Obama's Vice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckolake

Registered
Reaction score
Close to a small lake which is near a small town i
Trading races or bending genders, had Senator Obama or Senator Clinton been born a black woman, could either have become the Democratic nominee? Probably not. America has demonstrated its willingness to choose the first black or the first female candidate of a major party. Could have gone either way. Some day we will have our first black female president. Not this time.

Nor does it seem likely that Senator Obama will choose a woman to run for vice president. We can't know how many votes he will lose just because of his race. But others who lack that prejudice will stumble on gender criteria.

What a milestone year it could have been, 2009, an inauguration of the first black president and the first female vice president. It could still happen.

What if Obama choose, as his running mate, Al Gore? I'm not suggesting that we ask Albert to become Alberta. Let's just not forget the number 543,816. That's how many more people voted for Vice President Gore than for Governor Bush, for president! Before he won the Nobel Prize or the Oscar.

The 25th amendment limits only the number of terms a president can serve, probably assuming that to ask anyone to serve more than twice as vice president would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Gore has made it clear he did not want to run for president again. What makes anyone think he would accept the nomination to run with Obama? He might, given two conditions. One, President Obama would have to swear to take global warming seriously and follow whatever steps Vice President (once more) Gore would suggest. And, two, Gore would be allowed to resign the vice presidency on January 21, 2009.

Gore resigns and Obama appoints, subject to confirmation, a woman. A slightly delayed milestone, a milestone, perhaps, with an asterisk, but no less significant.

But please, no jumping to conclusions. After all, if we're looking for milestones and envisioning the truly bold maneuver, someone might suggest we break one more barrier? We've never had an Italian-American president or vice president. I'll bet Nancy Pelosi would be available.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I can't tell how serious you are or aren't being. At times you seem completely sincere, and then at other times it's clear that you're being sarcastic. I hope.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
How about qualifications first, before we start nominating Maya Angelou just to make a statement?

Takvah

Not a D list ego massager...
Registered
Reaction score
No but he's trying;)
I'm trying myself.

When I read "Obama's vice", smoking was what I thought the thread would be about.

If you truly cared about yourself. If you loved your husband and your family... this would be so easy to do. I mean, I quit smoking because I love my wife and my kids. Sure she's only my second wife and I'm probably going to hell... but you are desecrating your temple and further endangering the health of those around you. How selfish! How "all about you" it is to put that coffin nail to your lips.

*Plants tongue firmly in cheek, but has fun anyway* :D

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
If you truly cared about yourself. If you loved your husband and your family... this would be so easy to do. I mean, I quit smoking because I love my wife and my kids. Sure she's only my second wife and I'm probably going to hell... but you are desecrating your temple and further endangering the health of those around you. How selfish! How "all about you" it is to put that coffin nail to your lips.

*Plants tongue firmly in cheek, but has fun anyway* :D

I say, Ahhh.....as I blow smoke into your cyber face!!!!:tongue

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Has he quit smoking yet?

You don't know that Obama smokes. You don't even know what's in that cigarette. Maybe it's not even tobacco! Maybe it's some antioxidant-rich herbs grown in a co-op in Tanzania and picked and harvested by HIV-positive single mothers to raise money for a new menstrual hut! Where is the love? Why all this nasty journalism?

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
If he quit smoking, he'd just gain weight. Wouldn't want to disappoint all those college girls. ;)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez. How about if he just chooses someone who'd make a good vice president (and, God forbid, a good President)?

Status
Not open for further replies.