Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Of the SCWBI?? I am considering signing up, and I want some honest assessments. Do you think it's worth it? Do you get a lot of benefit from your bucks?

Since I have a signed contract, I can join as a full member, but I just want to find out what others think of it before I shell out the $75

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
I've been a member for about 8 years now. As far as benefits...
* the conferences are great. I enjoy networking at them and speaking at the locals near me.
* the printed material is good but the lists of agents and publishers are not always vetted well so you have to be REALLY careful. I don't know if they still put Publish America on their publisher list but they used to along with some other bad publishers.
* the discussion boards on the SCBWI site are nice but really I find the boards are write4kids and at verlakay.com to be much better.
* if you LIKE speaking at writing conferences -- joining is worthwhile for that alone.
* if you write about writing much -- you can unload reprints on the bulletin which gets your name out there. A LOT of editors and agents are SCBWI members.
* if you are near the beginning of your career, the conferences and retreats are TOTALLY worth it though they often really focus on the beginner and don't have as much "after you publish, now what" type stuff.

Anyway, I joined because I like being a member of the professional organization that focuses on my area. It's only one part of a lot of things I do, but I like it.

gran

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
CWgranny, you are the person I was hoping would answer. Thanks. I am hoping to go to some writers' conferences in the near future. I think they have one in NY, which is do able. LA is not.

Zaz - you're messed up, man.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
The NYC is a BIG BIG conference if you're talking about the national. There's also a great retreat I've heard of upstate....at ...hmmm...now the place has slipped my mind. Dang getting older sucks. There's Hofstra which is wonderful (and also over for this year) and then there's...dang...

I'll remember eventually. Anyway, I would ease into the big one and catch a regional first. Hey, you can drive over to the New England regional in May...I'm speaking this year ;-) Of course my workshop is at the same time as Laura Williams McCaffrey so I am going to be so lonely.

gran

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
LOL. NE is a little far for me. Anything too far north of NYC, and we're running into "traveling." My budget can't handle that.

I have to see what's going on down this way. NJ, Eastern PA, Delaware...maybe as far as Md.

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
You know nothing!

Christine N. said:
Zaz - you're messed up, man.

Messed up is such a flexible phrase, particularly when used in a written forum devoid of any notation of emotion or possible sarcasm or borderline insult/truth.

I mean, really, am I a disgusting individual?
Perhaps.
Am I close to beyond hope if not one foot over the line at all times?
There's a distinct possibility.
Could I be handicapable or should I just be locked away from society for good?
Some of the people at the bar would say so.

In conclusion, I agree. I am messed up. Whatever that means.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Actually, I asked if anyone WAS a member, not HAD a member, Zaz.. so if you ARE a member, well, now, that's different, isn't it?

LOL. You need professional help. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yup, I'm a full member of SCBWI. Joined last year and not sure if I'm renewing. You can still attend conferences and workshops even as a non-member, but at a slightly higher rate. Last year there was a weekend workshop in Toms River, NJ, but not this year. There are others in North Jersey. CW is right about the listing of editors and publishers. Not always up-to-date, either. As for the boards there, I have to agree again with CW: I like write4kids.com better.

Just my little ol' opinion, Christine!

Status
Not open for further replies.