Saving cat was a bad idea...

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
But maybe someone can make a story of it!

fail-further-taxonomy-large.jpg

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
A while back, a friend sent me a picture of two little girls trying to pet some baby skunks. The caption read, "Daddy, look at the kittens!"

:D

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
That reminds me...a friend of mine used to feed the neighborhood cats on her back steps. One day, when it was just about dusky dark, her daughter went out to pet the cats. She noticed a new one in the bunch and reached out to stroke it. It hissed at her and bared its teeth. You got it--it wasn't a cat, it was a skunk!

Fortunately, it just turned its back on her and continued eating. Scared the daylights out of her, though, and makes for a great story. :D

Imagine if it had sprayed. :eek:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me...a friend of mine used to feed the neighborhood cats on her back steps. One day, when it was just about dusky dark, her daughter went out to pet the cats. She noticed a new one in the bunch and reached out to stroke it. It hissed at her and bared its teeth. You got it--it wasn't a cat, it was a skunk!

Fortunately, it just turned its back on her and continued eating. Scared the daylights out of her, though, and makes for a great story. :D

Imagine if it had sprayed. :eek:

Funny post Gillhoughly.
And I can totally picture your friends daughter and the hissing skunk awatkins. :roll:
You have to admit, they are pretty cute.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I have a friend, an animal rescue person. We came across a skunk near her house that had got its head trapped in a large plastic mayonnaise bottle/jar. It had obviously been trying to get at the remnants of mayo, and couldn't get it off.

She actually got the jar off the skunk without getting bitten or sprayed. It just scuttled off without so much as a thank you. Although I suppose the not spraying was thank you enough.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
We used to have a neighbor with a cat-flap that led from her kitchen into the garden. She had two ginger-colored cats. One night she came into the kitchen to get a drink before bed and saw a strange black and white "cat" eating from the food dish. Fortunately she realized it was a skunk before she made a big noise and shoo'd it from the house. Instead, she just closed the kitchen and eventually it went away on its own.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out whether the ad was for real... :D

My friends have a cat flap in their garage which leads to the kitchen, and occasionally they have visitors like racoons or possums. The next-door neighbor cat was a regular, too. I guess they like the dry cat food my friends set out for their own cats.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
The intresting thing is that a skunk will not spray unless it really believes its life is in danger. It takes something like 48 hours to re-fill the skunk's scent sacks again, so it won't spend its ammunition foolishly.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Okay, then that explains the prob the family had with a skunk in the old boat house. Clearly it was in fear for its life. Considering my family, the critter had good reason for alarm.

It got Lady the weiner dog, Uncle Herb, and my dad. I recall lots of shouting, the skunk making a hasty escape into the woods and poor Lady being thrown into the river several times to get rid of the stink.

She swam to shore every time, but was a very grouchy pooch for the inconvenience.

Once that was done, Aunt Flo and Mom threw Uncle Herb and my dad in the river. Several times. To get rid of the stink.

Intoxicating spirits may have been involved.

None of those were thrown into the river.

icon10.gif

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Ha. Reminds me of this email I got the other day.
1731893232_795aede304.jpg

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
many years ago I spent a Fri night with my best friend giving her sprayed til he dripped dog a tomato bath--with paste because the stores were closed and no tomato soup or sauce was in the house. Had to lug gallons of water from the kitchen down into the basement to bathe the dog--no sink down there but they did have a floor drain. After, we split the last can of paste for ourselves.