PDA

View Full Version : That's it. I am never submitting my work anymore.

BlueLucario
06-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I was minding my own business, until I recieved an email my story on this kid's myspace. (Yes, teenagers and myspace.) I looked at his page and there was a link to the whole story. And you know what else, there were so many compliments and praises on it, I was hurt. That bastard is taking credit for my work. I've worked on this story for seven months, and some other teenager is going plagarize it to boost his ego(Teenagers these days.). I looked at his picture and recognized that it was Eric, a freshman from my school. I was almost okay with it. I'll just email him and ask him nicely to remove the link. So I did, nicely. No response. And that day, I stopped adding stuff on google.

The next day, there were more comments on it like.

"Hey, where's da update?"
"When are you going to add more?"
"When are you going to write the lesbian sex scene?"

That last one made me boil. And it also made me cry. I emailed him again, and yeah I got a response.

i dont kno wut you talkin about. i didnt plagarize anything. so f*ck off.

I said.

I'm asking you to remove the link and I'm asking you nicely. I don't appreciate my work being posted without my permission, especially on myspace. You're taking credit for something you didn't write, and I don't like that. If you want me to leave you alone, remove the link from your profile, and confess to everyone that you plagarized it. I can sue you for that, Eric. I know where you live. I go to your school.

i wrote dat. im not deletin the link. fuk off b4 i block you

I responded.

You know what? If you're not going to remove the link, fine. I'm tired, maybe Tom has the energy to deal with you. You're not worth mine.

Then I came back, to see if he really did remove the link. Now, he wrote a sex scene using MY characters, my MC gets molested, and I was likt that's it. I went to campus the next moring.(I graduated. But it was the underclassman's last day) I had to wait outside for him. When eric passed by with his little freshman friends. I shoved him off his bike, and got into a big verbal fight with him. I told him who I was, the author. Then there were cussing and I had a meltdown. I grabbed his bike and went to the canal nearby, having fantasies of throwing it in there. I was like "You know what? It's not worth it." I shoved the bike handles into his groin and left. Crying.
I was really pissed. I thought I'd feel better by coming here and critting other people's work. It always feels good to help people out. But it didn't help much.

I was having a really bad day yesterday. That was the worst day of my life. Then I realized that I'm to blame for this. If I didn't post my link for the public to look at. (Which was it's original purpose.) This wouldn't have happened. :( I did something really stupid that I shouldn't have done.

Now, I now vowed to never post my work online again. i'd love to have readers and fans, but right now isn't the time. I'm going to keep writing, and hopefully be finished by the time I start.

I'm not asking for agreements or sympathy or anything like that. It just goes to show how big of a fool I was.

I still want to participate in the monthly challenges. :) It's fun.

James81
06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Blue, get you a word processor and leave your work off the internet until you are finished.

Then if you want Beta comments, make sure it's people you can reasonably trust.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, though, but I can remember cringing when I saw that your work is right out there in your sig for anybody to get a hold of.

James81
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
But, hey, on the PLUS side, the people LOVED your work. :D

BlueLucario
06-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I know! :). But it wasn't fair that someone was taking credit for it.

Toothpaste
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
No it wasn't. I think you have learned a valuable lesson (doesn't it suck when we have to learn lessons the hard way?). Write for yourself, as James suggested get some beta readers. Your time in the sun will come. Be patient.

One little comment, hon, resorting to violence is really not the answer. I"m glad you didn't throw the bike in the canal, but you shouldn't have pushed the guy off his bike. Aside from "violence doesn't solve anything" - and seriously, it does not work -, if he had been seriously hurt, you saying "But he stole something I wrote" as a defense wouldn't hold up. You could get in serious trouble.

Mel
06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Life lessons are hard, Blue. Best we can do is learn from them and move on. Not always easy, I admit. Look at it this way, you still have lots of work to do on your novel and when you finish it the story won't be anything like what it is now.

icerose
06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear that Blue, but don't post anything for anyone in the public to see as a whole without copyrighting it first. That way you have that to back you up, rather than his word agaist yours.

Hope you get out of your funk and are able to move on.

Elodie-Caroline
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Blue, I came something near to this last June (07). I had finished and polished my very first novel; I was so chuffed with myself, I wanted people to read it. I put a posting onto the forum, of another site (not writers) I belong to, to ask for beta-readers. I had great comments etc., about my work and was really pleased with myself.
Then on this site, there was a big clean up last September, and a lot of very prominent members were deleted for their antisocial behaviour. I was friends with a lot of these people, but I am also a very good friend of the site owner. It came down to taking sides, a lot of people wanted the deleted members reinstated, a lot more didn't. I stuck up for the site and the manager. Then all hell broke loose and I found out that some of the beta readers had been passing my work around and they were slagging me and my work off on a private google group. I was pretty upset, a whole year's work wasted, they could do anything with it and I wouldn't know.

It taught me a lesson; be careful what you do with your work, but it also made me determined to do something else with it that couldn't be passed around. So I changed parts of it and wrote a sequel. After that, I was going to change the first half of the original story. I started to do that this March, but it turned out as a whole new story with different characters and plots. So, not all was lost and I am very happy with my new (nearly finished) work.
Take heart, if I can change something because of other people's nastiness, and make something new and brilliant out of it, then so can you.

Elodie

NeuroFizz
Write a plagiarizing jerk-off into the story you post online. Make the character an unmistakably clear caricature of the young man who is lifting your work. Have him receive praise for his (lifted) work on the internet. Have the offended character in your story contact the young man's instructors in school and alert them to his penchant for passing off the work of others as his own. See how the real person responds. You are writing fiction in this case so there can be no legal issues with what you write.

Or...just finish off your on-line story by writing:

And when he (she) awakened, he (she) realized it was all a dream.

veinglory
One single notice to plagiarists is enough to see if they will back down. Next send a notice to myspace with reasonable evidence that the work is yours and get his page killed. Then move on. I have had work lifted from time to time and always found the blog or forum host co-operative, although it may take a while. Even file sharing sites will just delete the plagiarist's listing about half the time.

C.bronco
06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I have proof of authorship on my blog: all of the entries are dated. In addition, I put a lot of AW folks in it.

BlueLucario
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Write a plagiarizing jerk-off into the story you post online. Make the character an unmistakably clear caricature of the young man who is lifting your work. Have him receive praise for his (lifted) work on the internet. Have the offended character in your story contact the young man's instructors in school and alert them to his penchant for passing off the work of others as his own. See how the real person responds. You are writing fiction in this case so there can be no legal issues with what you write.

I was told that this was illegal. THat's why there are caveats in the books. But I was able to write something out of my pain.

Birol
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Blue, I'm bothered by the fact that you resorted to violence to resolve this situation. While I know you were frustrated and angry, it is important -- vital -- that you learn to exercise some degree of self-control. For starters, you are 18 and a high school graduate. You are an adult. The person in question is a Freshman in high school. So, what approximately 14? A minor. A child. Despite a less than 4 year age difference, you are still obligated, as an adult and his senior, to help him learn right from wrong and show him the correct way of being. Violence is not the way to do that.

Your own post indicates you knew the correct action to take after you contacted him and he refused to yield: Report the MySpace authorities. Report the plagiarism. Use Tom.

Yet you consciously chose to follow a different path. You consciously chose to attack this young man, this child, your junior.

That's not right, Blue. You're out of high school. You graduated. You survived. I promise you, it only gets better from this point forward. High school is not the golden years of life; those come afterwards. But you have to be able to move beyond high school, beyond the schoolyard, in order to best enjoy them.

Kitrianna
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Gah, you poor thing! Your own fault or not, no one deserves to live through that, but as others have said at least people liked your work and that's a good thing! Just remember No one can take from you that which you refuse to give up.

BlueLucario
06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Yet you consciously chose to follow a different path. You consciously chose to attack this young man, this child, your junior.

That's not right, Blue. You're out of high school. You graduated. You survived. I promise you, it only gets better from this point forward. High school is not the golden years of life; those come afterwards. But you have to be able to move beyond high school, beyond the schoolyard, in order to best enjoy them.

I know. Out of anger, I only stooped down to their level, and not to generalize but the freshman have a really bad reputation at my school. Like, pulling off license plates off the teacher's cars, supergluing pennies on the keyholes of almost every car on the student parking lot. They superglued the toilet seats, causing the school to close half of all the bathrooms on campus, which pissed everyone else off. That doesn't excuse me from lashing out at that kid. I know it was wrong. :(

James81
06-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I know. Out of anger, I only stooped down to their level, and not to generalize but the freshman have a really bad reputation at my school. Like, pulling off license plates off the teacher's cars, supergluing pennies on the keyholes of almost every car on the student parking lot. They superglued the toilet seats, causing the school to close half of all the bathrooms on campus, which pissed everyone else off. That doesn't excuse me from lashing out at that kid. I know it was wrong. :(

I personally laud you for it. Sometimes the only language people speak is violence. :D

Meh, you're human, you lashed out in anger...it's understandable.

Birol
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Meh, you're human, you lashed out in anger...it's understandable.

No. It's not. She is an adult, James, and that means no longer giving into childish temper tantrums and excesses of emotion. It means exhibiting some level of self-control. It is never okay to lash out in anger, especially at a child.

If you know it was wrong, then why did you do it? Why did you not take a deep breath and walk away? What if he had been, or is, seriously hurt? Did you pause to think of the repercussions of your actions? Did you try to calm yourself down? Did you do anything other than wait for him in a location where you knew he would be -- a premeditated act -- and resort to a physical reaction?

I know you were angry, Blue. I know you were frustrated. But as an adult, you must be able to deal with the emotions without lashing out in anger. You must be able to exhibit some form of self-control over yourself.

And, remember, it is never, ever acceptable to hit or otherwise harm a child. You're an adult now. You absolutely, positively cannot physically harm a child under any circumstances, regardless of what he may or may not have done, regardless of his reputation, regardless of his generation's reputation.

That is never, ever acceptable, Blue.

James81
06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
No. It's not. She is an adult, James, and that means no longer giving into childish temper tantrums and excesses of emotion. It means exhibiting some level of self-control. It is never okay to lash out in anger, especially at a child.

I didn't say it was ok. I said it was "understandable".

Big difference.

Birol
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
And I don't think it is either understandable or okay.

stormie
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Blue, you learned the hard way. And yeah, you're considered an adult now and can get in a lot of trouble for hurting a minor. Or hurting anyone, for that matter.

One more thing: don't hand out your work in hardcopy, either. I had a well-meaning relative ask if she could have copies of one of my not-yet-published writings because she loved the story so much and wanted to show her friends. I declined. Best to keep your WIPs to yourself, or in the SYW forum here.

James81
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
And I don't think it is either understandable or okay.

Different strokes, I suppose. :)

BlueLucario
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for reminding me I'm still an adult. :( Would I still be in trouble if he attacked me first? (Not that he did.)

James81
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for reminding me I'm still an adult. :( Would I still be in trouble if he attacked me first? (Not that he did.)

You're a girl, right?

I don't think any guy is going to willfully admit to being attacked by a girl. Not at your ages anyway.

stormie
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
His parents could. He's a minor.

James81
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
His parents could. He's a minor.

Good point.

Ken
06-06-2008, 09:30 PM
"shoving the handles of a bike into somebody’s temples" could kill them.
That's a very vulnerable spot on the human body,
and I suppose Blue knew that.
Scary sh*t.

CaroGirl
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Knocking someone off his bike before you begin a conversation with him generally sets a bad tone. Ending the confrontation by bashing him in the temples with his handlebars sets you up for potential jail time.

Granted, I wouldn't plagiarize anyone's work, but if someone did any of that to me, I'd be scared witless.

DamaNegra
06-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Granted, I wouldn't plagiarize anyone's work, but if someone did any of that to me, I'd be scared witless.

Which is what this kid needed, anyway. So call me immature, call me childish and stupid, but sometimes the only way to get through to people (and, from what Blue says, this 'child' obviously has serious issues) is to scare the shit out of them. Blue tried to confront him in a civil manner and it didn't work. So maybe shoving the handles into his temples was way over the top, but scaring the shit out of him was definitely not.

benbradley
06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
DCMA Takedown Notice. Look it up. Figure out what it is. There are example letters and stuff on the InterWeb thingie. Send it to Myspace, maybe send it to his parents (who would be named in the lawsuit along with Myspace if your writing weren't promptly removed). They should be told he's got a myspace page, and is passing off someone else's writings as his own.

The law is on your side on this (or was until you ...).

You'd better be able to show that any actions you took were in self defense.

For the average 14 year old hitting me, I think giggling and saying "Your mother wears army boots" would be an acceptable response. But then I'm a pretty big guy (well, physically, anyway).

Fraulein
06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I know how you feel Blue.

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery." Remember, the kid is only 14. He probably just wants his friends to think he's cool. It should all be over after he removes the story from his Myspace page.

My roommate did a knock-off of one of my art pieces a few years ago. I had taken vintage magazines images and plastered them to canvas with Hodge Podge glue, and the background had stripes because I had pulled off pieces of tape underneath the painted area. So... My roommate painted her table set with the same tape technique. Mine was better. ;) Oh well.

Fraulein
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Also, I have/had a friend who would use my lingo, because he thought it was cute. Stuff like: K?, silly ____, shut up, and a few other things that I can't remember right now. Well, it made me really angry when he started using the lingo on a different forum even though he had been ignoring me for a couple of weeks. Basically, he was using my "words" without my knowledge.

Like I said, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery."

MelodyO
06-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Blue, with a comeback like

i wrote dat. I'm not deletin the link. fuk off b4 i block you

I can't imagine anyone believing they wrote your story. Also, I can only guess how bad the added-on chapter was! Take comfort in that, at least.

BlueLucario
06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
"shoving the handles of a bike into somebody’s temples" could kill them.
That's a very vulnerable spot on the human body,
and I suppose Blue knew that.
Scary sh*t.

It was until now that it felt so good. I didn't know it was fatal. I read that men got hit in the crotch at least once in their lifetime. I've always wanted to do that out of revenge.

Birol
06-07-2008, 12:29 AM
It was until now that it felt so good. I didn't know it was fatal.

Blue, ANY blow to the head could be fatal. The brain is a vital organ that's just not that well protected.

I read that men got hit in the crotch at least once in their lifetime. I've always wanted to do that out of revenge.

This desire to inflict pain is what's so worrisome, Blue. It's wrong to hurt others. Wrong. Why would you want to cause someone physical harm? Who do you want revenge against? Why do you want revenge?

BlueLucario
06-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Blue, ANY blow to the head could be fatal. The brain is a vital organ that's just not that well protected.

?

Not the head, the crotch.

Birol
06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Blue, you said that you hit him in the temples. Those are on the side of the head, near the front. If you hit him in the crotch instead, did you mean you hit him in the balls?

TerzaRima
06-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Would I still be in trouble if he attacked me first?

I know what happened to you was unfair and feels painful, but yes, you probably would be in big trouble. Parents of bratty, rude kids are generally very defensive about the things their little angels do; they like to yell about lawsuits and things like that.

Blue, you can't go around hitting others, full stop. I may have said this before, but are there any adults in your life you can parse social situations with before you go all medieval on people?

BlueLucario
06-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Blue, you said that you hit him in the temples. Those are on the side of the head, near the front. If you hit him in the crotch instead, did you mean you hit him in the balls?

Yes. That's it. :(

Ken
06-07-2008, 12:58 AM
It was until now that it felt so good. I didn't know it was fatal.

so let me get this straight, Blue. When you slammed the handlebars into the kid's temple you didn't know that could be fatal, but now that you do know it could've been you feel really good about that?

I really hope I am misunderstanding you.

JoNightshade
06-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Let's not all pile on Blue here, she knows what she did was wrong.

Blue, you may be upset right now but let's think about this. The dude who stole your story doesn't even have the whole thing. (Since you said his friends were asking for updates.) So now you know not to post any more of that or any other story on the internet. This dude can't write AT ALL, which means there is no chance he could ever get this published or anything. This may have gotten him a popularity boost with his own little buddies, but that's what... like five people? Adults are not going to believe he wrote it. Nobody is. You can also contact MySpace and try to get his page deleted. But no matter what, your writing is still yours. So in the big picture, this is NOT a big deal.

tjwriter
06-07-2008, 01:01 AM

Yes. That's it. :(

so let me get this straight, Blue. When you slammed the handlebars into the kid's temple you didn't know that could be fatal, but now that you do know it could've been you feel really good about that?

I really hope I am misunderstanding you.

It was the balls, anis. Blue didn't get the anatomy correct.

Old Hack
06-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Blue, listen to Birol. She's right. Don't hit people. No matter what people do, or say, just don't get involved in violence. It's not worth it.

There are reasonable, lawful ways of dealing with this: get his pages taken down, as has already been discussed. Talk to the staff at the school so that they know he's plagiarised you (have you put it up here on SYW? If so, you could point that out to them as proof). Just don't get into fights, or any sort of violence. It's dangerous, and beneath you. You're a writer, right? So use your best weapon--words.

soleary
06-07-2008, 01:05 AM
channeling John Lennon

"All we are saying, is give peach a chance ...."

Sorry for the hardship, but hope that you'll find peace better for your psyche in the future.

Kalyke
06-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Well now, cant he get you for assault and he had witnesses? Word of caution, never use physical violence. I pitched a creepy kid into the side of a building once and nearly got sent "up the river." Even getting mad, yelling, and throwing things can be seen as assault. Okay?

I have only ever put 2 stories on the internet. I really feel terribly vulnerable when they are up. I also don't like it when no one reads them. If it was a writing class, they'd read the stories. It makes me sad because the stories are not bad. I would rather just collect them and if I am ever a big author, I will have some short stories to sell.

BlueLucario
06-07-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry guys. That wasn't the temples, it was the groin. I'm sorry to have gotten the anatomy wrong.

It felt good for a while.

At least I can take my emotions out on my own writing.

Birol
06-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-07-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm thinkin' this one's about run its course. We've all learned violence doesn't solve anything, often gets us in more trouble, and there are legal - very satisfying ways to settle wrongs done to us; and we've learned some helpful anatomy. It's a good day.