Should I propose a column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of advice. Or a swift kick in the pants, I suppose you could take your pick.

Because this ties in later, I'll tell you I already write a quarterly column with motherhood themes, and it's distributed to our county.

We live in a lake community that has its own monthly publication. My best friend and mom have both said, "Get on it. You should pitch a column to that paper." Part of me loves the idea, since no one else writes one (yet), and it'd be a great thing to add to my resume.

The problem is, I'm not sure of the voice and/or platform I'd use. My Mom Voice doesn't fit, especially since anyone reading the lake paper would (I hope) already read the county paper. But though I'm sure others do it, I'm not 100% certain I could base a column around general "lake living."

But then again, maybe I'm just doubting myself. I'm a writer. I should be able to write whatever I put my mind to, right? Should I bite the bullet and propose a column?

I'm asking for your opinions. I just need to get some feedback and think it through.

Please let me know what you think. And thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Of course I'm going to tell you to go ahead and propose the column. While you don't want to write in your "mommy voice", I think the fact that the subject matter will be different will alter it enough that readers will feel like they're getting different parts of you.

And why can't you write a lake living column? You live on a lake, right? Your blog has already touched on some of the benefits, so I'm sure you can come up with more ideas from there.

Good luck!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
But then again, maybe I'm just doubting myself. I'm a writer. I should be able to write whatever I put my mind to, right? Should I bite the bullet and propose a column?
Absolutely pitch it. I suspect that you are indeed just doubting yourself and that a voice would come through if you could break through that and go for it.

I think it could be a very rewarding experience. I write for a local mag, and although most of the work is advertorial, I do some articles based on my blog about life here in Celebration. They really strike a cord with people in town, and I've gotten such wonderful compliments. Think about what would strike a chord in the people you know and go from there. What would they relate to? Where do the common experiences lie? What can you look at with a wry wit? Try on some approaches and see which one feels most natural.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, gang! This is both a help and a boost.

DWS, help a girl out. What do you mean by Citizen A?

ETA: Oh, do you mean anonymously?

Last edited:

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Thanks, gang! This is both a help and a boost.

DWS, help a girl out. What do you mean by Citizen A?

Just a name for the column. You said it wasn't Mom related, and I was under the impression that it would be a column relating to community issues, and Concerned Citizen sounds too...blah...and Citizen A was just my feeble attempt to 'name' the column. As if you were not quite a community activist, but speaking for the community at large.

Citizen A

Citizen X

Oh well, now you can see why I'm not a journalist.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Aha! I see what you mean. And you didn't explain it badly, I understood it badly. :tongue

You do bring up a good point, though, in that I should come up with some potential names. Titles are fun (and reasonably easy) for me. Maybe if I come up with some good options I can feel my way in to the column itself. If that makes sense. Ya know?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Aha! I see what you mean. And you didn't explain it badly, I understood it badly. :tongue

You do bring up a good point, though, in that I should come up with some potential names. Titles are fun (and reasonably easy) for me. Maybe if I come up with some good options I can feel my way in to the column itself. If that makes sense. Ya know?

Yeah, you can be the superhero roving reporter, bringing truth, justice and the american way to your community.

Citizen Femme du Justice!

LOL

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
My current column is called Every Mom's Column. Kind of like you said, to appeal to the audience as a whole. I wanted to convey in the title that it would be a relatable column, something the reading moms could immediately connect with. I'll have to think along those lines for this.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
My current column is called Every Mom's Column. Kind of like you said, to appeal to the audience as a whole. I wanted to convey in the title that it would be a relatable column, something the reading moms could immediately connect with. I'll have to think along those lines for this.

Citizen Parentus?

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
The Voice of the Lake? Go out and talk to the folks, find out what they are thinking, doing, worried about, happy about. Little vignettes. Somebody needs help? Community project good or bad? All kinds of things are out there, and you could do it, be the voice. Good luck.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I go up to Canada I look forward to reading the back issues of 'Cottage Life.' They've been publishing for years, and all their articles revolve around the same thing - how cool is it to live on a lake! It's so much fun to sit on the dock reading an article about how much fun it is to sit on the dock reading. They might be worth checking out for ideas.

You know what I'm going to say, Janna. Go for it! Good luck!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I said 'Lady of the Lake' because of a local urban legend regarding a woman who haunts a lake near Dallas.

Now I realize that this urban legend is widespread, and not just connected to the Dallas area.

Not to mention the Lady of the Lake in Aurthurian legend.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So here's an excerpt from my proposal letter, to give you the column's purpose and my tentative title. Feedback?

...Knowing the News has a large readership, and because I believe a lake living-themed column would really resound within the community, I’d like to suggest the creation of one. Such a column would consist of relatable anecdotes and a personable, friendly look at lake life. My proposed, tentative title is Life at the Lake...

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Make absolutely sure they know you're offering to do the column instead of simply suggesting it for someone else. It would be bad if they liked the idea, but gave the assignment to another writer. It might be good to include a sample column.

Status
Not open for further replies.