PDA

View Full Version : Wrote my book and it's now on the market--YEEHAW

janie
06-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Since I first came to the Non-fiction forum many many months ago, wanted to return and report good news.

Last year, I wrote a non-fiction health book. Already had a large website based on the same subject with 4000-5000 unique hits daily, so had a good platform from which to sell it. Thought my writing skills were good enough....yet, I was rejected by at least 100 agents, if not more. (I stopped counting. I'm thinking it was a lot more, closer to 200.)

I figured that part of the problem was the existence of several other books on the same subject. But...I knew firsthand that my book was from a completely different angle with breaking information, so I persisted...not beating my head against the wall with more rejections, but finally picking myself off the floor of rejection boo-hoos and deciding I would simply publish it myself, by golly.

And....equally as important, I studied three other books on the same health subject to understand how they were laid out--not the subject matter, but headings and such. I made some important changes, which in my mind, was the silver lining in the despair of a mass of rejections. It pushed me back to the book and to study other books even more.

Next, I named my own publishing company. I used two key self-publishing books to guide me. Then found someone to design my cover, and another person to format it for me, since I found Indesign WAYYYYYYY over my head. There were many many emails between myself and the formatter. lol

Then used a well-known printer, who is also my distributor. Created my publishing website, and the book began sales 8 weeks ago. It also made Amazon this past week. Yeehaw! Reviews are coming in and so far, they are all incredibly positive!! I am eager to see how things will continue to unfold as the next few months progress.

All in all, the most helpful part of this whole process was simply trusting my gut, not necessarily what others were telling me. I persisted in SPITE of what others told me.

I'm not sure if I can mention the book, as I saw it done on another forum and the mod royally slapped him on the hand for spamming. Huh?? So not sure what to do until and if someone says I can.

So, hope this helps in some way those that are coming to this forum. Sure, it's a nice thought that your non-fiction book finds an agent. But, I've also found out that if you do your homework, and have a good platform, you can have incredible success even without one. :)

Janie

awatkins
06-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Congrats on your success! I'll port this over to Goals and Accomplishments (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31) for you. :)

janie
06-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Congrats on your success! I'll port this over to Goals and Accomplishments (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31) for you. :)

ummmmm......well, my intent was to give encouragement to others in the non-fiction forum, especially since I spent so much time there, not to have it "happily" "ported" over. Oh well.

clara bow
06-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad all of your hard work paid off.

oarsman
06-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Congratulations, janie! :) You've shown how persistence can bring results.

Cassidy
06-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Janie, I don't see any problem with sharing the title of your book, or putting a link to your website in your signature. In fact, once you have 50 posts which you almost do, you can add your book to the AW library. Congratulations on a big accomplishment and best wishes for continued good reviews and sales...
-Robin

Disa
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Congratulations!

awatkins
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
ummmmm......well, my intent was to give encouragement to others in the non-fiction forum, especially since I spent so much time there, not to have it "happily" "ported" over. Oh well.

Okie dokie. Porting the thread back. Feel free to mention your book's title and other info. And, congrats again. Sounds like your hard work paid off.

flashgordon
06-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Congrats, that is very cool. You should definitely mention your book, and add a link in your signature line to your website. I wanted to see what it was, but since you don't mention it I'm not sure even how to look for it.

Bo Sullivan
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Congratulations and well done for being persistent.

Barbara

melaniehoo
06-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Congratulations!

Susan B
06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Congrats! And yes, you should mention the book in your signature line :-)

Bluestone
06-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Congratulations, first and foremost!

Interesting to read your journey. At any rate, I checked it out on Amazon and there are great reviews, so extra congratulations. I saw one that said they could have used more info on problems, symptoms - sort of non-beginner stuff - so maybe you have the makings of a second book on the subject!

Thanks for sharing and continued success. It was a great story of perseverence and believing in yourself.

tombookpub
06-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Janie: Congrats on your book publishing success! I am following closely in your footsteps!

Re: Then found someone to design my cover, and another person to format it for me, since I found Indesign WAYYYYYYY over my head. There were many many emails between myself and the formatter. lol

What was your experience like with both your inner and outer designers? In my current dealings with these folks, I have had to treat them with almost kid gloves - ever praising their work and very politely suggesting changes (that I believe are warranted) that sometimes fall on deaf ears or are dismissed! Plus, re: your e-mails, the designers all favor e-mails vs picking up the phone and discussing a topic. Oftentimes, a phone call would have saved several question clarifying and answer seeking e-mails. In sum, I wonder who really is the customer - many times I felt like it was them.

MadScientistMatt
06-17-2008, 04:18 AM
Congratulations, and good luck on your new publishing venture!

soleary
06-17-2008, 04:29 AM
WELL DONE!

So happy for you!

ssnowe
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
That's awesome. Congrats!

smoothseas
06-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Mazel tov - wtg!

littlewhitewolf
06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
CONGRATS

happyslob
06-26-2008, 09:31 PM
A huge congratulations to you! That's fabulous news, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Take care,
Christina