I need suggestions for making life on crutches more comfortable

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Ok, this is how it went. Wednesday evening, my ankle started bugging me (the one that I am incapable of spraining due to majorly stretched out ligaments and tendons). I think to myself 'I just need to crack it/shift the bones back.' Thursday night it swells and I think 'It's just the heat' (the right one wasn't swollen). Friday evening comes, I take a header out back my neighbours...the ankle is GONE! After suffering for a weekend with excruciating pain (I felt the lightning in my ankle last night, kind of burned) and swelling, I figure that I've probably broke it (can't afford 400+ bucks to go to the ER), so now the hubs has me on crutches and says that I have to use them for the next 6 weeks bare minimum. Today is day 2 and my palms, arms and ribcage are already sore and tired. So what I need are some suggestions to make the next 6 weeks more bearable...PLEASE!!!!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitrianna, if you believe the ankle is broken, you need medical care. If the bones are out of alignment, it will heal badly and may never support you properly. Bite the bullet and get yourself a little in debt. This is the only body you're going to get, you know?

In the meantime...

Make sure you understand how you’re supposed to use your crutches, and have a professional set their height, watch you use the crutches, and tell you if it seems to be right. (Regardless of your actual height, fit depends on how far your palms are from the floor.) How is the injured foot (or leg, or ankle) supposed to be positioned while you’re moving along on crutches? Should you be allowing it to accept any of your weight? Do the crutches and injured foot/leg move forward at the same time, or in separate steps? Be sure that your weight is nearly all on the padded hand grips of the crutches, not on the padded underarm part. You should not be hunched over forward or standing uncommonly tall to use your crutches.

Crutches and stairs don’t mix. If your home has two floors, find out how (or if) you’re supposed to move from one to the other. Depending on your injury, you may be expected to crawl or sit on the stairs—get someone to vacuum or sweep them.

Despite rubber tips with suction cups, crutches can be treacherous when you’re on a slick surface. Consider carefully whether you should venture out in snow, ice, or rain—or a recent wax job on the floor.

Small items can keep the crutch from making a firm contact with the floor or sidewalk, and you can easily fall if the crutch slips when it’s supposed to be holding you up. Inside, make sure debris is swept up (or kicked aside, anyway), especially on hard floors like wood or tile. Outside, keep an eye out for pebbles, broken glass, wet leaves, etc.

People who need crutches find it much harder to use them than their friends and family who cavort on them like a gymnastics event. Don’t let the graceful antics of people who play with your crutches get you down—remember, they have nothing to fear if their weight is abruptly shifted to their feet and legs.

Whether you’re young or older, thin or thick, fit or flabby, moving yourself via crutches uses muscles you many not ordinarily think about, much less exercise. Anticipate tired or sore muscles in the arms and shoulders. Nearly all women have much less upper-body strength than men, so they can expect more.

You will experience minor soreness of the palms of your hands as they bear some of your body’s weight on crutches. If it’s bothersome, it can be prevented or lessened by wearing gloves that cushion the palms but allow a secure grip. (Fabric-lined leather gloves, for instance.) If your palms are really tender, consider handball gloves with a padded or gel-filled palm.

If your underarms get more than slightly sore, you’re putting way too much weight on that part of the crutch. Moving around on crutches is like weight-lifting: form is everything.

Long-hairs beware: The rubber pads of crutches can and will snag loose strands and cheerfully pluck them right out. Keep a barrette or hair-type rubber band handy. Consider an up-do or braid.

Think you’re safe because your hair is shorter? Hah! If you move your head near the crutches when you’re seated and they’re conveniently close at hand, they can still “grab” you.

It’s up to the crutch-user to make sure that other people remember that people on crutches can’t carry anything that doesn’t fit in a pocket. Women’s’ clothing has very few functional pockets unless she slips into a blazer—and those might still be stitched shut (so it hangs better). Even considerate people won’t consistently remember that you can’t carry a darned thing, so you have to ask them to bring what you’d ordinarily carry for yourself.

The person on crutches can make very good use of a fanny pack, which won’t interfere with balance or with the crutches as long as the pack is in front or back (not on the sides).

A loaded backpack may interfere with balance and contribute to falls, but a light one may prove useful. The first few times you use it, have someone behind you to help if you lose your balance.

A shoulder bag with a long enough strap to go over the head, so it crosses the body diagonally and can’t slip off the shoulder, may seem like a good idea, but in reality it can easily swing forward and get in the way, including knocking your crutch to the ground.

If you’re on crutches, you may choose to cut back on how much coffee you drink. Coffee is a diuretic, and having to get up to pee every half hour can be quite a chore.

Be aware that beer is also a diuretic—and that alcohol in any form is usually a dangerous mix with pain medications. Think twice before having that one beer or glass of wine with dinner.

Maryn, who's spent time on crutches

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Break your collar bone. You'll be so focused on the pain from THAT that you'll forget all about your ankle.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn..I would, but it wouldn't be just a bit of debt. I live in Canada. I can't work here and they CAN and have refused to treat me in the past because I don't have OHIP or health insurance (I'm not Canadian, I just married one). Kthrok doesn't make alot of money and we're not even scraping by as is. Besides, that ankle is already so screwed up that I can't find an orthopedic surgeon that will touch it with anything, not even cortizone, so it can't get any worse (I tried back when I had health coverage). Right now it looks like it's in alignment, doesn't hurt too badly (I do have a rather high threshold for pain) and isn't swelling that badly either. It's double wrapped in a tensor (for stability and lack of mobility) and I'm keeping my weight off of it. As for crutches, this is my 5th time on them in 14 years and it should actually be the 9th, but I'm stubborn, so I'm an old pro with short term use (sprains, strain and contusions in the past), but anything longer than a week and I've thrown them to the curb and grinned and beared the pain that resulted from not using them. This time the hubs is saying "hell no, you're using them for at least the 6 weeks". I've tried bargaining, but he won't budge...he bites...so I know that I'm going to suffer for awhile (I've sprained both shoulders in the recent past). I'm just trying to suffer a little less.

You're not funny James. Well may be you are, but looks aren't everything.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
There aren't any kind of critical care clinics by you? Trust me, you do NOT want to mess with a possibly broken ankle.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but here - even if the bill is HUGE, the hospitals are (usually) willing to work out a payment schedule based on what you feel you can pay.

Please, go get it looked at. Please.

Ldyjarhead

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that you need to have it seen by a medical professional, some how, some way. If it isn't setting right, you could be asking for major trouble down the road.

As for making the crutches more comfortable, get some cheap, small kitchen sponges and tape them over the arm pads already there,and add them to the hand grips too. Worked for me when I broke a toe ummm, a good number of years ago.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
This is how it works up here. Hospital: "Do you have OHIP?" Me: "No, I'm from the States." Hospital: "well...it'll be 150 dollars minimum to see the doctor, then you'll have to pay for the x-rays and otehr tests. Do you have that much on you?" Me: "nope." Hospital: "Well I'm sorry, but your injury isn't life threatening so we aren't going to treat you."

That's a slight dramatization, but basically the jist of it. About 12 years ago, a kid from the States was stabbed at a club. He had health insurance. The hospital in Niagara Falls REFUSED to treat him because he didn't have OHIP. His friends had to drive him across the border with him bleeding all over to get him medical care. If they won't treat someone who could bleed to death in a matter of hours or less because of no OHIP, do you honestly think that they're going to treat a potentially broken bone?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
How far from the States are you? If you are close enough, get in a car and drive across the border. The emergency rooms will treat you. At least you'll know if it's really bad or not.

In my emergency room experience, they try to get you to leave without filling out the forms. The times I've needed them for my wife and kids, it seemed they were put out that I was willing to pay. (I paid by personal credit card, but my healthcare was 100% refunded for darn near everything. I really miss that plan a lot.)

So much for socialized medicine, eh?

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I was off weight on crutches for 8 weeks after fracturing my femur running the Las Vegas Marathon in a sandstorm (true story, even if you say it with an English accent). Lower the height of your crutches -- they should never hit your arm pits. And, put boxer's wraps on top to make the top softer. GOOD LUCK@

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Just an aside on crutches (ETA: soleary beat me to it, but I'll leave this anyway):

My son was on crutches a few times last year for months at a time (he had leg-lengthening ops). One thing to note: the crutches were set by the physio well below his armpits (a few centimetres). It's your forearms and wrists that take your weight and steady you, not your underarms.

When going down stairs (yes, we had stairs), you put your injured foot first--if you can't put weight on it, put it out front and hop down on your good foot, using your crutches for support (depending on whether there are handrails or not). Going up stairs is the opposite--lead with your good foot (and swing the bad one behind). So, lead with your good foot up, and bad foot down. Here's a website that may explain it better. :)

Best of luck with your recovery. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Cripes. Every now and then I come across a thread that makes me feel... just useless.

Wish I could do something to help. I'd carry some of the pain if I could, even.

I wish you speedy health and ease in the meantime.

:(

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Much good luck, Kit. Sending good vibes and prayers your way and hope you will be fine very soon and not in pain. :Hug2: