PDA

View Full Version : For all adults

SHBueche
06-08-2008, 06:10 PM
IF you were a teen again, what would you tell yourself?

I suppose, starting with myself, I'd say, take it easy, relax, there will be many more (friends? opportunities?) where that came from. Being an adult definitely brings in another perspective.

StoryG27
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I would just be pissed that I was a teen again. I don't want to go back.

But I guess I would tell myself to do what I did before and just stay calm, stay focused, and get through it. Oh hey, I might have wise investment tips too. :D

Mr Flibble
06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't marry the first husband. I'd warn me about a couple of deadbeat boyfriends that sucked my life away too.

Oh, and start writing before you hit thirty!

Don Allen
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't marry the first girl you have sex with. AND GO TO SCHOOL.GO TO AS MUCH SCHOOL AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD< IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT<FIND A WAY>
THEN WHEN YOU'RE THROUGH WITH SCHOOL...GO FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL AND LEARN MORE..... DO THIS UNTIL YOU'RE 30 THEN LIFE CAN BEGIN... i FUCKED OFF SO MUCH THAT i'M STILL PAYING FOR IT AND QUITE FRANKLY WILL NEVER ACHIEVE WHAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE BECAUSE I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL AND PISSED OFF EVERY CHANCE I HAD TO GET AN EDUCATION... THANK YOU FOR THE RANT OPPORTUNITY...

Kathie Freeman
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Love yourself, believe in yourself, go to college and STUDY!

melaniehoo
06-08-2008, 08:10 PM
You'll never have to see the people from high school again.

jennifer75
06-08-2008, 08:15 PM

I suppose, starting with myself, I'd say, take it easy, relax, there will be many more (friends? opportunities?) where that came from. Being an adult definitely brings in another perspective.

"pay attention in class, study, get great grades, and GO TO COLLEGE so you can get a great paying job and buy a home!!!!" cause umm C's are good and all, and Community College for one semester is good and all, and you can f&ck off and doing nothing is great and all but when you're 32 living in a small apartment watching HGTV in envy, you'll wish you had..."

Rabe
06-08-2008, 08:25 PM
You'll never have to see the people from high school again.

Or, in the alternative, you'll get to laugh your ass off at them when you do see how they've not progressed much from high school.

Except the ones who have - and they realize that they should have gotten to know you better back then.

At least that's what I discovered at my 10 year reunion. The popular cheerleader gal hung out with my 'freak friend' and I all night long, realizing just how much more fun we were back in high school and that night. And how we accepted her as an adult instead of expecting her to be the same old person from high school. Then there was the snotty rich kid whose family fell on hard times and realized just what an ass he was in school because of his money. Only when others started treating him the same.

But, the best part of the night, a guys wife (someone that I barely even remembered from high school) saying how nice it was to meet me, since he's talked about me for so long.

I say, let high school go and be the person you are now. And be yourself. It'll make you much happier in the longer run.

Rabe..

Jersey Chick
06-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Enjoy your freedom. Once it's over, it's over.

johnnysannie
06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
If I were a teen again, what advice would I give myself?

Slow down and enjoy those years - don't be in such a rush to be grown-up.

High school will not matter much in the long run of life.

Don't be hard on myself when I lose my virginity; it is not the end of the world after all.

Enjoy those last years living at home with freedom from adult responsibilities like paying all the bills.

kuwisdelu
06-08-2008, 08:51 PM
"You know that thing you did in that church? And with that girl in Chicago? DON'T DO IT, YOU F***ING IDIOT!"

Kalyke
06-08-2008, 08:53 PM
1. It is okay to quit and give up, and even walk away if something is not working out for you. Loyalty is a farce which will hold you back.
2. If your parents are not successful or sane, don't take their advice.
3. Don't settle in or stay in a small town.
4. Student loans are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy.
5. Go to Medical School. Even a foot doctor makes more than a factory worker.
6. Make friends with sane people, and keep up the friendships.
7. Stay physically fit.

kuwisdelu
06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
5. Go to Medical School. Even a foot doctor makes more than a factory worker.

If you like medicine, go to medical school. With all the (pointless) malpractice suits flying around lately, doctors are making less and less, which is really unfortunate. I'd say one of the best amazing-salary-to-time-in-school ratio is to become an actuary.

KTC
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Do it all the same.

JimmyB27
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Don't marry the first girl you have sex with. AND GO TO SCHOOL.GO TO AS MUCH SCHOOL AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD< IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT<FIND A WAY>
THEN WHEN YOU'RE THROUGH WITH SCHOOL...GO FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL AND LEARN MORE..... DO THIS UNTIL YOU'RE 30 THEN LIFE CAN BEGIN... i FUCKED OFF SO MUCH THAT i'M STILL PAYING FOR IT AND QUITE FRANKLY WILL NEVER ACHIEVE WHAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE BECAUSE I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL AND PISSED OFF EVERY CHANCE I HAD TO GET AN EDUCATION... THANK YOU FOR THE RANT OPPORTUNITY...

One of the things I would say is that education isn't all it's cracked up to be - get out earlier and start learning instead.

DWSTXS
06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree with Don. I'd say get more education.

Elodie-Caroline
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I'd take no notice of all the bigots in school and get myself a better education. I wouldn't let the blokes I knew, when I was young, use and abuse me. Come to think of it, I'd hope to have better parents to start with LOL.

Elodie

Disa
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd say... Even though your childhood and teen years suck, once you get out on your own you can make your life as calm and peaceful as you want it to be and create a loving environment with all new people in it :) so hang in there... And go to college anyway, no matter what reasons you think you have for not going :P

Soccer Mom
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Start saving your money now so you can retire early.

ETA: And don't date the cute blond guy in law school. He's a complete tool.

MattW
06-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Experience more and spend less.

Date more people for shorter time periods.

Follow those whims - those opportunities never stop, but life interferes

underthecity
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Plan to go to college, but keep yourself open about careers.

Try to ENJOY yourself. Crawl out of your damn shell and actually talk to people.

(and I didn't have this problem, but:) If/when you're dating, don't tie yourself down to one person all throughout school. Plan to date around and meet different people. And sex isn't everything. It sure feels like it, but it isn't.

Don't waste so much time on trying to "be alone." Socialize with people. Do fun things. You're only a teenager once. Once you graduate high school, then college, fun days are over. You have to face life and much of it isn't any fun at all.

allen

MsK
06-09-2008, 02:43 AM
"pay attention in class, study, get great grades, and GO TO COLLEGE so you can get a great paying job and buy a home!!!!" cause umm C's are good and all, and Community College for one semester is good and all, and you can f&ck off and doing nothing is great and all but when you're 32 living in a small apartment watching HGTV in envy, you'll wish you had..."

Date more people for shorter time periods.

Great advice!

Mandy-Jane
06-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Don't blindly accept everything your parents say. Trust yourself a little more.

Kalyke
06-09-2008, 02:57 AM

I must argue the above, and also add the argument, as advice to the young-- at least something to think about.

Unfortunately, the advice that college will lead to a better job is misleading. "Some" fields pay well, many pay just as poorly as high school graduates are able to make. An English degree will get you a barista job at
Starbucks. Many HS grads who get jobs with Unions, as Plumbers and Electricians make much more money than your average college graduate they also have far more free time. Also, many people who make C's make more than those who buckled down to work and had no social life. In the end, having connections and friends is more important than getting good grades.

Buying a house is also not all it is hyped to be either. You get stuck in an area, unable to move to follow employment opportunities. Right now people are loosing equity, and having to abandon houses because they can't even sell them for as much as they bought them for. -- I own a house, I am getting rid of it now, and I will never, ever buy another. You totally have to pay much more in taxes, and also home repairs. Even your average house is a money pit.

FTJoshua
06-09-2008, 04:49 AM
I had this question pop up in a first draft of a story, too. I'll give the same answer the character did:

I'd say, "It'll be okay."

Vague, but worth more than gold. Just knowing I made it that far and was happy would be worth it.

slcboston
06-09-2008, 06:25 AM
"Pay attention in contract law... and tell the professor what he wants to hear."

(only way to pay off the debt from law school is to actually graduate, otherwise you're @#$%ed...)

StephanieFox
06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I'd choose a college more suited for my personality than the University of Missouri.

soma
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Depends what age I jump back to. If it was myself at, say...

13: "What's happening to you is not okay. Sue. Sue the school district as well as the assistant principal. Contact the media. If your parents won't help you, get a lawyer yourself somehow. This is a witch hunt and you need to put a stop to it. Oh, and don't let anybody send you to private school; that would be avoidance and it's not worth it."

15: "Understand that you are not a fundamentally bad person (you're not Jesus Christ either). Don't let adults dismiss your concerns as typical teenage surliness; in your case, you're not exaggerating. Find a way to get out of private school. If they won't let you out willingly, find a way to get expelled, possibly by running around school property naked and screaming like in that dream you had once. Seriously, at any cost dude. That place is a prison and you definitely do NOT deserve it. Also, psychiatry is not a quack science like you think."

17: "Don't go to college. I know a getting job right away seems scary, but it's better than wasting 4 years of your life going insane and getting no valuable work experience. Don't try to pull that writing crap; you will not be making a living as a novelist at 18, or 20, or 23--believe me, I'm from the future. If you must, go to college in-state and major in something practical, preferably some kind of foreign studies or language that will allow you to get a job abroad when the dollar tanks."

19: "Your instincts about Emerson are right. If you can't transfer to OSU this summer, drop out. Otherwise the next two years will be some kinda shit. Keep your job and start saving. Bush and his generation have been in the process of screwing your generation over for years and you've still got time before it hits."

So yes, I must reiterate Jimmy's and Use Her Name's notes that education--especially college education--is overrated. Any useful learning or experience you get is bogged down into obscurity by useless core requirements and electives, and in many cases your yearly tuition will be twice as much as the annual salary you could hope to make at the jobs your degree will get you.

People tend to think of college as a magic key into affluence and success, but there's no substitute for professional initiative and dedication, which college typically does little for.

underthecity
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
People tend to think of college as a magic key into affluence and success, but there's no substitute for professional initiative and dedication, which college typically does little for.

It's one of those Great Lies that are drilled into you when you first start attending school: finish school, go to college, get a great career. A college degree practically guarantees you a high-paying job. You'll live happily ever after.

No, not necessarily.

As we've all learned after we reached high school age, there are no guarantees in life (unless you're already from a wealthy family. Anyone here like that?). No, you have to work for what you want. And going to college won't guarantee it.

Especially if you major and/or minor in something useless. And a lot of people do.

Since I was very young, I wanted to work in radio. But, after admiring Scotty in Star Trek, I wanted to be an engineer, the guy at the station everyone relied on to keep the station running.

1990 to 1996 I majored in radio/TV engineering with a minor in theater. The theater minor was so I could develop myself more as a person.

I wish I had majored in business or marketing or something useful.

Radio went through a technological shift while I was in college. Radio went from analog to digital. Post 1999 or so, most radio went to all computer networks. Gone were the carts, tape decks, even CD players.

I had no training. No education in computers.

I worked in radio as an assistant engineer from 1997 to 2002 when I was let go. They wanted to hire a full-time IT guy to replace me. That would leave the chief engineer to take care of the physical plant by himself, and the IT guy to maintain the network.

I was let go.

Now, with my technical background--not because of my education--I wire big machines. I'm not even a full-time employee. Just a "contractor," a glorified temp. I make decent money, but it's not what I want to do.

When I'm book signings I'm often asked if I went to school to be a writer. No, I always say, I learned writing as I went.

If I had to do it all over again, radio would not be the way to go for me.

OTOH, when I was in college I worked at the campus radio station. All student-run, but we treated it like a real radio station. I will admit that the time I spent there was among the happiest of my life. We all had so much fun, and ten years later, some of us still hang out.

allen

jannawrites
06-09-2008, 11:52 PM

I'd say, "You worry too much. You put too much thought into - and care too much about - what other people think about you. Be confident, and be yourself."