The house is burning all around you...

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
...and you have time to take one recipe from your recipe box. Which one would it be?

Here's mine:

Bourbon Pecan Chicken

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 cup clarified butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
DIRECTIONS

Stir together the pecans, bread crumbs, and 2 tablespoons of clarified butter. Spread the mixture out on a plate. Press the chicken breasts into the mixture to coat on both sides. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of clarified butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the coated chicken breasts in the pan, and fry on both sides until nicely browned and chicken meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
In a small saucepan, whisk together the Dijon mustard, brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, then remove from the burner, and whisk in the 1/2 cup of unsalted butter one piece at a time. Do not return to the heat.

Arrange the chicken breasts on a large serving plate. Pour the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with green onion.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
There's only one recipe I can think of that I don't have memorized or at least couldn't figure it out on my own, because it has so many ingredients. It's Dunkley's Famous Macaroni Salad, that I got from the Food Network. But I've made so many notes and changes to the recipe in the 5 years that I've been making it, I really need the page to make the salad. It's so good that people ask me specifically to bring this dish to picnics. I eat it and I'm not even a big Pasta Salad fan.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I'm not a baker but these cookies get requested by the kids in my neighborhood all the time. So, this would be the recipe I would save.

(Cue: Ahhh... isn't that sweet.)

SPICED MOLASSES COOKIES​

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 large eggs, PLUS one egg yolk

Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.

In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter, shortening, and sugar until well creamed. Beat in molasses. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time. Dough will be quite stiff.

Pour a small amount of sugar in a small bowl for rolling on formed cookies.

Form dough into 2 ½-3 inch balls, and then roll in sugar. Place 6 balls on a baking sheet. Flatten each ball by 1/3 using the back of a measuring cup.

Bake cookies in batches in middle of the oven 14 minutes or until puffed and golden around the edges. (Cookies should be soft.) Allow cookies to cool for 30 seconds on baking sheet, and then transfer using a large metal spatula to cooling racks.

Makes approximately 30-33 large cookies. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
I keep all and I do mean all of my recipes in my head, oh wait...what recipes? I eyeball everything. But if I did keep them someplace where the could be destroyed, it would be my banana bread. Everybody seems to love the stuff (I do too!).

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
I'll have to give that macaroni salad a go next time I potluck. And those cookies sound great. My kids love gingersnaps, so I'll be trying these too! Keep the recipes coming!

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
You asked for it...straight out of my head to your computer screen.

Banana Bread

2 cups sifted flour (sift damn it, it won't kill you!)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
Sift (yes again!) all these together into a small bowl and set aside.

2 tablespoons butter/margarine
1 cup brown sugar (don't pack it!)
Cream these together, preferably with a wooden spoon (it's good muscle builder!). Then add
1 egg
and mix well. Add
1/2 cup orange juice
3 ripe (brown skinned) bananas, mashed
Stir well to combine. Add flour mixture and mix until just blended. Pour into a greased loaf pan and allow to rest for 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350. Bake for half an hour to an hour (you'll smell it when it's close. The aroma is heavenly!).

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I searched for twenty years to find a recipe for hot rolls that was even remotely like my mother's... the one I found in an old Southern Cooking recipe compilation for 1995 was right on the money. So I'd have to grab that book.