Justify your Non-vote

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if the contestants would be interested in a thread where voters explained what they didn't like about their stories (and thus didn't vote for them). I think I'd want to know what flaws folks perceive in my writing (though they're obviously wrong;) ) or a particular story, but everyone is different. Would this be of interest to y'all?

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe after the voting is done? I don't know how the other finalists feel, but this whole process is maddening to me. I'm on edge. If I had another thread to obsessively check (and probably get a good dose of pain from--my poor fragile ego) I would go insane.

Of course, the obvious response to that is, "Dude, don't open the thread!" Oh, if only it were that easy. If only.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I can so relate to that. I used to take part in a critique site where I'd hit "refresh" to check for new reviews at least 84 times a day. It began feeling really unhealthy after a while...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I can so relate to that. I used to take part in a critique site where I'd hit "refresh" to check for new reviews at least 84 times a day. It began feeling really unhealthy after a while...

Let me guess, that's where you got the idea for the Water Cooler? :)

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Justify your vote thread did this job pretty well. The ones that did post who they voted for usually went on to tell why. The finalists should look at that thread and read the coments before writing their future stories.

What gets me? An intriguing story that leaves you with unanswered questions. Leave me with something that will make me want to read more and find out what and why. The story can be a well written one but if there is no mystery to it then it falls flat.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It takes diff'rent strokes to rule the woooorld... :D

See, I *hate it* when there are unanswered questions. I throw stuff at my TV when a movie ends without telling me how it ends. I don't want to think, I don't want to guess, I want the writer to tell me what happened and let me move on with my life. I'm a closure freak.

Birol: Yes. I am evil.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh! One pointer I'll share: There were at least two stories that I thought would have been excellent if they'd been tightened up. As they stood, the pacing didn't keep up enough to hold my attention. I thought both could have been cut almost in half, sacrificing some details for the sake of pacing.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Oh! One pointer I'll share: There were at least two stories that I thought would have been excellent if they'd been tightened up. As they stood, the pacing didn't keep up enough to hold my attention. I thought both could have been cut almost in half, sacrificing some details for the sake of pacing.

I can't believe how many darlings I kill in everything I write. But phrasing and tightening makes such a difference in the reader's flow, especially if you're reading it for the first time. And by the third or fourth time, when you're going back to check, to see if you can distinguish it from other entries, those steps of revising can make all the difference.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
After Wednesday when the votes are in, I'd love to see why people didn't vote for stories. You can't grow in a vacuum. I can't, anyway.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder about that Kevin. I actually had several negative (but constructive!) comments about many of the stories, that led to me not voting for them. But why post them, and single someone out, unless they want to hear them? Ah well, somewhat irrelevant at this point.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that, after the votes are in, constructive criticism would be helpful if presented in a thread. Right now, the only thing keeping me from totally freaking out is that Mark said he voted for me ;), so I know I got at least one vote. I didn't expect to feel this fragile.

I agree with Jenna about different strokes. On the closure thing, I like to understand the end without having it spelled out to me: "So Jim Bob decided to do X," just as I'm not fond of including the phrase "John Boy was at a crossroads" in a piece. Either of those, to me, is telling more than showing. Speaking of which... am I showing my age by referencing The Waltons? :scared:

I think I'm one of the two Jenna mentioned :gone: ; I overwrite so much initially that by the time I get down to the word count, I can't bear to cut anything else. I need to get brutal.

My other thought, and again maybe people can address this on Wednesday (or by PM), is that my piece, and the character's arc, is very internal. I can see how people who prefer external action wouldn't find mine compelling. It's a good learning exercise.

Feel free to send me PMs. All I ask is that you be gentle... :)

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
It takes diff'rent strokes to rule the woooorld... :D

See, I *hate it* when there are unanswered questions. I throw stuff at my TV when a movie ends without telling me how it ends. I don't want to think, I don't want to guess, I want the writer to tell me what happened and let me move on with my life. I'm a closure freak.

Birol: Yes. I am evil.
Let me rephrase that Jenna.

An intriguing chapter/peice of story that leaves you with unanswered questions.

I like the questions to be answered by the end of the book, if they are not the author better hope he/she is doing a sequel. But something like the peices in the competiton are good to leave questions, makes you wonder.

Mark said:

"I actually had several negative (but constructive!) comments about many of the stories, that led to me not voting for them."

Here you are letting people guide your choice, don't. Pick the one that feels best to you and not go by what other people say is wrong with one of the stories. I picked what I think was best and if someone tried to tell me I was wrong I will fight tooth and nail. It was the best to me, and all that matters is me. You can like what you like, but leave me to mine. There is a reason I liked the one I chose and that is all you need to know.

(To clarify, not posting this post to you directly Mark, just pointing out what I would say to people if they tried to argue with me.)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
just pointing out what I would say to people if they tried to argue with me.

yarbrough stands shirtless in front of the mirror: "you talkin' to me? you talking to me??"

amazon_riot

Registered
Reaction score
I liked all of the entries, but some of them lost me just because I felt like they were trying too hard to come across as "a great writer" rather than telling a good story. Don't get me wrong, all the stories were good. I just like to read something where I don't even rememeber who wrote it because I'm too caught up and sucked in to this temporary world. But good job to all of you who made the top 11! I'm more of a reader than a writer so.... what do I know?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Welcome, Amazon Riot--:)

I still haven't voted. I'd make a lousy acquiring editor. Not only are all the entries really, really good...I LIKE all you peeps so much, too.

Dunno what the heck I'm gonna do. Dither some more, I suppose.

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
yarbrough stands shirtless in front of the mirror: "you talkin' to me? you talking to me??"
Have to practice my game face somehow Haskins. Though, I got to tell ya, when I do that I sometimes scare myself.