Struggling with tenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

caperaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caperaway.wordpress.com
Typically, I am a very linear writer when it comes to short fiction. I start at point A and bring the reader to point B, C, D, etc throughout the course of the story.

I've been practicing a less linear structure but am struggling with deciding how to handle past tense, present tense, etc.

I think I have a good handle on grammar and am also quite well read, so I'll admit I am frustrated with my frustration! Perhaps I am over analyzing, but the more I read variations on what I've written the more I think they all sound correct. I'm hoping some fresh eyes can help me out.

Here it goes:
(For the sake of space, I'm truncating segments of the story, but the segments that are presented do follow each other in the order I've portrayed here.)

==== This is the present of the story ===

Eyes closed, maw open so wide the healing sides of his mouth cracked anew, dribbles of blood swirled in the beer and descended unnoticed down his gullet in the torrent of ale. Three gulps and it was gone. Three glorious, deep gulps. Eyes slowly opening, his mouth came to a close as his calloused hand squeezed tightly and crumpled the aluminum in a series of satisfying pops.

“Like a dying man,” said a voice.

“What?” was Terry’s reply.

==== This is in the past ====

He entered a room. Moments before he had been standing in a hallway lit by hanging chandeliers that were too cheap to be called chandeliers. The illumination gave the dated and water-stained wallpaper a sickly yellow pallor, which was no favor to the tenants and visitors of the apartment building. The tenement itself was four stories tall, squat and cube shaped and unremarkable in all respects. It was one of several buildings of its type in what was an area of the city mostly ignored.

He had knocked. He had manners of a sort after all. No one answered so he knocked again. There was still no answer, but he was expected so he tried the doorknob and wasn’t at all surprised when it turned freely.

=======

Can you see where I'm struggling? For example, in the "past", I begin with 'He entered a room', but then follow that with 'Moments before he had been standing in a hallway'. I've got past within past, but neither is the present. Am I using the correct tenses?

Similarily, in the "past", I have "He had knocked," but then have "No one answered so he knocked again." Should I have written "No one answered so he had knocked again"?

Let me know if my description of my problem isn't clear.

My gut tells me that if I'm in the "past" of my story I should be writing "had knocked, "had been", etc throughout, but it doesn't read properly to my inner ear when I read it.

I have to admit I feel silly for asking the questions, but I'm at an impasse so I appreciate anyone that reads this post and takes the time to give pointers.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
When you say "past", are you referring to flashbacks? Because all of it is in the past tense. If you wanted to use present tense, you would have to say "he enters the room" -- but it would be very unwise to mix tenses.

Similarily, in the "past", I have "He had knocked," but then have "No one answered so he knocked again." Should I have written "No one answered so he had knocked again"?
The second "had" is not really necessary. A lot of "had" can be left out, one will carry whatever follows it in a paragraph.

caperaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caperaway.wordpress.com
If you wanted to use present tense, you would have to say "he enters the room" -- but it would be very unwise to mix tenses.

I understand what you are saying. I do not want to write in the present tense as in "he enters the room". I'm not a fan of that style. I agree that it is unwise to mix tenses.

one will carry whatever follows it in a paragraph.

I understand what you're saying here.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Once you establish the "past" with a past perfect tense ("he had...") you can ease back into simple past tense. It's understood. Then you just need a certain cue to clue the readers back to the future. The perfect tense is relative -- meaning it's only used to offset the past:

He had eaten before she arrived.

Where it's not necessary to be relative, simple past would do just fine:

He had eaten before she arrived. He had a bowl of soup, and a few crackers.

In a way, this kind of tense issues makes writing in past a bit difficult at times and a bit "unnatural." So many "had"s. Sometimes it is a bit more natural to write in present tense, then anything in the past would be in past tense.

caperaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caperaway.wordpress.com
Once you establish the "past" with a past perfect tense ("he had...") you can ease back into simple past tense. It's understood. Then you just need a certain cue to clue the readers back to the future.

Yes! Yes! That makes sense. Thanks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
He entered a room. Moments before he had been standing in a hallway lit by hanging chandeliers that were too cheap to be called chandeliers. The illumination gave the dated and water-stained wallpaper a sickly yellow pallor, which was no favor to the tenants and visitors of the apartment building. The tenement itself was four stories tall, squat and cube shaped and unremarkable in all respects. It was one of several buildings of its type in what was an area of the city mostly ignored.

He had knocked. He had manners of a sort after all. No one answered so he knocked again. There was still no answer, but he was expected so he tried the doorknob and wasn’t at all surprised when it turned freely.

This section strikes me as exemplary of your problem. It's well-written, but the sequence of events described is inverted. The very first sentence, "He entered the room", is the last thing that actually takes place. So you're trapped in relating everything else as a flashback. One of the quickest symptoms of this problem is the use of the "had done X" verb construction. Why do it? In creating a narrative of action, there's seldom a good reason for not doing it in a linear-time fashion.

Being a crappy writer myself, but a good editor, let me present this one fairly minor tweak:

>>

He stood in a hallway lit by hanging chandeliers that were too cheap to be called chandeliers. The illumination gave the dated and water-stained wallpaper a sickly yellow pallor, which was no favor to the tenants and visitors of the apartment building. The tenement itself was four stories tall, squat and cube shaped and unremarkable in all respects. It was one of several buildings of its type in what was an area of the city mostly ignored.

He knocked. He had manners of a sort after all. No one answered so he knocked again. There was still no answer, but he was expected so he tried the doorknob and wasn’t at all surprised when it turned freely.

He entered.

>>

caw

caperaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caperaway.wordpress.com
...the sequence of events described is inverted. The very first sentence, "He entered the room", is the last thing that actually takes place. So you're trapped in relating everything else as a flashback.

You know, you make a good point.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
The second "had" is not really necessary. A lot of "had" can be left out, one will carry whatever follows it in a paragraph.

The second "had" is not only unnecessary, but clunky and arguably wrong. The past perfect tense ("I had done X") exists to show that X happened before Y: I had done X, but no one answered, so I did Y. Using two past perfects in a row negates that--when you do that, the only way the reader can tell that X happened before Y is from the rest of the sentence, not from the verb tenses. So it's potentially confusing, depending on the rest of the sentence, and always a bit clunky.

My gut tells me that if I'm in the "past" of my story I should be writing "had knocked, "had been", etc throughout, but it doesn't read properly to my inner ear when I read it.

Your ear is right. I can't think of any other purpose for the past perfect than showing that X happened before Y. The example above--knocking and no one answering--is the most concrete example, but there are subtler ones; consider this: "I'd finished doing it, but he didn't believe me." (I finished it, and then after I finished it, for some reason, he didn't believe that I had finished it--his belief occurred after the action of finishing it was done).

The only reason I can think of for using multiple past perfects in a row is if they all precede, and are connected to, the action at the end: "I'd bought her roses. I'd written love letters. I'd taken her out in a rowboat at sunrise to propose. Yet still, for some ungodly reason, she remained convinced that I didn't love her." All the past-perfect actions happened first; then, even after they'd all happened, "she remained" (past simple) convinced...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.