Help! I think my fish is dying!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My Japanese Beta is just over 3 years old...and while he was a very happy fish, very active and responsive up until about a month ago - when I relocated his bowl to the kitchen, away from the activity in the living room. He has lost his purple color, he's almost a greyish purple, and he's not nearly as active. Are his final moments coming? Can I perk him up? I put him back in his original location, can I give him vitamins or something??? Help!

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
Oh I hope it isn't too late for him. I'd call a pet store and ask them what to do. They are usually very helpful. Sorry you are having to go through this.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Quick! Flush him!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Betas are extremely temperature sensitive. Perhaps the move put him in a different room temp. They don't like the cold at all, but don't want to be too warm either.

The first thing I would do would be to move him to his previous location. Has he had a recent water change? That can upset the temp as well.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the move depressed him and now I feel bad about it. He's back, and his water level is low, I have to clean him NOW. I'm hoping a fresh bowl fixes him right up. I had moved his bowl to next to the fridge.....right up against it on the counter, do you think it is too hot? Hmmmm interesting...well I'm hoping to save him. Wish me luck! God I'm horrible!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I was under the impression that, unless agitated, betas spent most of their time just doing nothing anyway.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought 2 tubes of Beta Revive...I really hope it helps. In addition to his being lethargic, I just noticed his fins are not as long....he's alone so nobody is nipping them off, where have they gone???

I don't know what the life span is for Betas, but he's been quite happy up until a couple of days ago. He lives in a 3 gallon aquarium, not a regular fish bowl. And only swims in bottled gallons of water. He lives in our dining room, which being an apartment is the center of the apartment and is around all of the activity. He only recently moved to the kitchen, away from everybody. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with his life span, or not. Either way, I am attached as silly as that may sound.

Treatment is given for at least 3 days, up to 7.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short fins and his color seems muted? That actually sounds like a possible fungal infection. Is there anything on him that looks like spots or that seems like white fuzz?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I've read about the "Velvet" disease, but he doesnt seem to have spots, or anything like that, he just looks dull in color...I'm gonna take a pic of him and post for you to see... (is that wierd???)

:)

EDIT... lol... I didn't take the picture, i didn't want to scare him with the flash.... but yea, he doesn't have spots, he just looks pale. And his fins really disturb me, almost as if they were cut off, straight cut not jagged....so I don't know. Reading now about MelaFix...for fins regrowth....will wait to see how he behaves in a couple of days. If the meds seem to work, I'll look into the MelaFix.

And to think I wanted Guinea Pigs......can you imagine???

Last edited:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I got a little closer, and it does look like he's been dusted with something.....but it's his whole body, not spots.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. That's a fungal disease all right. You can buy something for it at your local aquarium shop.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Yea I did - Beta Revive. Says it treats and controlls Protozoan, Bacterial and Fungal Diseases. His water is now turquoise from the meds, and he's moving - I keep checking on him and find him in a new area of the aquarium. We'll see.

What caused it and how do I prevent this???

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I just caught him swimming up to the top and back down again! Ok, gonna go watch him. hehe.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he was 3 years old....and from what I've read, that is a feat on its own. It was his time I suppose. On to the goldfish.....

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, sorta. I found him at 11 last night, my son was already asleep. And I am real squeamish about dead things and didn't want to look at it so I ladled it out of the aquarium and in the dark walked him to the toi....ocean....and plopped him in and flushed....all in the dark. I can't look at dead fish. I relied on the plop/splash and flushed him away to sea.

I told my son in the morning, who was ok with it and asked if he could see him. Obviously not as squeamish as I am.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Refridgerators put out heat!!!! Not a good place for a fish in summer. We had a beta for 3 years, carried him from the US in a bottle in a pocket. We lost one 2 weeks ago to a wierd abdominal bloat that made him float though he ate and could straighten up-had him 2 years.

Let fresh water stand for 3-4 days before changing beta water & add a tiny sprinkle of salt with the 3-4 drops conditioner/qt. of water.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
What caused it and how do I prevent this???

Stress is the biggest killer of fish. It allows other illnesses to take hold. He was stressed and old, so he got sick. It also seems you don't know much about fish illnesses, so you probably missed the early warning signs. Fish have to be treated early if you want them to pull through.

For future fish, make sure to read up on fish illnesses before you have a problem. Keep basic fish medicines in the house.

A good forum for learning more is this one: http://www.fishforums.net/

Well, he was 3 years old....and from what I've read, that is a feat on its own. It was his time I suppose. On to the goldfish.....

Goldfish live a long time, but they grow big and they're messy. You'll need a much bigger tank, with a full filtration system and the like. You'll need to cycle the tank, which'll take some research first. Some of the fancy types have additional health problems that you'll need to watch. Most people who keep goldfish are ill-treating them, so research... don't rely on what friends do with their fish.

Bettas are much easier to keep and much hardier.

Reading now about MelaFix...for fins regrowth....will wait to see how he behaves in a couple of days. If the meds seem to work, I'll look into the MelaFix.

Melafix is something I always keep on hand. You can use it as a mild treatment and give it preemptively. If you know you need to move a fish for example, you can give it melafix for a few days to help it fight off infection. Bettas should be given a lower dose than is recommended on the bottle. Perhaps a third to a half, depending how urgent you think it is. The same goes for other medicines that aren't betta-specific.

Let fresh water stand for 3-4 days before changing beta water & add a tiny sprinkle of salt with the 3-4 drops conditioner/qt. of water.

Aging the water by standing works if chlorine is in the water. However, some water supplies are dosed with chloramine, which doesn't disappear during aging. A chemical dechlorinator is the safest method in those areas. I couldn't find out what my local water company uses, so I don't take chances.