I'm taking today off, damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
How drained do you have to be to not meet your day's writing quota and be okay with it?

I have a day job. These last two weeks I have been on my "holiday". My "holiday" I have spent as I would if I could write full time. It's been great. I've never gotten this much done, ever.

But today I just can't hack it. I can't even make myself open the document. I know what's going to happen next and am really quite excited about the whole thing. But my brain refuses. My batteries are dead.

So I'm taking today off. And I'll do work again tomorrow. And I feel only slightly bad about it.

And I'm wondering: Would you have forced yourself to write today, regardless?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No. You obviously did overtime on your WIP this past two weeks. Sometimes you just know when enough is enough and you need some space. You're doing the right thing.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
When I feel that way there is usually something else my subconscience is telling me needs done. At the moment it is the last proposal to my Canadian publisher. I can't work on the WIP until I have worked that to my satisfaction.

Last time it was because there was a problem with the plot - a weakness I hadn't noticed (but my subcinscience had). So as well as needing a rest, it might be a hint to go back over the heaps of writing you've done in the last two weeks.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
No. I take regular breaks. Helps to re-focus. Today was crap for me and I knew it would be impossible to write something decent. Back to being beer night.

JJ

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
SHIT!!! I'm thinking of taking today off just because you are!!!!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No! That would be my answer. Go ahead get some fresh air, kick back and relax,
hugs, sweetie

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

I definitely did the right thing. I'm feeling better already.

So, Don Allen, did you end up taking the day off?

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. But I'm able to use reverse psychology and tell myself "Under no circumstances are you to write today!" and then I'm like "Oh, yeah? Who do you think you are telling me what to do?" and then the words start flowing.

Nicole

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I know myself. When in the middle of a project, I can't afford to take a day off for less than a fullscale emergency. So I would have sat down and written for an hour.

However, you know yourself, and you gave yourself a day off. No big deal. Just don't let it happen again. ;)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
writer's fatigue. Take the day off. You earned it.

Plus, the day off doesn't even count unless you ENJOY it without guilt!

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap! Now you'll NEVER be a writer! What in God's name were you thinking!

:D Seriously, if you have any guilt pangs about taking one day off from your wip, after having your nose to the grindstone as you have described, you probably NEEDED a day away from the thing.

But, I'm gonna go ahead and do two days worth of writing, now, so that I get rich and famous one day before you :)

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. It really helps to take breaks, actually and it can be destructive to force yourself to write. I think the best work comes about when you really feel like writing, not when you feel you have to write.

ASRafferty

Registered
Reaction score
I write every day because I have to... not stuff I like to write, but stuff I'm expected to write. But I've noticed over the past five years or so that I reach a state of readiness to write, and I've learned not to try to either force it or deny it. If it's not there, I can crank something out, but usually wind up revising it all beyond recognition anyway when I'm really ready.

Do I endorse the concept of taking a day off for its own sake? You bet... but I find the resolve doesn't matter if you realize you're ready in the middle of a day off... and, if I write when I'm not ready, I might as well have taken the day off.

Last edited:

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the day off did you good, Willowmound. :) Now, back to work, slacker. :D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I would have written anyway.

Because if there's one thing I know about myself, it's that if I let any bad habit creep into my routine, it will quickly become the norm.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
This is why I set a somewhat "low" quota for myself, of 10kb (about 1700 words). I know I could usually write more, but I don't want to wear myself out or turn it into something tedious. I actually used to write about twice as much a day until I would find myself struggling. Half as much is so much easier. It's easier to write when you HAVE to stop yourself from continuing!

Regarding sticking to the quota, no matter how low, or taking a break, I take breaks now and then but I honestly can't do it whenever I just feel too tired or whatever to write. Otherwise I would never get any writing done.

In your case though I don't think this applies because as you said, you've been writing like crazy prior to the break anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.