PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any real American cops?

ALLWritety
06-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi

Does anyone out there know of any real live American cops?

I have written some stuff and i would like to get their take on it.

If you know them we would need to work out a way to contact each other.

I am open to suggestions.

Kev

kristie911
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm a 911 dispatcher, was married for 9 years to a cop and am currently dating a cop.

Yeah, I know a few. :)

PM me...I'm glad to help.

Don Allen
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
My brother in law was a Sargent on the chicago force, but will not talk about his experiance,,,,bitter old guy, sorry...

RJK
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm a retired cop. Small city. Spent most of my time in uniform. Patrol and as a supervisor. I retired a while ago but I've tried to keep current with procedures.

IceCreamEmpress
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Off-topic comment on something that's driving me crazy: I think you mean that you were "formerly" KCpotatohead, not "formally".

The Queen of England, formerly "Princess Elizabeth" before her accession to the throne, is formally "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

Alvah
06-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I had a relative (he passed away a few years ago) who was a Boston police officer for 30 years, ten of those years as a homicide dective.

He told me something that surprised me. He said that in 30 years
he had to draw his gun only a few times, and he never had to shoot anyone. Quite different than what one sees on T.V.

Alvah
06-11-2008, 12:14 AM
[quote=Alvah;2434736] a homicide dective.
quote]

Spellcheckers? We don't need no stinkin spellcheckers!

Appalachian Writer
06-11-2008, 01:04 AM
I guess the time has come to admit it. I was married to a cop for five years, f-i-v-e long years. Unfortunately, I think I know his phone number. Let me know if you want to speak to him and I'll try to make arrangements. (He's still a cop. Started as a patrol officer and now he's a sargeant.)

WriterX316
06-11-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm studying criminal forensics with AIU and have most of the books for the field. Got a question let me know. I'll look it up. Otherwise I can email my instructors.

johnnysannie
06-11-2008, 03:20 AM
I had a relative (he passed away a few years ago) who was a Boston police officer for 30 years, ten of those years as a homicide dective.

He told me something that surprised me. He said that in 30 years
he had to draw his gun only a few times, and he never had to shoot anyone. Quite different than what one sees on T.V.

I have a close relative still in law enforcement and he has said much the same.

Smiling Ted
06-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Many police departments in major American cities have PIOs - Public Information Officers - basically, press secretaries in uniform. If you contact them, they're usually happy to give you the info themselves or help you find an officer.

LAPD also has "lead officers" who do this.

You might start with Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), New York Police Department (NYPD), Los Angeles Sheriffs Department (LASD), and Chicago Police Department (CPD).

(By the way, Los Angeles Sheriffs are cops who work for the county of LA, as opposed to the city of LA. If you were wondering.)

Anthony Matias
06-11-2008, 04:29 AM
I was a reserve police officer. Couldn't be arrogant enough to make as a full-time one though.

Ravenlocks
06-11-2008, 04:53 AM
If you have particular questions, this place might help: http://forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112. Be sure to mention you're a writer. Also pop into the Rap Sheets forum and introduce yourself.

Zoombie
06-11-2008, 04:54 AM
I've met a few cops, ranging from the very nice to the...kinda annoying. Like the guy who gave me a ticket for walking my bike without a helmet on.