Podcasting anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
I have spent plenty of time exploring new media and have completed my first podcast at blogtalkradio. Tomorrow I have my first "real" guest interview - live!

I am wondering if other first-time authors have done this to spread their message, help the public or build their audience. Have you done this? Any tips? Lots of famous people are doing this; I'm just wondering about us average folks.

By the way, I have been inundated with people offering classes to teach me how to do this and I guess if I had a few grand to spare I would have signed up but right now I have more time than money...so I've been in a self-directed study of the topic as it pertains to authors.

So AW friends, any podcasters out there? Any advice on platform, technical issues, audience, increase in book sales?

Thank you in advance!

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. I regularly supply audio poems to be included in other people's podcasts, and I'm happy that there are some new markets of this sort. It hasn't generated any sales, just the run-of-the-mill "keep your name out there" thing.

While I have some good ideas for memorable podcast series, when I look at the numbers I just can't see pouring the time into them. It turns out the be just "another thing I hope people might find interesting." Then I have to promote the podcast ... it's a never-ending circle. If it takes 2 or 3 hours to write/improv, mix and master an episode, and maybe 5 or 6 hours to promote it ... and nets 10 sales of a book I get maybe $2 (each) profit from ... then I will have worked a bunch for around $2 an hour. More likely, it nets no sales or interest, and I have to try something else. There are no easy answers. On any project, try to work with real numbers, instead of vague notions like "famous people do it, so it must be good." It will be interesting to see other people's experiences posted here.

I agree with your caution about people offering courses on how to do things we can easily learn on our own. It seems like, for every creative task, there are vultures circling overhead, waiting to take our money and "instruct" us.

= scott

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scottvee -
Thanks for that real-world scenario! Yep, I agree that it might not translate to direct book sales and I'm doing it as part of my marketing mix and to reach a new audience. You spend much more production time than I do and I'm sure your results are of more professional quality. My comment about famous people was more in reference to their time and ability to do it rather than any adulation. For a self-employed person like me it's nearly always "do it yourself."

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmer: I've followed with interest your progress with your invaluable book on the Non-Fiction forum. I'm following in your footsteps (albeit self-published) with my imminent book - an inside look at the sport of Pro Beach Volleyball. I will check out the podcast tips you provided.
Thanks, Tom
"Order On The Court"

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Kimmer: I've followed with interest your progress with your invaluable book on the Non-Fiction forum. I'm following in your footsteps (albeit self-published) with my imminent book - an inside look at the sport of Pro Beach Volleyball. I will check out the podcast tips you provided.
Thanks, Tom
"Order On The Court"

tombookpub - I've sent a pm to you with more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.