PDA

View Full Version : I hope this isn't a bad question, but...

WinterDusk14
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm quite sure that this was asked before, and I just couldn't find it. Nor am sure if this is the right place to post this but...

How does the Agent charge fees? I know they charge up to 15% of your work, and, I believe even royalties? And that they won't ask you for the fee straight at your face, rather, would be deducted from the check? Anyway, with those aside, are there other fees you have or will have to pay later on?

waylander
06-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Your publisher pays your agent, your agent pays you after deducting their 15% and itemised expenses. The expenses could include postage/courier services, purchase of copies of the book to send to foreign language publishers. It should not include the normal costs of doing business e.g. phonecalls, stationery

Gary Clarke
06-09-2008, 01:31 AM
My agent doesn't charge expenses. Itemised or otherwise.

IceCreamEmpress
06-09-2008, 02:04 AM
WinterDusk14, what waylander said is the most common practice. Some agents do ask clients to pay itemized expenses quarterly or semiannually, but the majority of agents take it out of royalty and advance payments.

So if you got an advance of $10,000, the publisher would pay that money to the agent; the agent would take out their 15% fee ($1,500) and your itemized expenses (usually not more than $100) and then send you a check for the balance of, say, $8,400.

My agent doesn't charge expenses. Itemised or otherwise.

Ah! That explains why she wanted you to order the books for the foreign rights sales, then.

Most agents do that themselves, then include the cost for that in the expenses they bill to the client. If your agent isn't doing expenses otherwise, then it makes perfect sense for her to do it that way.

Gary Clarke
06-09-2008, 03:11 AM
I don't have to order the books either, if you recall I had misunderstood the wording :0D It turned out that that particular clause was saying that if Agent needed to order more then the amount she thought she'd need (10 copies I think) she'd come and tell me, ask if that was ok ( coz I'd be paying for them) and then order them.

So far I haven't had to pay for anything though, just the straight percentage.

Cathy C
06-09-2008, 03:35 AM
We pay postage to send to foreign agents, for wire transfer fees (which is our preferred method to get royalties) and for overnight deliveries. The agent gets copies of the books from the publisher. That's all they charge to us---which come out only when money arrives in their office.

IceCreamEmpress
06-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think I've been charged more than a total of $100 on the itemized expenses, ever. It's really nothing to worry about.

I don't have to order the books either, if you recall I had misunderstood the wording :0D It turned out that that particular clause was saying that if Agent needed to order more then the amount she thought she'd need (10 copies I think) she'd come and tell me, ask if that was ok ( coz I'd be paying for them) and then order them.

Ah! I must have missed that part of the thread. Well, that makes even more sense; totally standard practice, just a miscommunication or whatever.