PDA

View Full Version : Too Confusing For TV

Joycecwilliams
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Last month I posted about the Supperintendent of Schools calling me up and trying to intimidate me about my article where my town payed over 100,000.00 for tuition for children that did not live in our town.

I am not covering the story for the next school board meeting on June11, because I am going as a taxpayer and want to state my beefs. However I have contacted three newspapers and asked them to send a reporter to the meeting.

I also called up the local TV station... and they told me it was too confussing for TV. Too many details..

I find that odd...

Shadow_Ferret
06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Not at all. Ever watch television news? It's broken down into short, understandable 10 or 15 second chunks. They rarely go into complex details which is what a school board meeting would require.

Joycecwilliams
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Not at all. Ever watch television news? It's broken down into short, understandable 10 or 15 second chunks. They rarely go into complex details which is what a school board meeting would require.

I guess you right.

Kitrianna
06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
They want easily digestable news and then they wonder why the public isn't more informed about the issues...go figure. It's very sad Joyce and I'm sorry you had to learn about it this way.

Shadow_Ferret
06-10-2008, 12:48 AM
The local news gives you headlines of the days events. If you want deeper information, that's what newspapers and the web are generally for.

The people are uninformed because they're too lazy to persue "further information" and choose to get all their news from the television.

MattW
06-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Tell them there may be something killing children in the schools...more at 11.

Red-Green
06-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Nice! Better yet, use the Stone Phillips formulation: "What you don't know about the local school board...could kill you. Or you know, raise your taxes."

Joe270
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
I also called up the local TV station... and they told me it was too confussing for TV. Too many details..

I find that odd...

It's not just the audience. Have you ever talked with a local TV anchor at a party? Sheesh, scary. They are nothing but talking heads. Not a whole lot going on upstairs.

The Eagles had it right:

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Goes just as well for the anchormen, too.

Joycecwilliams
06-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Lol

Joycecwilliams
06-10-2008, 06:45 AM
The local news gives you headlines of the days events. If you want deeper information, that's what newspapers and the web are generally for.

The people are uninformed because they're too lazy to persue "further information" and choose to get all their news from the television.

The problem is, some people don't have the time to read the paper..

scottVee
06-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Oddly, one reason the TV news fails to inform people of real-world stuff is that it barely deals with the real world. In order for a story to be "newsworthy" it must somehow be uncommon or dangerous ... so in the end the nightly news shows a heap of things that hardly ever happen in the real world. And yes, if something doesn't fit in 10-15 second bites, it can't be covered in that format. Too much other unlikely stuff to shovel through the door.

Any issue that's more complex should be targeted at newspapers or magazines, though there are editorial quirks and biases there, too. Letting the media know there's an event of local importance they might want to cover sounds like the right move.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Our news folk are too busy reporting about what's on TV later tonight, how high gas was/is/will be, which shampoo to use to make your hair softer/more manageable, the dangers of Botox, Father's Day gifts - you know, the hard-hitting stuff. ETA: And tomatoes. The hottest news is about washing our tomatoes. And Jaio Jaio, our latest newbie newscaster, thinks earthquakes are part of the weather. ::sigh::

Two little girls were shot to death in eastern Oklahoma... there's been very little said about it. I guess that's not important enough to warrant their attention.

Shadow_Ferret
06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
The problem is, some people don't have the time to read the paper..
Do you think they'd have time then to sit and listen to indepth stories on the television news?

Maybe if they stopped shilling for network programs -- Fox News is always spending 5 minutes on America Idol for instance -- they'd actually have time to INFORM us.

But yes, as someone pointed out, School Board stories are BOOORING. They don't bring in viewers. They certainly don't increase ratings. When I took Mass Comm, they told us that the rule for news is, "If it bleeds, it leads."

There's nothing glamorous about school board meetings unless someone goes berserk.

Joycecwilliams
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Our news folk are too busy reporting about what's on TV later tonight, how high gas was/is/will be, which shampoo to use to make your hair softer/more manageable, the dangers of Botox, Father's Day gifts - you know, the hard-hitting stuff. ETA: And tomatoes. The hottest news is about washing our tomatoes. And Jaio Jaio, our latest newbie newscaster, thinks earthquakes are part of the weather. ::sigh::

Two little girls were shot to death in eastern Oklahoma... there's been very little said about it. I guess that's not important enough to warrant their attention.

Yes I saw the grandfather on TV soo sad. Maybe the TV station feels it's too confusing... :)

Joycecwilliams
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Do you think they'd have time then to sit and listen to indepth stories on the television news?

Maybe if they stopped shilling for network programs -- Fox News is always spending 5 minutes on America Idol for instance -- they'd actually have time to INFORM us.

But yes, as someone pointed out, School Board stories are BOOORING. They don't bring in viewers. They certainly don't increase ratings. When I took Mass Comm, they told us that the rule for news is, "If it bleeds, it leads."

There's nothing glamorous about school board meetings unless someone goes berserk.

I agree that most school board meetings are boring. I cover them for the paper all the time. However my sources tell me they think so many people are showing up at the meeting it may have to be moved to a larger facility.

Also the meeting is being held in the oldest continueous operating one room school house ing the country... Built in 1780... :)

MattW
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Which is why Joyce is going to the meeting as "A concerned citizen."

Joycecwilliams
06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Which is why Joyce is going to the meeting as "A concerned citizen."

Well I am thinking that a lot of people are going to go berserk. :)

I ran into a schoolboard member tonight, and he told me he believes that schoolboard was deliberately deceived about one of the families... I told him that I felt we were deceived about the 2... and he kinda agreed... It should be interesting.