like to sit like the "Thinker" with elbow on knee and chin on hand. I get funny looks, but what the heck. :D

LOL! I looooooove "The Thinker". I have the statue on the night-table next to my bed. I got it from good old, English Town auction, where one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Em

HourglassMemory
06-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm a thinker who writes.
I think that putting my thoughts on paper dressed in the form of fictional stories... I feel that to be much more entertaining. And I think I could get my point across in a more entertaining way if I was writing a dissertation or thought of some sort.

Danger Jane
06-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Danger Jane -- I am so envious, and you are too cool! I wish I had learned violin. Do you play any Vivaldi (my favorite)?

I do play a fair bit of Vivaldi. Basically I'll just learn what's in front of me...makes for a spotty repertoire. My favorites are Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, and Shostakovich, though...a far cry from Vivaldi, especially that last one.

Unique
06-13-2008, 04:38 AM
Thinker who writes.

I have to tell myself all the time, 'It doesn't count until you write it down.'

HorsebackWriter
06-13-2008, 05:22 AM
I love your avatar, Unique. What an amazing picture.

I am so surprised, as all of us answer this question. I thought more people would say "writer who thinks", maybe even including myself. I'm still on the fence.

Perhaps "writer" and "thinker" are two halves of the same whole, so, interchangable, really, and equally important.

Maybe we're all really good at TWO things.

Em

escritora
06-13-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm a thinker who writes.

Storm Dream
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I see no evidence that I actually do any thinking. :)

scope
06-14-2008, 04:59 AM
I can't imagine anyone writing without thinking--some more, some less, but if we didn't think, consciously or subconsciously, mental connections which give the ability to write any and everything wouldn't form, be it a book manuscript, an article, a letter, an email, a shopping list, or pure nonsense.

Cranky
06-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Count me as another thinker who writes.

In fact, I think rather too much and do too little writing, because I'm far too busy thinking to be writing.

A balance is needed, I think.

See? More thinking...