Car question!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Say you're a snobbish, rich guy in his mid-30s. You have so much money you can buy anything you want. In fact, you love cars and love having a new car often.

So, how often would you buy a new car to stay hip or whatever? Every year? Every two years? Is there an average time in which car dealers completely change the exterior of the car, so it would be even more noticeable that he has a new car?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'd say every year, two at the most. Model appearance rarely changes every single year (even though there are minor differences), but definitely within two or three years. Plus companies like Mercedes and BMW often come out with new models.

I worked in automotive advertising for seven years and had to pay a lot of attention to those details.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
if i were a rich guy i wouldn't buy 'a' car every year. i would have a garageful of them: jag, aston, rolls, hummer, etc, etc.... 20 to 60 at least. vintage cars as well as concept cars.

rich is rich.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
if i were a rich guy i wouldn't buy 'a' car every year. i would have a garageful of them: jag, aston, rolls, hummer, etc, etc.... 20 to 60 at least. vintage cars as well as concept cars.

rich is rich.

Yup. A V8 interceptor.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Basically I'd have one of whatever looked cool, in cars motorbikes and trikes.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Every six to eight months.

First off, the shiny and the new car smell is gone by then.

Second, the next limited edition whatever is out about that often.

That's not to say that I'm trading the old one in. Heavens no. I need the Veyron for weekend jaunts up the coast -- Bugatti, you know, 250 miles an hour.. oh yes. The new Roush limited edition California Mustang, Stage 3, of course, because nothing says power like the classic American made muscle car -- and did I mention that it was limited edition? They're only making 100 of these bad boys.

Oh, and Tesla, because I'm all about the environment. Doesn't mean that I have to sacrifice fun, does it? I did get rid of the Range Rover. They're so passe. Instead I'm having a new Maybach built for the about town with friends.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Now, if your guy is a motorhead -- works on his own cars, likes the performance more than the image?

Then the only ones from the previous post that make the cut are the Tesla and the Mustang, but he'd have bought the stock Mustang and modified it himself.

Also, he'd have a couple of vintage machines around. Maybe something quirky like a Talbot Lago. Awesome machine, raced Lemans in the early 1900's.

Or maybe this Elegance and power. Class and fun on four wheels.

And of course, the Camaro, nothing younger than '69.

Probably not this, the Stout Scarab. There aren't but six or eight of these left around, but I love them.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well, I'm talking rich guy with space limitations ;) He lives in an upscale apartment building, but those usually don't have more than 3 or 4 parking spaces per apartment.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
A rich guy would buy parking spaces or have a garage for his use only, with security tech & muscle to keep out the riffraff--if car cost isn't a problem, space sure as hell wouldn't be.

A Caddy from the 1930's would have the classic winged Nike hood ornament.

A DeSoto would have a helmed head.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

Aragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh, here is a nice topic.

A 1970 HemiCuda.
The car of one of my characters. The Plymouth Barracuda with the Hemi motor is worth more than any other car of the same years of 1970 and 1971.

1906 through 1926 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost
It is a Rolls Royce and just plain out saying elegant wealth

1985 Ford Bronco
Tough vehicle that can handle it all and is still affordable. The 4WD model is the best for getting where you want. May guzzle gas, but one saved my life, so I am not complaining.

Dodge Viper
Pure mopar speed and a favorite of several friends of mine who have the money. The V10 is the best engine.

Chevy Corvette C1 1953-1962
These are the Corvettes that say that you have money and taste. Or, that you are a big fan of the Adam West Batman.

Buying classic cars mean you have taste. A new car is nice, but the classics show taste.

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
My character has a "cheap sports car" a 1970 yellow Lotus Europa. I guess I just liked the way it looked. I think a rich guy might like collecting classic cars.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
If he's seriously into cars, he won't replace one he likes for reasons of fashion. He might buy new ones and add them to the collection, or buy different cars for different purposes....but a Testarossa will be satisfying to him whether it's a '95 or an '08.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to decide whether your character is "new school" or "old school", and make your decision from there. I think also you may need to look into what Mexicans would be impressed with in terms of cars, and also, how much do you want him to stand out? Most people wouldn't know if a new model rolls pulled up next to them until they saw the badge, but everyone knows when a yellow lambo pulls up!

JB_Finesse

Registered
Reaction score
For a rich dude wanting something cool and fast (and not a BMW or Mercedes) but not something he'd be worrying about all the time, I'd say an '08 Dodge Challenger. Sure, a '70-72 Challenger is a classic and he could get a convertible one of those, but minor repairs in an old car can be a major pain in the ass. Not to mention that it's far easier to get a new one if something happens to it.

JudiB

Scribe extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
in Lake Erie; maybe in SF Bay when they get it cle
I'd simply go with the Rolls. Except my dream car is a Jag. Now I wouldn't refuse the Rolls if someone gave me one or better yet - if I made enough writing to buy my own. Yes, yes.

Or you can introduce me to your character. Since he has sooooooooo much money, maybe he's buy me one. Or a jag, or a ....

Judi

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Say you're a snobbish, rich guy in his mid-30s. You have so much money you can buy anything you want. In fact, you love cars and love having a new car often.

So, how often would you buy a new car to stay hip or whatever? Every year? Every two years? Is there an average time in which car dealers completely change the exterior of the car, so it would be even more noticeable that he has a new car?
If he's driving cars as a fashion statement, he'd likely change his car as soon as the new model came out.

If he's a proper petrolhead, he'll keep his car until something he wants more comes along.

He's mostly into parading around, but I think those two cars would be a little over the top. This novel is set in Mexico City. You don't drive a fancy convertible in Mexico City unless you have some sort of a death wish.
One word for ya.

Spyker

I'd simply go with the Rolls.
The new Phantom drophead?
Yes, that is tasty. And comes with a free trunkload of pomp and circumstance :)

Aragon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have Gone in Sixty Seconds around me, but it gives you a good idea about the sorts of cars out there. Nicolas Cage also gives a good pointer on the difference between self indulgent wieners and connosiurs. A person who understand cars stand out to someone who discard cars like underwear.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Well, such a person would probably have several different cars for different purposes. His going to church car would be different than his cruising for babes car, and both would differ from his camping SUV monstrosity.

So, he'd probably have to buy a car each year at least to keep them all reasonably current.

Phil DeBlanque

Registered
Reaction score
Extra-oficial Bentley slogan: "I bought a Bentley because everybody has Rolls-Royces".
Say it aloud. Feels good, or not?

Ah, the world of money...