I am in my own horror movie...

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Last week I wrote about my sh*tty day. Well the entire week has been a horror show..

My beagle with the diarherra just kept getting worse. I called the vet and told him I thought she had worms. This seemed logical to me since the new owner of the foster dog I was taking care of... emailed me to tell me that Jellie had hook worms..

My vet said he doubted if that was the cause of my dogs problem, since the flea/tick preventative she is on stops hookworms..

Well I had a big BBQ at my house on Sunday.. and prior to that event all I did was clean up the mess from the beagle..

I was exhausted on Monday and on Tuesday took a "stool" although it was more like water... sample to the vet.. Well she has whipworms...
And I had to deworm all four dogs..

But this is my horror story... I live on 5 acres.... and my dogs are never tied up... they run around my yard a 2 acre area.. Well the vet said my soil will be contaminated with whipworms for 2 years, and that there is nothing that kills the eggs..

I've been going all over the yard and digging up all the soil around the dog waste... and it looks like I am living on the moon. I don't want my dogs to get re infected with this parasite... and I am soo stressed... I don't think I can go through another week cleaning up stinky bloody diaherra. Last night the beagle went in her crate again... and at 2 in the morning I was cleaning it. Only to wake up at 6 to start the whole process all over... I take her outside and when I bring her in she still goes.. I am absolutely frustrated...

Has anyone else ever have a dog with whip worms??/

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had some advice to give, but no. Only *HUGS*

So sorry that this happened, and that you have no way of preventing it for TWO YEARS!!! I hope someone here has some advice for you.

Good luck!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, my blue heeler/ border collie mix dog had it when she was about two years old. I had her when I was a teen, and I lived in the same type of place with acres of land, except we didn't have a fence. We had three other dogs, but thank goodness none of the others were infected, all were medicated, and we kept them medicated for prevention there after. Of course, this was the same dog who almost died of Parvo. She had the worst luck.

I feel for you!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Are whipworms a health hazard to people?

There have been reports of people being infected with T. vulpis.

Be afraid safe, Joyce.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this would help, but until last year I kept lots (LOTS) of poultry, and had a lot of USA-based friends with poultry and the accompanying worm problems.

Many of them used something called (I think) diatomaceous earth to control worms in their livestock and on their land, and said it was pretty wonderful stuff. I have never used it, and don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try--I'm hazy on its use, but think that the principle is that this earth contains lots of microscopic, sharp bits which kill off the parasites, while remaining safe for the host animal as they're too tiny to affect them.

You can add it to feed, sprinkle it over your soil, all sorts. Might be worth finding out about.

There's a very nice, friendly guineafowl message board at http://www.guineas.com/anyboard9/forum/index.html (beware other boards with similar addresses which are not so approachable), where you could ask about it: I think some people there use it, but if not I bet they can send you somewhere to find out. I hope it helps.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Joyce i wish you and the doggies all the best. the yard thing i don't know--it there isn't a way to kill the worms with insecticide--try bleach or salt or lemon juice or dish soap---won't help your lawn but a least you won't have to dig it up. May be bring in some fresh sterile potting soil cover a good area and try to encourage your babies to go there---or maybe call an exterminator and get a professional to do it--maybe they have something to the worms without harming your doggies--you have my best wishes:Hug2:
Last week I wrote about my sh*tty day. Well the entire week has been a horror show..

My beagle with the diarherra just kept getting worse. I called the vet and told him I thought she had worms. This seemed logical to me since the new owner of the foster dog I was taking care of... emailed me to tell me that Jellie had hook worms..

My vet said he doubted if that was the cause of my dogs problem, since the flea/tick preventative she is on stops hookworms..

Well I had a big BBQ at my house on Sunday.. and prior to that event all I did was clean up the mess from the beagle..

I was exhausted on Monday and on Tuesday took a "stool" although it was more like water... sample to the vet.. Well she has whipworms...
And I had to deworm all four dogs..

But this is my horror story... I live on 5 acres.... and my dogs are never tied up... they run around my yard a 2 acre area.. Well the vet said my soil will be contaminated with whipworms for 2 years, and that there is nothing that kills the eggs..

I've been going all over the yard and digging up all the soil around the dog waste... and it looks like I am living on the moon. I don't want my dogs to get re infected with this parasite... and I am soo stressed... I don't think I can go through another week cleaning up stinky bloody diaherra. Last night the beagle went in her crate again... and at 2 in the morning I was cleaning it. Only to wake up at 6 to start the whole process all over... I take her outside and when I bring her in she still goes.. I am absolutely frustrated...

Has anyone else ever have a dog with whip worms??/

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an article on it, I don't know if it will help, we live in the desert so we don't have whip worms, they need the moisture.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=778

Perhaps this will be your solution so you don't run yourself ragged.

It is easy to get rid of Whipworms. Just give any effective oral wormer, but you have to be careful what you use. Most over-the-counter wormers won't touch them. We use fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur. This is a powder wormer that must be given once a day for three days. The problem is the eggs. You have to clean, clean, clean. It is best to replace all old toys and bones and other items that the dog likes to chew on. If your dog is kenneled or tied out, it needs to be moved to new ground to get away from the eggs. What if you can't move the pen? In that case you need to administer a low level wormer everyday to prevent reinfestation. I like to use Filaribits Plus a once-a-day heartworm preventative that also kills Hookworms, Roundworms and Whipworms. Many of my patients that live in dirt-run kennels take Filaribits Plus to eliminate the reinfection problem from the worm eggs or larva in the soil.

kg_crow

Please hold your applause
Registered
Reaction score
This only proves my contention that the best pets are made of ceramic.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this would help, but until last year I kept lots (LOTS) of poultry, and had a lot of USA-based friends with poultry and the accompanying worm problems.

Many of them used something called (I think) diatomaceous earth to control worms in their livestock and on their land, and said it was pretty wonderful stuff. I have never used it, and don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try--I'm hazy on its use, but think that the principle is that this earth contains lots of microscopic, sharp bits which kill off the parasites, while remaining safe for the host animal as they're too tiny to affect them.

You can add it to feed, sprinkle it over your soil, all sorts. Might be worth finding out about.

There's a very nice, friendly guineafowl message board at http://www.guineas.com/anyboard9/forum/index.html (beware other boards with similar addresses which are not so approachable), where you could ask about it: I think some people there use it, but if not I bet they can send you somewhere to find out. I hope it helps.

Thanks... I'll see if I can find anything out...

BTW it's the eggs that can live in the soil for years... not the worms themselves..

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Joyce i wish you and the doggies all the best. the yard thing i don't know--it there isn't a way to kill the worms with insecticide--try bleach or salt or lemon juice or dish soap---won't help your lawn but a least you won't have to dig it up. May be bring in some fresh sterile potting soil cover a good area and try to encourage your babies to go there---or maybe call an exterminator and get a professional to do it--maybe they have something to the worms without harming your doggies--you have my best wishes:Hug2:

Thanks DL...

One good thing... is I dug up a lot of the area that dogs used to go, prior to the whipworm thing.. and put in a brick walkway and brick flower box. I have thought about pouring bleach on the spots... and even thought about gasoline... It isn't the worms themselves it's the eggs... so I don't know what kind of protective covering they have....

I did have my husband get some hardpack to fill all the ruts in the driveway where puddles gather..

Thanks again
joyce

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry that happened, Joyce. Hope things will be way better for you all very soon. Good vibes & prayers are headed your way. :Hug2: Hang in, there.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Thanks DL...

One good thing... is I dug up a lot of the area that dogs used to go, prior to the whipworm thing.. and put in a brick walkway and brick flower box. I have thought about pouring bleach on the spots... and even thought about gasoline... It isn't the worms themselves it's the eggs... so I don't know what kind of protective covering they have....

I did have my husband get some hardpack to fill all the ruts in the driveway where puddles gather..

Thanks again
joyce

Whoa, did you just say that you built a BRICK WALKWAY? Damn. I can barely put Ikea bookcases together.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, did you just say that you built a BRICK WALKWAY? Damn. I can barely put Ikea bookcases together.

Hi Blondchen

It is a project I had wanted to do for three years.. Just for the record, it was not a long walkway... probably 2.5 by 4 feet from the driveway to the side porch. Although it was very physical.... digging the ground up, and laying the brick... it was mentally not to hard. Probably easier than putting the bookcase together... I did them before. :)

I was going to post the site where I got the info from... but I can't find it.. They had lots of pictures... easier to follow... :)

The hardest part was the wall... especially getting the bricks... so it didn't wave..

Ask.com has great directions for projects.. for anyone interested.