PDA

View Full Version : Lady Question, Guys Beware of Uteruses

DonnaDuck
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Really, it's a quick question--is 13 too old for a girl to get her period? I know on average it's around 11 or 12 but in today's world it's probably closer to 10. The character in question is in a fantasy world that is in no way shape or form connected to this one so estrogen in the chicken isn't a factor. I want to say 13 isn't too old although it's on the later side of things but I just wanted a few other opinions on this. Thanks!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
No, it's not. Age at menses is affected by diet, activity levels, heredity, health... a study in '97 (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/104/4/936) showed the average age was 12.88 years for white girls and 12.16 for African American.

Menyanthana
06-08-2008, 07:25 PM
13 ist completely normal. I read somewhere, some lucky girls even get it at the age of 17...
It depends from the weight as far as I know, so, in a historic/fantasy mixture story I wrote, the heroine gets her period with 15...she hasn't had much to eat for a long time, so I think that is okay.

Dommo
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Sometimes I wish they never got their period, as then I wouldn't have to put up with the huge mood swings and irritability.

*runs for cover, and gets out his fire extinguisher for the inevitable flaming to come, hopes his girlfriend doesn't see this*

Calla Lily
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I first got mine at 12. A coworker first got hers at 9. Yow.

Lyra Jean
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I believe I was 14-15 when I got mine. Can I give it back? :)

Kathie Freeman
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Got mine at 13, finished at 52, thank goodness.

JoNightshade
06-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I believe I was 14-15 when I got mine. Can I give it back? :)

Ditto? :)

jennifer75
06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I started my P when I was in the 7th grade, I was 12. This I hear is the common and typical age for girls. I'd actually say 13 was a tad later than "normal".

melaniehoo
06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I got mine at 14.

Jersey Chick
06-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I believe anything up to the age of 16 is considered normal. I was 12. It sucked. It still kind of sucks. Though it does give me an excuse once a month to flee the fam and go take a nap - so there are some advantages. :D

kuwisdelu
06-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Girls are getting it younger and younger these days. Most likely due to changes in diet. Overweight girls tend to get it much earlier, and skinny girls much later, but of course there are many other factors involved.

My girlfriend was a competitive ice skater in high school, so she was always underweight. Thus she didn't get hers until 15 or so. Almost 16, I think, which is quite late.

I'd say 13 is a bit late these days, but it's still pretty normal. Certainly nothing to blink at in a fantasy. If it's important that it's a tad late, have other characters mention it, otherwise people will probably assume 13 is "average" in your fantasy's world.

P.H.Delarran
06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
2 of my daughters started at 12 and one on her 13th b-day (happy birthday to her!).
I was 16, and so was my mother. (was I ever worried, LOL)

DonnaDuck
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone! That helps a lot.

I was "blessed" at 11 and had a WTF IS GOING ON???? moment because I was alone and, well, had no idea what the deuce was happening. There aren't any extenuating circumstances in the story or anything, I just didn't want people to read it and go 'why the hell' is she getting it so late?'

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Sometimes I wish they never got their period, as then I wouldn't have to put up with the huge mood swings and irritability.

*runs for cover, and gets out his fire extinguisher for the inevitable flaming to come, hopes his girlfriend doesn't see this*

Trust me, a great many of us wish we'd never gotten ours, either. Ever. And if it's any consolation at all, the mood swings and irritability aren't any fun for us... then you can add in the cramps, bloating, mess, et al. You guys just have to put up with us... WE have to actually hurt and bleed for about a week a month for about forty years. When you add it up, that's about 9 YEARS of bleeding.

melaniehoo
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Trust me, a great many of us wish we'd never gotten ours, either. Ever. And if it's any consolation at all, the mood swings and irritability aren't any fun for us... then you can add in the cramps, bloating, mess, et al. You guys just have to put up with us... WE have to actually hurt and bleed for about a week a month for about forty years. When you add it up, that's about 9 YEARS of bleeding.

If I had a nickel for every time me or a friend suddenly realized we were PMS-ing and THAT'S why we want to rip everyone's head off...

DonnaDuck
06-08-2008, 09:59 PM
If I had a nickel for every time me or a friend suddenly realized we were PMS-ing and THAT'S why we want to rip everyone's head off...

Yeah, why is it that you never realize until after you've torn someone's throat out that you're a week out from your monthly dot? And you want pain, try the dot with endometriosis. From the age of 11 to about 19, the first day of every dot induced blinding (literally) pain, vomiting from said pain and fainting spells from the pain. Yay for surgery!

Haggis
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM

If I had a nickel for every time my head was ripped off... :D

melaniehoo
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
If I had a nickel for every time my head was ripped off... :D

We don't mean to, I swear.

oneblindmouse
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I got mine at 14 going on 15, and still have it at 53! Lucky me!

PattiTheWicked
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I understand it has to do with heredity, a bit. If your mom started eariler, you're more likely to start early. I had my first period just before I turned 11, and my oldest started hers around the same age.

smallthunder
06-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I got mine at 14 -- and when I turned 43, it just stopped.

Like someone flicked off the switch.

Weird things, our bodies ...

Appalachian Writer
06-09-2008, 02:37 AM
Individuals mature at different rates. Periods come to some sooner and some later. I was twelve. My younger sister a bit older. My daugher was thirteen. I knew a girl who started at ten and another who started at 15. Unless the young lady in question is 15 or older, starting her period isn't a serious problem. If you have questions about whether or not the young woman should have started her cycle or not, ask your doctor. But for now, not to worry.

IceCreamEmpress
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Pediatricians don't think it's anything to take a look at until age 15 or 16, so nobody is going to raise an eyebrow at your 13-year-old protag.

jannawrites
06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I say go for it, DonnaDuck. I think there's enough variance in real-life to warrant your choice.

What irks me is (not to stray from the thread's main point here) men assume we use our periods and moods as an excuse, when the hormones are something we have no control over! Misterwrites is just now, after 11 years and two kids together, kinda, partially starting to grasp it. *huff*

Metaphor
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Out of my main friendship group of seven girls (mostly about fourteen, none younger) four have started, 3 haven't. So, going by my personal experience, that's totally fine!

Danger Jane
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I understand it has to do with heredity, a bit. If your mom started eariler, you're more likely to start early. I had my first period just before I turned 11, and my oldest started hers around the same age.

Definitely. All the women on my mother's side (the one that appears to be dominant genetically) got theirs after age 15...I think my mother might have been sixteen? My sister and I both got ours after our fifteenth birthdays. I was starting to worry! Most of my friends got theirs much later than normal--after 15.

HeronW
06-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Depending on the time/history, girl's health, good nutrition, anywhere from 10-18.

Mike Martyn
06-10-2008, 12:58 AM

Heredity seems to be a factor. My sister got hers at 18 (!), my daughters ,one at 14 and one at 15. My sons were the same.

I appreciate what you ladies go through, at least intellectually and yes I've had my head ripped off "periodically" for the last 32 years!

Dommo
06-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Mike ???

My sons were the same.

Wow, I sure am glad I don't have your genes lol. *I keed*

NeuroFizz
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
It would likely be well within one standard deviation of the mean. Those stated numbers are statistical means (or medians in some cases) so there will be significant spread around those numbers.

Oberon
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I guess I'm weird. I have always sympathized with women who suffer the monthlies, and tried to understand how they must be feeling - the messiness, the hormones psyching them out. Men don't have the messiness, but I do believe we suffer periodic psyching out, times when things get really annoying and we strike out at stuff that really shouldn't be a bother. At one time I started to count the days, and it did seem to be roughly thirty between bouts of grouchiness. Hormones, go figure.

Sassee
06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I started mine at the beginning of 5th grade. I turned 11 a couple months later. It was kind of funny because one other girl had also started, and we were giving each other those "been there, done that" looks when the sex ed peeps started teaching us about our periods "ahead of time."

So... no, you're not out of the norm.

Southern_girl29
06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I was 11, almost 12 when I started. For me, weight didn't have anything to do with it, as I was very small at that point. I think, for me, it was more genetics than anything because my mom started at 11.

StephanieFox
06-12-2008, 01:40 AM
I got mine at 16 and was finished by 49. Usually, the later you start, the sooner you're done.

StephanieFox
06-12-2008, 01:45 AM
I guess I'm weird. I have always sympathized with women who suffer the monthlies, and tried to understand how they must be feeling - the messiness, the hormones psyching them out. Men don't have the messiness, but I do believe we suffer periodic psyching out, times when things get really annoying and we strike out at stuff that really shouldn't be a bother. At one time I started to count the days, and it did seem to be roughly thirty between bouts of grouchiness. Hormones, go figure.

Thanks! We appreciate this.

With me, it wasn't so much the hormone swings, but the pain, five days a month. I had dry heaves sometimes from the pain, and I have a high pain threashold, so forgive me it I was grumpy. (This is NOT from PMS, by the way, it was endormetriosis.) I couldn't get any doctor to take this seriously until I was 40 years old, and even then, they underprescribed drugs for me. For heaven sakes, I only needed the drugs for 5 days a month. I was so glad when it was over, but now I have hot flashes about 10 times a day. Phooey!

BlueLucario
06-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Really, it's a quick question--is 13 too old for a girl to get her period? I know on average it's around 11 or 12 but in today's world it's probably closer to 10. The character in question is in a fantasy world that is in no way shape or form connected to this one so estrogen in the chicken isn't a factor. I want to say 13 isn't too old although it's on the later side of things but I just wanted a few other opinions on this. Thanks!

You're joking right? No way! Carrie was 16 when she had her first period.

If a girl doesn't get her first period before age 16, then there's a problem. Not all women get periods anyway, maybe because of a deformed uterus. I've seen pictures of double uterus/double vaginas, or a uterus with one ovaries. I have a book I could recommend to you, if you want.

(Personally, I despise periods. Caused me total embarassment at my graduation. Grr....)

HeronW
06-15-2008, 04:51 AM
I had mine at 13 and am not so patiently waiting for menopause to finish 38 years later...sigh.

Funny--I catsat a cat who stole new tampons and used them as toys: crunchy outer paper, a string, cotton and a tube that rolls! What's not to like!