Father's Day Dinner?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
What is everyone making for Father's Day? I'm making a family favorite. Soft shell crabs on toasted Italtian bread, Puruvian Potato salad, Mixed greens with Gorgonzola cheese, and for dessert a choice of either fresh strawberries and cream tart; or Key Lime pie.

The house is hot as blazes and will be even hotter after I cook the soft crabs, so we'll be eating out on the patio beneath the deep shade of our maple trees. It's just hubby, me and two grouchy kids.

Ahhh...someday they'll move out. :)

EM

Last edited:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
That sounds good! I wish I could still eat shellfish but I became allergic to it. I always said if I had just one day I could eat it again I'd pick crabs. I've been thinking about making the hubby crab cakes since he loves them. He seems to like them even though I have no idea how they taste. I just throw stuff together and he swears they taste great. We've been trying to save money and haven't went out to dinner in so long I might just take him out.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
What is everyone making for Father's Day? I'm making a family favorite. Soft shell crabs on toasted Italtian bread, Puruvian Potato salad, Mixed greens with Gorgonza cheese, and for dessert a choice of either fresh strawberries and cream tart; or Key Lime pie.

The house is hot as blazes and will be even hotter after I cook the soft crabs, so we'll be eating out on the patio beneath the deep shade of our maple trees. It's just hubby, me and two grouchy kids.

EM

So, what time should I be there? Four? Five?

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
What is everyone making for Father's Day? I'm making a family favorite. Soft shell crabs on toasted Italtian bread, Puruvian Potato salad, Mixed greens with Gorgonza cheese, and for dessert a choice of either fresh strawberries and cream tart; or Key Lime pie.

EM

That sounds absolutely awesome!
I asked my dad what he would like and he requested grilled fish tacos. (I think there is a post around here about fish tacos but I haven't read it yet)
So, I'll do mahi mahi on the grill, and have a white sauce, salsa and diced cabbage for garnishes.
For sides, I'll make some pinto beans and smash them to where dad thinks they have been refried. ;) (I have to keep it healthy) and spanish rice.
Desert, I haven't decided on yet. Although, I'm recalling the vanilla bean thread and homeade vanilla ice cream or rum raisin sounds so good.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds absolutely awesome!
I asked my dad what he would like and he requested grilled fish tacos. (I think there is a post around here about fish tacos but I haven't read it yet)
So, I'll do mahi mahi on the grill, and have a white sauce, salsa and diced cabbage for garnishes.
For sides, I'll make some pinto beans and smash them to where dad thinks they have been refried. ;) (I have to keep it healthy) and spanish rice.
Desert, I haven't decided on yet. Although, I'm recalling the vanilla bean thread and homeade vanilla ice cream or rum raisin sounds so good.

Damn, Krystal. It's Father's day. Let the man have some refried beans if that's what he likes. Feed him celery the rest of the year if you must.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I'll be the width of the lower-48 away from the family, so I'll probably just go to Herb's Tavern and have a burger and a beer (or three).

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
A Confession~

When I posted this thread yesterday about Father's Day...I thought it WAS Father's day! (I get confused...Mother's day is the 2ND Sunday in May; Father's Day is the 3RD Sunday in June... must remember this for next year...)

Everyone in my family thought it WAS Father's day since I told everyone it was (and I'm always right, lol). My daughter's boyfriend called his Father in WVA, and wished him a happy day, Hubby went and visited his stepfather and took him crabcakes, and I made my special meal... it was good. <g>

I didn't find out my mistake until I confronted what I thought was my surly son and gave him "Hell" for making other plans on Father's Day (ungrateful little ...).

Son to Mom, "Uh, this isn't Father's Day; it's next week." This was at 6:00pm after I'd already put dinner together.

I told hubby since I'd already made his Father's Day dinner we were good for next week. Hubby said no way, he wants the same dinner all over again.

Sigh...

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Father's Day dinner? You mean you actually celebrate Father's Day?

I always thought we were the forgotten parent.

Not in my house! In my house, hubby is the good parent. Me...not so good...

I used to tell my children (and I was only *half*-kidding), "Pray your father lives a long time..."