Lady Question, Guys Beware of Uteruses

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Really, it's a quick question--is 13 too old for a girl to get her period? I know on average it's around 11 or 12 but in today's world it's probably closer to 10. The character in question is in a fantasy world that is in no way shape or form connected to this one so estrogen in the chicken isn't a factor. I want to say 13 isn't too old although it's on the later side of things but I just wanted a few other opinions on this. Thanks!

Menyanthana

Moonflower
Registered
Reaction score
13 ist completely normal. I read somewhere, some lucky girls even get it at the age of 17...
It depends from the weight as far as I know, so, in a historic/fantasy mixture story I wrote, the heroine gets her period with 15...she hasn't had much to eat for a long time, so I think that is okay.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish they never got their period, as then I wouldn't have to put up with the huge mood swings and irritability.

*runs for cover, and gets out his fire extinguisher for the inevitable flaming to come, hopes his girlfriend doesn't see this*

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I started my P when I was in the 7th grade, I was 12. This I hear is the common and typical age for girls. I'd actually say 13 was a tad later than "normal".

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Girls are getting it younger and younger these days. Most likely due to changes in diet. Overweight girls tend to get it much earlier, and skinny girls much later, but of course there are many other factors involved.

My girlfriend was a competitive ice skater in high school, so she was always underweight. Thus she didn't get hers until 15 or so. Almost 16, I think, which is quite late.

I'd say 13 is a bit late these days, but it's still pretty normal. Certainly nothing to blink at in a fantasy. If it's important that it's a tad late, have other characters mention it, otherwise people will probably assume 13 is "average" in your fantasy's world.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
2 of my daughters started at 12 and one on her 13th b-day (happy birthday to her!).
I was 16, and so was my mother. (was I ever worried, LOL)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Thanks everyone! That helps a lot.

I was "blessed" at 11 and had a WTF IS GOING ON???? moment because I was alone and, well, had no idea what the deuce was happening. There aren't any extenuating circumstances in the story or anything, I just didn't want people to read it and go 'why the hell' is she getting it so late?'

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Sometimes I wish they never got their period, as then I wouldn't have to put up with the huge mood swings and irritability.

*runs for cover, and gets out his fire extinguisher for the inevitable flaming to come, hopes his girlfriend doesn't see this*

Trust me, a great many of us wish we'd never gotten ours, either. Ever. And if it's any consolation at all, the mood swings and irritability aren't any fun for us... then you can add in the cramps, bloating, mess, et al. You guys just have to put up with us... WE have to actually hurt and bleed for about a week a month for about forty years. When you add it up, that's about 9 YEARS of bleeding.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Trust me, a great many of us wish we'd never gotten ours, either. Ever. And if it's any consolation at all, the mood swings and irritability aren't any fun for us... then you can add in the cramps, bloating, mess, et al. You guys just have to put up with us... WE have to actually hurt and bleed for about a week a month for about forty years. When you add it up, that's about 9 YEARS of bleeding.

If I had a nickel for every time me or a friend suddenly realized we were PMS-ing and THAT'S why we want to rip everyone's head off...

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
If I had a nickel for every time me or a friend suddenly realized we were PMS-ing and THAT'S why we want to rip everyone's head off...

Yeah, why is it that you never realize until after you've torn someone's throat out that you're a week out from your monthly dot? And you want pain, try the dot with endometriosis. From the age of 11 to about 19, the first day of every dot induced blinding (literally) pain, vomiting from said pain and fainting spells from the pain. Yay for surgery!

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine at 14 going on 15, and still have it at 53! Lucky me!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I understand it has to do with heredity, a bit. If your mom started eariler, you're more likely to start early. I had my first period just before I turned 11, and my oldest started hers around the same age.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine at 14 -- and when I turned 43, it just stopped.

Like someone flicked off the switch.

Weird things, our bodies ...

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Individuals mature at different rates. Periods come to some sooner and some later. I was twelve. My younger sister a bit older. My daugher was thirteen. I knew a girl who started at ten and another who started at 15. Unless the young lady in question is 15 or older, starting her period isn't a serious problem. If you have questions about whether or not the young woman should have started her cycle or not, ask your doctor. But for now, not to worry.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Pediatricians don't think it's anything to take a look at until age 15 or 16, so nobody is going to raise an eyebrow at your 13-year-old protag.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it, DonnaDuck. I think there's enough variance in real-life to warrant your choice.

What irks me is (not to stray from the thread's main point here) men assume we use our periods and moods as an excuse, when the hormones are something we have no control over! Misterwrites is just now, after 11 years and two kids together, kinda, partially starting to grasp it. *huff*