PDA

View Full Version : A general research question about the word Esoteric.

Gehanna
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
For those of you who use this word, what do you mean by it when you use it?
I am not asking to be told what the meaning of the word is. I am asking instead what your meaning is when you use it.

Thanks in advance,
Gehanna

Poppy
04-12-2005, 03:10 AM
My personal interpretation of the word esoteric is that it's something only I, and maybe a few people who know me very well, can see and understand.

three seven
04-12-2005, 03:12 AM
I'd use it in exactly the same way as Poppy (occasionally substituting 'people who know me well' for 'colleagues').

CaoPaux
04-12-2005, 03:32 AM
I use it in the sense that it is something only a few would understand (although Im not necessarily one of them).

Gehanna
04-12-2005, 03:43 AM
LMAO CaoPaux!!

reph
04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I call an item of knowledge esoteric if it isn't widely known because it belongs to an area of advanced study in a specialized field. Some bit of baseball trivia that only a few people know, or a procedure known in some line of work that not many people practice, like applying gold leaf, might be esoteric by a dictionary definition (I haven't looked), but I wouldn't naturally use the word there. I'm more inclined to use it for academic knowledge.

Esoteric is just this side of occult.

Richard
04-17-2005, 01:56 PM
It's like the more advanced version of trivia - secrets knowledge known only to a small number of people.

Gehanna
04-17-2005, 04:57 PM
It is good to hear these explanations. I live in a town that maintains a firm hold on fundamentalism. It is a town where most anything construed as being esoteric would also be considered negatively occult and therefore inappropriate.

Taking into consideration the definition and opinions provided here, I do not suppose my knowledge nor my interests to be esoteric rather than perhaps unacceptable.

I apologize for the seemingly egocentric nature of my posts. I do it based on need for perspective beyond what is available around me.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

veinglory
04-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I would say it means something obscure but meaningful rather than trivial