PDA

View Full Version : Posting Manuscript on Website

darby
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi.
I read somewhere that it's a good idea to start up a website or facebook or something similar on which to post my manuscript. If I am currently submitting the manuscript to agents, is there an ethical problem with this? Also is there any legal problem with this? I.E. Can someone steal my work and publish it as their own? I live in Canada if this makes any difference to the legalities of it.

Vincent
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, there's a problem with it. Many consider that to count as self-publication. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot to do it.

KTC
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
very bad idea.

Mumut
06-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Have a website and blog etc but don't put your manuscript on it. When you're published it will be a good place to advertise your work.

victoriastrauss
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I think you'd be fine with excerpts--the first chapter, say. Don't put the whole thing online, though.

- Victoria

arkady
06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Look at it this way: you're essentially telling an agent "I've put my novel on the internet for everyone to read for free. Now will you try and sell it to a publisher for me?"

God knows Victoria's got far more publishing experience than me, but I'd go even further with her advice and put no more than the first page or so up.

darby
06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you all. I couldn't understand the benefit of offering it for free as a way to promote it, but, being new to this whole game I thought "they" knew something I didn't.

victoriastrauss
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Some authors appear to have had success offering their books as free downloads (with their publishers' permission), but not until after the book has been published.

For promotion to be effective, you've got to have something to promote.

- Victoria