PDA

View Full Version : Does marijuana go bad?

KikiteNeko
06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
My story is set in 1971, and my characters have a history of smoking marijuana and doing LSD in the early 1960's. I know nothing at all about drugs, and I need to know if it's possible from them to have preserved marijuana and LSD for several years? Would it need to be frozen? Could it be stored in a cabinet?

jennontheisland
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
It can go mouldy in a damp environment. In a baggie in a drawer the weed will be so dry it will be basically un-smokable after about 6 weeks. It will crumble at the slightest touch and burn too fast. Basically, it gets 'stale'. Frozen it might last longer, but it will be wet and sticky when it thaws.

LSD, not so sure. I imagine after a while the active compounds would start to breakdown...different environments may slow or speed the process...not sure if it's photosensitive...

jennifer75
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Not a smoker, but live with one. Storage is key. As for 6 weeks, I think that's pushing it. It will crumble and turn to stinky mess after a couple of weeks. If its "the good stuff" may last a lil longer. But really, who's keeping it around that long. ;)

Kalyke
06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Do you think vacuum packing with one of those little packets of silicon crystals would help? You can vacuum pack dry goods in clean canning jars using one of those vacuum packers that you find in kitchen ware departments. The silicon crystal packets come from the craft store. I know I have herbs (not pot) from years ago packed in sterilized jars and vacuum packed and they are still good. The pot should be dried at a slow rate, in a cool, dark, dry place hung upside so the THC collects in the upper stems and buds. People who throw it in the dryer are not doing it correctly. (This is what I have read). The house hold vacuum canners actually did not exist for public consumption in 1971, (there were probably industrial models, which were prohibitive in cost-- as you probably know the early to mid 70's were spend in a doosey of a recession, just like this one and no one had much money. But you can do the job with a reversed engine (like a vacuum machine) with a tight seal over the can lid. The tight seal can be created using latex rubber, a compound common to sculptors and jewelers for making molds-- so give them a friend who makes rings and knows about stuff like this. We were making these vacuums in the 80's using a large bell jar, vacuum cleaner engine, and medicinal grade silicon rubber. (not that we would ever do anything illegal-- oh no, not us.)

aka eraser
06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Unsure about the answer to your questions but acid wasn't readily available in the early 60s - more like from '67 or so on.

Willowmound
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
If you need them to have stash from way back, you could make it be hashish. It will keep longer than unprocessed weed. Though it too gets weaker over time...

Wikilink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashish).

DWSTXS
06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
If it's kept dry it can last for months. It does lose some potency though.
Acid, I'm not sure.

The thing to know about weed is that very few people ever let it sit around long enough to go stale. I know I never did. :)

jennontheisland
06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
The thing to know about weed is that very few people ever let it sit around long enough to go stale. I know I never did. :)

Um, usually the stuff that sits around wasn't left there on purpose...it was because someone forgot where they put it. ;)

DWSTXS
06-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Um, usually the stuff that sits around wasn't left there on purpose...it was because someone forgot where they put it. ;)

well, then I must have 'weed-dar' (weed + radar)
LOL

Kalyke
06-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Unsure about the answer to your questions but acid wasn't readily available in the early 60s - more like from '67 or so on.

This is true around 67-68. Grateful Dead, Neal Cassady, Merry Pranksters, Ken Kesey. Further. The Book "On the Road," Jack Kerouac, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Kesey. "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe.

Authors were very much involved in getting Acid to the public. I think it was criminalize by '69 though in '70 a form called "Orange Sunshine" lasted quite a while.

DWSTXS
06-05-2008, 10:19 PM
The only time I remember weed being 'bad' was when I only had just a little bit, my friends knew about it, and they wanted to 'share' (weird-ass concept), so I would always tell them how old it was, and it was just skunk-weed to begin with. sometimes I could actually talk them out of it.
then when they left. I would light up. and grin.

Fingers
06-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Properly cured and stored marijuana can last for as long as two years with little loss of potency. The best way to store it is in a dark glass jar with a rubber seal. Store in a freezer or a dark cupboard away from extremes of heat and cold. If it is properly cured you can also put it in vacuum seal bags for the same amount of time. The only reason marijuana molds is because it is not completely cured/dried. There are quite a few websites dedicated to marijuana, but I would check out the medical marijuana sites as they are more atuned to helping people grow to become self sufficient and to not have to rely on the black market. In Oregon, medical users are allowed to have up to 24 oz of dried/cured bud. It wouldnt make much sense for them to be able to have that much if it was just going to go bad in as short a time as six weeks. Starting to go off topic here. For any more info just pm me if you think I can be helpful.

yer pal Brian

StephanieFox
06-05-2008, 10:42 PM
It's good to keep it in the freezer, but kept in a cool and dry place it will last quite a while. It may lose a lot of potency, but will still have an effect, even years later.

Please understand that back in the 1960s and 1970s, pot was a lot milder. Smoking pot was a social experience, kind of like sharing a bottle of wine. For most people the point was NOT to get so wasted that you couldn't find your foot. You tried for a nice comfortable buzz and then smoked more to maintain the buzz. You wanted to have conversations or go do things, not lie on the mattress and drool.

Acid or other halloooooosagens were taken to experience changes of perception, and often people would go for walks or visit in order to share these experiences. During the mid-1970s magic mushrooms became popular. There was a drug called MDA, chemically related to extacy that added a love-drug element (love as in 'I love everybody', not as in sex.)

Hope this helps yours story.

DWSTXS
06-05-2008, 11:05 PM
It's good to keep it in the freezer, but kept in a cool and dry place it will last quite a while. It may lose a lot of potency, but will still have an effect, even years later.

Please understand that back in the 1960s and 1970s, pot was a lot milder. Smoking pot was a social experience, kind of like sharing a bottle of wine. For most people the point was NOT to get so wasted that you couldn't find your foot. You tried for a nice comfortable buzz and then smoked more to maintain the buzz. You wanted to have conversations or go do things, not lie on the mattress and drool.

Acid or other halloooooosagens were taken to experience changes of perception, and often people would go for walks or visit in order to share these experiences. During the mid-1970s magic mushrooms became popular. There was a drug called MDA, chemically related to extacy that added a love-drug element (love as in 'I love everybody', not as in sex.)

Hope this helps yours story.

This is true. What we smoked back then was very different than what the kids have now.

In terms of potency and F U'd quotient, I would rate 'drugs' as follows:

Beer
Wine
Pot
alcohol
Hash
MDA
mushrooms
opium
speed (Black Mollies, white crosses etc)
cocaine
acid
heroin

PattiTheWicked
06-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Does marijuana go bad?

I think the more important question is, "If it's bad, do the people smoking it really care?"

IceCreamEmpress
06-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I think the more important question is, "If it's bad, do the people smoking it really care?"

Yes. Overly dry marijuana tastes and smells horrible, stale, and bitter, much like overly dry tobacco.

Tomothecat, let me recommend erowid.org as a good site for information about drugs both legal and illegal.

Captshady
06-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Anyone know how the term "Bogart it" came to be? Did Bogey smoke weed and not share it or something?

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Bogart it -
Came from the movie Easy Rider, from a song by the Fraternity of Man

Chorus
Don't bogart that joint my friend
Pass it over to me
Don't bogart that joint my friend
Pass it over again

Roll another one
Just like the other one
You've been holding on to it
And I sure would like a hit

[chorus]

Roll another one
Just like the other one
That one's burned to the end
Come on and be a real friend

Siddow
06-06-2008, 01:23 AM
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bogart

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes. Overly dry marijuana tastes and smells horrible, stale, and bitter, much like overly dry tobacco.

Tomothecat, let me recommend erowid.org as a good site for information about drugs both legal and illegal.

Tomo, this site erowid.org is okay if you want to know just some clinical properties and descriptions of drugs etc. If you want to know how they were used and what it felt like to do them, and how people talked about them and felt about them, there are better sources.

The best way to get a good practiacl idea of how they were used, and why some people liked certain drugs over others, in other words, a real-world view of drugs, you have to talk to those who did them, and experienced the 60's and 70's while high and under the influence. These things can't be learned from government literature and clinical web sites that just show the drugs and list their names.

IceCreamEmpress
06-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Tomo, this site erowid.org is okay if you want to know just some clinical properties and descriptions of drugs etc. If you want to know how they were used and what it felt like to do them, and how people talked about them and felt about them, there are better sources.

You haven't read the trip reports on Erowid, I take it? They're in the Experience Vaults (http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp_front.shtml).

Erowid is actually one of the best sources out there for lots of first-person accounts.

Shadow_Ferret
06-06-2008, 01:39 AM

I must have been doing it wrong then. I'd get totally wasted and then just sit and listen to music while eating munchies. Conversations were too difficult.

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 02:33 AM
I must have been doing it wrong then. I'd get totally wasted and then just sit and listen to music while eating munchies. Conversations were too difficult.

not to mention always getting the giggles and you're unable to stop because everything is funny.

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-06-2008, 03:04 AM
My story is set in 1971, and my characters have a history of smoking marijuana and doing LSD in the early 1960's. I know nothing at all about drugs, and I need to know if it's possible from them to have preserved marijuana and LSD for several years? Would it need to be frozen? Could it be stored in a cabinet?

You have to preserve it very dry, in a sealed container so the resins don't evaporate and mold doesn't grow. Put dessicant packeage in the container. Properly sealed and air-tight it would last several years in a real freezer (not the freezer compartment of a kitchen refrigerator). Thaw it slowly, unopened, and let it come to room temp before you open it.

The LSD, if dried on something and kept sealed, would also be stable.

StephanieFox
06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Anyone know how the term "Bogart it" came to be? Did Bogey smoke weed and not share it or something?

In the movies, Bogart would hold his cigarette in his mouth or had without smoking it but just letting it burn. To Bogart a joint means that you would hold it while you (usually) talked instead of passing it on as custom and politeness required.

StephanieFox
06-06-2008, 04:34 AM

You were either a real pot head, or you are too young to remember back in the day. I remember that in the late 1980s talking with some 20-some pot smoker who laughed at me because I was complaining about the change in drug culture, from social to wasted. He couldn't see the point of doing it my way and I couldn't see the point of doing it his way.

Vandal
06-06-2008, 04:37 AM
If you are unsure if supply is still fresh, our highly trained professionals will test it for you. Please send all samples to:

Vandal Labs
420 Cannibus Lane
Tokeville, MA

This is a free service.

StephanieFox
06-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Pot was much cheaper, even taking inflation into account. In the late 1960s, pot was $5 an oz and people were upset when suddenly the price jumped to $10 and then to $15 an oz. In the mid-1970s, you could still get pot for $45 a 1/4 lb.

Some casual sellers (mostly to friends) would estimate the amount and others would weigh it on a scale. Everyone who sold would give customers a free joint to share to prove that it wasn't ditch weed, kinda like a fruit-seller giving customers a grape before they bought a bunch of grapes. It was all very friendly back then in most places.

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Pot was much cheaper, even taking inflation into account. In the late 1960s, pot was $5 an oz and people were upset when suddenly the price jumped to $10 and then to $15 an oz. In the mid-1970s, you could still get pot for $45 a 1/4 lb.

Some casual sellers (mostly to friends) would estimate the amount and others would weigh it on a scale. Everyone who sold would give customers a free joint to share to prove that it wasn't ditch weed, kinda like a fruit-seller giving customers a grape before they bought a bunch of grapes. It was all very friendly back then in most places.

EXACTLY!

plus, a rolled up baggie, was called a LID, and we almost never heard about, or talked about OUNCES.
from 1968 to around 1974 pot was very plentiful. Hash was fairly easy to find too.

StephanieFox
06-06-2008, 06:18 AM
EXACTLY!

plus, a rolled up baggie, was called a LID, and we almost never heard about, or talked about OUNCES.
from 1968 to around 1974 pot was very plentiful. Hash was fairly easy to find too.

Ounces usually didn't mean actual ounces, simply aprox an oz. And yes, it was called a lid of pot.

In the Midwest, you didn't see any cocaine until well after 1975. People weren't interested in it. They wanted to get mellow, not wired.

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Ounces usually didn't mean actual ounces, simply aprox an oz. And yes, it was called a lid of pot.

In the Midwest, you didn't see any cocaine until well after 1975. People weren't interested in it. They wanted to get mellow, not wired.

right! and everbody wanted to get their hands on some maui wowee

Shadow_Ferret
06-06-2008, 06:55 AM
You were either a real pot head, or you are too young to remember back in the day. I remember that in the late 1980s talking with some 20-some pot smoker who laughed at me because I was complaining about the change in drug culture, from social to wasted. He couldn't see the point of doing it my way and I couldn't see the point of doing it his way.
I'm 50. The point in smoking was to get high, escape reality. Get mellow and listen to prog rock or space rock. Conversations required too much thought and ruined the high. Unless you were just discussing music.

Nickel bags were $5. Dime bags were $10. I can't recall what those translated to an ounce.

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm 50. The point in smoking was to get high, escape reality. Get mellow and listen to prog rock or space rock. Conversations required too much thought and ruined the high. Unless you were just discussing music.

I'm in the same age bracket.

Anybody remember getting high at the drive-in movies?

Kerr
06-06-2008, 09:55 AM

I'm in the same age bracket.

Anybody remember getting high at the drive-in movies?

Ditto, and no. Mostly, it was just sitting around in someone's living room, music pounding and too many people talking. Joint after joint getting passed around. Each time a new voice piped into the conversation, it was like jumping into and entirely different room.

The best of it was laughing and eating. Everything tasted like the best thing you'd ever eaten.

I do remember smoking a joint in AZ once though, that must have been Acapulco's Gold. My boyfriend didn't smoke, but his cousin had just returned from Nam. The joint was so thin it was gone in four puffs, one each on the way to a liquor store, one each coming back. We were gone all of ten minutes, came back to cousin's house and sat on the couch watching TV and talking to Dad. When the boys realized how messed up I was, they tried to whisk me off to the bedroom to check out the stereo. They stood me up and I almost fell over the coffee table. In the bedroom, they stuck the earphones on my head and I started screaming that it was just like climbing in the mountains that day. I could see the eagles flying overhead. They were clamping their hands over my mouth trying to shut me up. Good stuff, and the first I'd experienced earphones. It still makes me laugh, but I can well understand the government trying to cut stuff like that out. No one could smoke that and then drive, though if I had a choice, it'd be pot. People tend to sit in one place and quietly enjoy their high till it passes.

Shadow_Ferret
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Marijuana had one strange quality to it. Unlike liquor, in which constant use creates a resistance to it, meaning you need more and more to reach the same level of high, pot seemed to be the opposite. The first time you smoked, you'd smoke a lot and just barely get high. In fact, I don't even think I got high my first time. But with each use, I'd need less and less to get high. It got to the point where just a few tokes and I'd get glazed eye, with that silly grin, and just sort of try to focus on faces, which were extremely funny. Talking faces, moving lips, eyebrows wiggling, all that becomes hysterical.

Granted, lower resistance with constant use might be an urban legend, but I found it to be true in my case.

DWSTXS
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Marijuana had one strange quality to it. Unlike liquor, in which constant use creates a resistance to it, meaning you need more and more to reach the same level of high, pot seemed to be the opposite. The first time you smoked, you'd smoke a lot and just barely get high. In fact, I don't even think I got high my first time. But with each use, I'd need less and less to get high. It got to the point where just a few tokes and I'd get glazed eye, with that silly grin, and just sort of try to focus on faces, which were extremely funny. Talking faces, moving lips, eyebrows wiggling, all that becomes hysterical.

Granted, lower resistance with constant use might be an urban legend, but I found it to be true in my case.

I found that my arm and hands were getting all tingly every time I smoked. It became so annoying I finally quit.

Now, I'd love to get tingled. LOL

StephanieFox
06-12-2008, 01:38 AM
In 1971, no one used the term "groovy." Hippies called themselves 'freaks'.

Men and boys were often fired from their jobs or kicked out of public school for having long hair; sometimes that meant below their ears.

Sex roles were very traditional. Feminism was a very new idea.

Vietnam was the place they sent you or your friends.

There was violence between the 'straights' and the 'hippies.'

it was exciting, but strange.

Mr. Fix
06-12-2008, 01:58 AM
STORING MARIJUANA?

Why would you want to store marijuana for any length of time? Its meant to be smoke at the peak of it potency. After a proper curing time the flower should be immediately burned, inhaled and shared. Doing anything else (other than saving it for a friend to be given on their birthday) is crazy! The intent is to be used by a group of friends (or people becoming friends) immediately.

Sure you may want to hold on to some for the concert/movie/hot night of se... when you feel like it. But "saving" marijuana for any length of time (storage) is just counter-productive... much like smoking it can be. You don't hold onto your "happiness" because happiness is meant to be shared. You don't save sunlight... no, 'daylight savings' is not the same thing. When the sun is up, you just go outside, and enjoy the sunshine.

Marijuana is like having sunshine in a bag! Its like having a friend come by to say 'High!' (And its amazing how many friends will show up when they know you're holding.)

Uh... what was I talking about again... Oh yeah, POT!

Gotta step outside now and taste a little sunshine in the bag!:Sun:

(What? Did ya think that was a cigarette in my avatars mouth?)

StephanieFox
06-12-2008, 02:04 AM
STORING MARIJUANA?

Why would you SAVE pot for any length of time? Its meant to be smoke at the peak of it potency. After a proper curing time the flower should be immediately burned, inhaled and shared. Doing anything else (other than saving it for a friend to be given on their birthday) is crazy! The intent is to be used by a group of friends (or poeple becoming friends) immediately.

Sure you may want to hold on to some for the concert/movie/hot night of se... when you feel like it. But "saving" marijuana for any length of time (storage) is just counter-productive... much like smoking it can be. You don't hold onto your "happiness" because happiness is meant to be shared. You don't save sunlight... no, 'daylight savings' is not the same thing. When the sun is up, you just go outside, and enjoy the day.

Marijuana is like having sunshine in a bag! Its like having a friend come by to say 'High!' (And its amazing how many friends will show up when they know you're holding.)

Uh... what was I talking about again... Oh yeah, POT!

Gotta step outside now and taste a little sunshine in the bag!:Sun:

You SAVE it for a couple of reasons. One, you bought in bulk, so you don't have to go searching for it again for a while or two, you hid it when you were high and now can't find where you put it. Then, one day, when you are searching for that special pen with the lilac purple ink, you find it.