How do you organize your recipes?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Are you one of those people who has them all categorized and cross-referenced by ingredients, meal, season, etc...? Or do you have a bunch of little pieces of paper in various sizes and degree of decomposition?

I was in the latter cateogry until the day before yesterday, when I sat down and re-copied every recipe onto cards in a recipe binder. I wasn't really sure how to organize them, though, since the tabs provided didn't fit how I actually use the recipes. In the end I re-labeled them into four categories: Dinner, salads/side dishes, sweets, and breakfast items.

So how do you organize your recipes?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Thank God for computers. I store all of mine on my computer and have printed copies in binders with plastic page inserts.

There's one for appetizers, another for soups, salads, beef, pork, desserts, etc. Each one has a table of contents and when I add a new recipe I update the table of contents on my computer, print it out, and then slip it back in its protective plastic sleeve.

The sleeves are great because they protect the recipes from getting smudged and dirty when I'm in the kitchen and the binders are of the three-ring variety so they stay open on my little cookbook holder that sits on one of my counters.

Last edited:

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago I had a tidy binder with pages in plastic sleeves. Now it's a sloppy stack of recipes scribbled on notebook paper and torn out of magazines that I have to sift through to find anything.

The major categories are still pretty simple though: Bread, sweets, savories.

I'd love to have the time to sit down and organize everything again.