Copperhead Got Away

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Argh

I found an itty bitty copperhead in the stable this evening and tried to manuever it into a bucket--figured I could dump it off somewhere deep in the woods. But it slithered into the hay before I could catch it. Now it's just waiting for me out there, and the next time I see it, it'll probably be attached to one of my fingers.

Damn it.:rant:

I'm thinking I should have just killed it. My dog was bitten last summer. Her leg swelled up to about four times its normal size. :( If something like that happens because I didn't have the heart to chop up a snake, I'm going to feel terrible. Sigh.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
I've heard the baby ones are more dangerous than the adults. Something about not modulating the venom dose when they bite.

Do be careful.

Thanks, Perks. I definitely will be.

At least this is a copperhead. They're the least venomous of the North American snakes. That's something, anyway.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Perks said:
I've heard the baby ones are more dangerous than the adults. Something about not modulating the venom dose when they bite.

Do be careful.
You know what? I just looked it up and apparently that's not true. Yokels telling me tales.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
You know what? I just looked it up and apparently that's not true. Yokels telling me tales.

Really? LOL! I'd always heard the same thing. It was my understanding that with an adult you might receive a dry bite--happened to my younger brother twice--because they don't want to waste the venom on something they can't eat. Juveniles, on the other hand, automatically inject all their venom.

It's bunk? Good to know.:D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Copperhead got away? Call Dick Tracy!!!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
It was my understanding that with an adult you might receive a dry bite--happened to my younger brother twice--because they don't want to waste the venom on something they can't eat. .:D

Brown snakes do that here, in Queensland. We are a bit less fortunate than you appear to be. It's against the law to kill a snake, even a poisonous one. The fine is in the thousands of dollars. I haven't killed any on purpose, of course - just a coincidence that one just threw itself under my spade while I was digging.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Do be careful. A copperhead's bite won't kill you, but for a while, it can make you wish you were dead. A neighbor was bitten and he complained of feverishness, general pain, and the headache to end all headaches. If I'd been there, I don't think I would have taken a second to apply the hoe or spading fork. I would have done it out of instinct. I don't kill black snakes, I once caught a garter snake and tried to keep it as a pet, but I kill almost everything else that goes slithering by. I don't care for snakes in general.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Buy yourself a pet mongoose and release it in the stable. I love snakes but, hey, sometimes they can be problematic.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We enjoy the friendly Rattle Snake down here in Okieland. I generally let all critters go their own way, but not that one. If he stays where he belongs, he's safe. If he comes into my territory, he's a dead mofo.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Eep!! We went to the snake pits on mother's day to see the red sided garter snakes, which was nifty, but they don't bite.

Hope you get him next time!

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
It's against the law to kill a snake, even a poisonous one. The fine is in the thousands of dollars.

Wow. Makes sense if the snake is a threatened or endangered species, but all of them? What's the reasoning behind that? Is there reasoning behind that? :D

We enjoy the friendly Rattle Snake down here in Okieland. I generally let all critters go their own way, but not that one. If he stays where he belongs, he's safe. If he comes into my territory, he's a dead mofo.

Yeah, I should have killed it. Part of the problem was that it was holed up between a post and the wall. The only way I could have killed it without giving it a chance to bolt would have been to stick the hoe back there and mash it. Seemed so cruel.

It's funny--even though AR has a number of different kinds of rattlers, I've never seen one here. Mostly I run into the copperheads and cottonmouths (those freak me out.) Did see a lot of rattlers when I lived in New Mexico, though. And when I went camping in eastern Washington, along the columbia river, they were everywhere. EVERYFREEKINGWHERE

Hope you get him next time!

Thanks, Jenn. Me too!:D

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I had a baby copperhead in my garden once. Didn't know what it was (was new to the area, never had seen one) and I was in my flipflops shooing it away. It wasn't aggressive at all, thank goodness for me. I have no idea where it eventually went. It wasn't scared of me as I tried to shoo it off, but it left later, on its own time.

In CO I had a baby rattle snake in my kitchen, and I had toddlers running around the house at the time. That snake was very aggressive and striking constantly. Killed that one.

When we were camping, we ran into a water moccasin. Kept our distance. Scary. And both in CO and TN we've seen lots and lots of non-venomous snakes.

Out here it is something like a $2,500 fine if you kill a snake and a year in prison because it is considered poaching. And the baby vs adult snake bite, it's not true that babies are more venomous, but it is true that they deliver all the venom they've got if they bite you and adult can control the venom release and deliver a dry bite.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
It's rare for a copperhead bite to be fatal but it can happen; it did in my area to a woman picking berries quite awhile ago. I have had several friends who were bitten - one married couple who were both bitten at different times during the same summer. Both were pretty sick but recovered.

I live in town now but when I lived for more than a decade out on a rocky Ozark ridge, I killed many copperheads, large and small. Most with a hoe.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I like telling this story, it makes me sound more manly. ;)

When I was travelling in Oz, I worked for a while on a massive farm in Queensland, doing all sorts of odd jobs. They grew, amongst other things, sugar cane. Before they harvest the cane, they burn the field and one of our jobs was to retrieve these big plastic mats that they used to direct the irrigation water.
Underneath these mats, it was nice and cool in the heat of the day, and snakes loved to sit under them. The big ones usually heard us coming and legged it (urr...bellied it?), but the babies hadn't learnt. Often we'd pull up one of these sheets and find a couple of baby brown snakes sitting there.
Anyway - actual, if paraphrased conversation with John, the most Australian bloke I've ever met.
Me - So, how poisonous would you say these things are?
John - Well, if one of the babies bites you, you're really gonna regret it for a few days.
Me - Oh....What about the adults?
John - Oh, if one of them buggers gets you, you have about forty minutes to get to hospital.
Me (paling slightly) - Er...or what?
John (big grin on his face) - Or you're dead.

Still, we happily carried on yanking those mats up. It was a dangerous job, but someone had to do it. :tongue:
Then there was the day we uncovered one of these baby brown snakes, and John starts poking it with a stick - "Look, he's harmless really". I'm sure you're right John, but I'm going to stand over here in case momma comes back. Waaaaay over here.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
That's a fantastic story. And it does make sound like all man. Particularly this part--

. . . but I'm going to stand over here in case momma comes back. Waaaaay over here.

:D

Seriously, I can't imagine doing that. It seems like you'd get hot and tired quick, and then it would be just so easy to become sloppy and careless. Then you're counting down those forty minutes. Yikes.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
I encounter snakes daily where I live in SE Mo. Mostly harmless but everynow and then I find a cotton-mouth and I don't fool w/them unless it is being aggressive...then it has to die (sadly) but its me or them and I choose me...

...I am not really afraid of snakes unless one startles me then I scream like a wild-banchie and run like a track-star~~~~~ "Run, Forrest, Runnnnn...."

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
That's a fantastic story. And it does make sound like all man. Particularly this part--

JimmyB27 said:
. . . but I'm going to stand over here in case momma comes back. Waaaaay over here.

:D

Seriously, I can't imagine doing that. It seems like you'd get hot and tired quick, and then it would be just so easy to become sloppy and careless. Then you're counting down those forty minutes. Yikes.

Well, y'know, I have to put that bit in so I don't intimidate all the other guys with my extreme machoism. ;)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Makes sense if the snake is a threatened or endangered species, but all of them? What's the reasoning behind that? Is there reasoning behind that? :D

It's a government decision. I really don't think there is any reason behind it. The state parliament here doesn't think it is necessary to think things out before legislating about something. It must be a pre-requisit for being elected.