For all adults

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
IF you were a teen again, what would you tell yourself?

I suppose, starting with myself, I'd say, take it easy, relax, there will be many more (friends? opportunities?) where that came from. Being an adult definitely brings in another perspective.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I would just be pissed that I was a teen again. I don't want to go back.

But I guess I would tell myself to do what I did before and just stay calm, stay focused, and get through it. Oh hey, I might have wise investment tips too. :D

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Don't marry the first girl you have sex with. AND GO TO SCHOOL.GO TO AS MUCH SCHOOL AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD< IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT<FIND A WAY>
THEN WHEN YOU'RE THROUGH WITH SCHOOL...GO FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL AND LEARN MORE..... DO THIS UNTIL YOU'RE 30 THEN LIFE CAN BEGIN... i FUCKED OFF SO MUCH THAT i'M STILL PAYING FOR IT AND QUITE FRANKLY WILL NEVER ACHIEVE WHAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE BECAUSE I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL AND PISSED OFF EVERY CHANCE I HAD TO GET AN EDUCATION... THANK YOU FOR THE RANT OPPORTUNITY...

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
IF you were a teen again, what would you tell yourself?

I suppose, starting with myself, I'd say, take it easy, relax, there will be many more (friends? opportunities?) where that came from. Being an adult definitely brings in another perspective.

"pay attention in class, study, get great grades, and GO TO COLLEGE so you can get a great paying job and buy a home!!!!" cause umm C's are good and all, and Community College for one semester is good and all, and you can f&ck off and doing nothing is great and all but when you're 32 living in a small apartment watching HGTV in envy, you'll wish you had..."

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
You'll never have to see the people from high school again.

Or, in the alternative, you'll get to laugh your ass off at them when you do see how they've not progressed much from high school.

Except the ones who have - and they realize that they should have gotten to know you better back then.

At least that's what I discovered at my 10 year reunion. The popular cheerleader gal hung out with my 'freak friend' and I all night long, realizing just how much more fun we were back in high school and that night. And how we accepted her as an adult instead of expecting her to be the same old person from high school. Then there was the snotty rich kid whose family fell on hard times and realized just what an ass he was in school because of his money. Only when others started treating him the same.

But, the best part of the night, a guys wife (someone that I barely even remembered from high school) saying how nice it was to meet me, since he's talked about me for so long.

I say, let high school go and be the person you are now. And be yourself. It'll make you much happier in the longer run.

Rabe..

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
If I were a teen again, what advice would I give myself?

Slow down and enjoy those years - don't be in such a rush to be grown-up.

High school will not matter much in the long run of life.

Don't be hard on myself when I lose my virginity; it is not the end of the world after all.

Enjoy those last years living at home with freedom from adult responsibilities like paying all the bills.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
"You know that thing you did in that church? And with that girl in Chicago? DON'T DO IT, YOU F***ING IDIOT!"

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
1. It is okay to quit and give up, and even walk away if something is not working out for you. Loyalty is a farce which will hold you back.
2. If your parents are not successful or sane, don't take their advice.
3. Don't settle in or stay in a small town.
4. Student loans are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy.
5. Go to Medical School. Even a foot doctor makes more than a factory worker.
6. Make friends with sane people, and keep up the friendships.
7. Stay physically fit.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
5. Go to Medical School. Even a foot doctor makes more than a factory worker.

If you like medicine, go to medical school. With all the (pointless) malpractice suits flying around lately, doctors are making less and less, which is really unfortunate. I'd say one of the best amazing-salary-to-time-in-school ratio is to become an actuary.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Do it all the same.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Don't marry the first girl you have sex with. AND GO TO SCHOOL.GO TO AS MUCH SCHOOL AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD< IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT<FIND A WAY>
THEN WHEN YOU'RE THROUGH WITH SCHOOL...GO FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL AND LEARN MORE..... DO THIS UNTIL YOU'RE 30 THEN LIFE CAN BEGIN... i FUCKED OFF SO MUCH THAT i'M STILL PAYING FOR IT AND QUITE FRANKLY WILL NEVER ACHIEVE WHAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE BECAUSE I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL AND PISSED OFF EVERY CHANCE I HAD TO GET AN EDUCATION... THANK YOU FOR THE RANT OPPORTUNITY...

One of the things I would say is that education isn't all it's cracked up to be - get out earlier and start learning instead.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I'd take no notice of all the bigots in school and get myself a better education. I wouldn't let the blokes I knew, when I was young, use and abuse me. Come to think of it, I'd hope to have better parents to start with LOL.

Elodie

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I'd say... Even though your childhood and teen years suck, once you get out on your own you can make your life as calm and peaceful as you want it to be and create a loving environment with all new people in it :) so hang in there... And go to college anyway, no matter what reasons you think you have for not going :p

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Start saving your money now so you can retire early.

ETA: And don't date the cute blond guy in law school. He's a complete tool.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Experience more and spend less.

Date more people for shorter time periods.

Follow those whims - those opportunities never stop, but life interferes

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Plan to go to college, but keep yourself open about careers.

Try to ENJOY yourself. Crawl out of your damn shell and actually talk to people.

(and I didn't have this problem, but:) If/when you're dating, don't tie yourself down to one person all throughout school. Plan to date around and meet different people. And sex isn't everything. It sure feels like it, but it isn't.

Don't waste so much time on trying to "be alone." Socialize with people. Do fun things. You're only a teenager once. Once you graduate high school, then college, fun days are over. You have to face life and much of it isn't any fun at all.

allen

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
"pay attention in class, study, get great grades, and GO TO COLLEGE so you can get a great paying job and buy a home!!!!" cause umm C's are good and all, and Community College for one semester is good and all, and you can f&ck off and doing nothing is great and all but when you're 32 living in a small apartment watching HGTV in envy, you'll wish you had..."

Date more people for shorter time periods.

Great advice!

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
more advice...

I must argue the above, and also add the argument, as advice to the young-- at least something to think about.

Unfortunately, the advice that college will lead to a better job is misleading. "Some" fields pay well, many pay just as poorly as high school graduates are able to make. An English degree will get you a barista job at
Starbucks. Many HS grads who get jobs with Unions, as Plumbers and Electricians make much more money than your average college graduate they also have far more free time. Also, many people who make C's make more than those who buckled down to work and had no social life. In the end, having connections and friends is more important than getting good grades.

Buying a house is also not all it is hyped to be either. You get stuck in an area, unable to move to follow employment opportunities. Right now people are loosing equity, and having to abandon houses because they can't even sell them for as much as they bought them for. -- I own a house, I am getting rid of it now, and I will never, ever buy another. You totally have to pay much more in taxes, and also home repairs. Even your average house is a money pit.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
I had this question pop up in a first draft of a story, too. I'll give the same answer the character did:

I'd say, "It'll be okay."

Vague, but worth more than gold. Just knowing I made it that far and was happy would be worth it.