A general research question about the word Esoteric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who use this word, what do you mean by it when you use it?
I am not asking to be told what the meaning of the word is. I am asking instead what your meaning is when you use it.

Thanks in advance,
Gehanna

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
My personal interpretation of the word esoteric is that it's something only I, and maybe a few people who know me very well, can see and understand.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I use it in the sense that “it” is something only a few would understand (although I’m not necessarily one of them).

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I call an item of knowledge esoteric if it isn't widely known because it belongs to an area of advanced study in a specialized field. Some bit of baseball trivia that only a few people know, or a procedure known in some line of work that not many people practice, like applying gold leaf, might be esoteric by a dictionary definition (I haven't looked), but I wouldn't naturally use the word there. I'm more inclined to use it for academic knowledge.

Esoteric is just this side of occult.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
It is good to hear these explanations. I live in a town that maintains a firm hold on fundamentalism. It is a town where most anything construed as being esoteric would also be considered negatively occult and therefore inappropriate.

Taking into consideration the definition and opinions provided here, I do not suppose my knowledge nor my interests to be esoteric rather than perhaps unacceptable.

I apologize for the seemingly egocentric nature of my posts. I do it based on need for perspective beyond what is available around me.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.