Unusual, yet Delicious Recipes

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, fess up! Spill the beans mixed with mustard and sauerkraut! We all eaten certain odd concoctions whether we admit to them publicly or not! Well, now is your chance to stand proud and admit to loving unusual creations that you've either created or got from others!

What weird, odd, unusual recipes do you have that you just love to eat when no one's watching or that no one outside of your family would understand?

I'll start this with two recipes of my own!

1. I just mixed cottage cheese with Garlic Garlic (from Tastefully Simple) and will cut up an avocado into it in the morning for breakfast! Also makes a great chip dip!

2. I was heading to a potluck and forgot to make something. Panicked, I threw open my cupboards and found three things to mix together. OreIda Frozen Mashed Potatoes (I only make my own, now, which works too, of course), a bag of frozen corn (simmered) and a can of Frito Lay Cheddar Cheese and Jalapeno Cheese Dip all stirred together! I brought it to the potluck and people looked as scared as they could be! But, once the first person tried it and raved, everyone else tried it and now I have to bring these along everywhere I go when I have to bring a food dish. (Only now I make it with fresh potatoes.)

Your turn....! Spill it.

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Soft cream cheese mixed with with black caviar (folded in carefully to preserve the eggs). Even people who don't particularly like fish like this. And if the folk at work want a Friday 13th morning tea, serving up all things black, this is a hit.

If the fruit loaf you've bought doesn't really live up to its name, spread it with crunchy peanut butter and slices of banana.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Fried bananas - just a quick tumble in a small amount of butter and sugar in a frying pan. The heat does something to the bananas, very tasty.

And, a very rare craving for ... condensed milk. Just a taste now & then, usually while making something else. Not good for anyone with sensitive teeth!

Peanut butter & honey sandwich. Yum.

Of course, when there are fresh peaches or apricots or plums around the house, no fancy snacks needed.

Had a funny episode last week, where I had cut up some strawberries and cantaloupe to put on some cereal -- only to find there was no cereal. So, I just poured milk on it and ate it. Almost any fruit would work. Who says there has to be cereal in the mug? (Yes, we eat cereal in mugs for some reason.) (BTW, I roasted the cantaloupe seeds too)

Next?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Cream cheese and hot pepper jelly spread on crackers.

Not unusual, but definitely meant to be eaten alone: garlic sauce (more like a spread) from any Middle Eastern restaurant. I can eat a pint of that stuff on anything. It's just garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt whipped together until it's the consistency of mayo. You can imagine how I smell for several days afterward.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I don't consider this an unusual combination, but when I served these scrambled eggs at Christmas breakfast last year, a few of my guests had never heard of the combination. I would normally use goat cheese, but I knew two of the guests didn't like goat cheese. (Heathens!)

Just before your scrambled eggs set up, fold in pieces of smoked salmon and chunks of cream cheese or goat cheese. Sprinkle with a small amount of dried dill or chopped fresh dill.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Mumut: I can tolerate caviar but I can see how it would be better with cream cheese! As for the fruit loaf, it's all yours! When it comes to fruit, I like it plain.

scotVee: Fried bananas are great! Many restaurants here serve them and they're pretty popular. I've done the condensed milk thing. LOL Make doubly strong coffee, pour it over a tall glass of ice and add 1/3 can of sweetened condensed milk. Beautious! I grew up on peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Still love 'em! The fruit and milk sounds interesting, but I'll stick to plain fruit. Don't know why but I've never been fond of fruit in anything. Except bananas and chocolate. Combine some peanut butter and I'm set!

MeowGirl: I've not tried the hot pepper jelly yet. I like hot peppers but, as a jelly? I'll have to cave in and try it. An international market here sells Rose Jam, too, that's intrigued me. Maybe it's time to branch out? I love mint jelly, as long as it's the kind with real mint leaves in it. I know the garlic sauce you're talking about! There's a Lebanese restaurant here that serves it with their chicken kabobs and they sell it by the quart because people love it!

brianm: With the cream cheese, those sound like amazing eggs! I'm not fond of goat cheese. I always figured if I wanted to taste a goat, I'd go out and lick one directly. I like my scrambled eggs with the green tobasco sauce on them, and sauteed mushrooms. Not unusual though. Will have to try your recipe, thanks!

Can't wait to read more! Anyone else finding combos they're interested in?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of making zuccini or banana bread, take the fruit portion and split it three way between apple, carrot and zuccini, substitute the oil for applesauce and some of the sugar for mashed banana. It comes out fruit packed, lower fat, and absolutely delicious. You can also put in some apple juice and reduce some of the liquid and some of the sugar as well if you're serving a diabetic.

Take a pie crust, I prefer the ones with butter and milk vs the oil and water (but olive oil and water work well too), insert diced apples that have soaked in apple juice, cinnimon and nutmeg over night. Make small mini pasteries, about the size of your palm. Sprinkle cinnimon and sugar over t he top of the pastry and bake at 350 degrees until the crusts are lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your pies.

Take an 8oz box of cream cheese, cream it, dice up strawberries and mix in some strawberry jam. Thin homemade strawberry jam works best. When pies have cooled enough to handle, dip in creamcheese mixture and enjoy.

Make your stew the night before, with potatoes and rice and carrots and sausage, and a good spice mix, (This is a broth based stew). Eat it for supper that night. Refridgerate the leftovers. The next day for lunch heat up the stew, the rice should soak up the juice pretty good, roll them up in tortilla shells and enjoy.

That's all I can think of for now.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
A block of cream cheese on a serving dish with Pickapeppa sauce poured over.
Eat with crackers.

You can also do this using mango chutney or other highly-seasoned sauce or spread.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I was invited to a friend's house for a scotch tasting, and decided to bring an appropriate snack along. I decided on scotch eggs. But rather than using all ground pork, I used 50% ground lamb, 50% pork.

They were good.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one, not sure if it's unusual.

But either buy or make cinnimon and sugar chips. You can take tortilla shells, cut them into triangles, rub with olive oil and sprinkle on the cinnimon and sugar. Bake them in the oven until crunchy but not burnt.

Take a box of strawberries, dice, 6-8 kiwis, dice, (Or any other fruit combination) add in some juice, get creative, and 3 T of strawberry jam until it looks like salsa. You can add in some sweetened and condensed milk, or some creamcheese if you want, then serve with the chips.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
This is not a recipe, just a snack.
I like to halve an avocado, remove the pit and fill the cavity with a French dressing.
Eat out of hand with a spoon.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
That IS an unusual recipe, CatSlave!

Anyone have any more on the UNUSUAL side? You know, those things you're too embarrassed to eat in front of anyone outside the family or don't admit to liking!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
That IS an unusual recipe, CatSlave!

Anyone have any more on the UNUSUAL side? You know, those things you're too embarrassed to eat in front of anyone outside the family or don't admit to liking!
You mean like standing in front of the open refrigerator door, squirting whipped cream
directly into your mouth from the container when no one is looking? :D
Not lately.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
You mean like standing in front of the open refrigerator door, squirting whipped cream
directly into your mouth from the container when no one is looking? :D
Not lately.

It's more fun to do that when someone is looking, but then again you usually get yelled at for it in my house. It's yummy though.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Here's a Sri Lankan recipe for something called pol sambol :

Freshly grated coconut
1 finely chopped onion
Red chili powder (as much as you can stand, keep tasting dish as you prepare it to find your cutoff point)
Lemon or lime juice (freshly squeezed is best) and salt to taste

Optional : finely chopped green chilies, ground dried red chilies

Mix all ingredients well. The sambol should be a fiery orange-red color at the end. It's very versatile. I ate it with rice in Sri Lanka, made sandwiches with it in the Middle East and used it as a chip dip in the States. You'll want something cold to drink, though.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Peanut butter and onion sandwiches, flavored with a little salt. So very good.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner! The grand prize belongs to you, TerzaRima!

Never, in a million years, would I have thought to do this. :flag:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is unusual. But, when I used to eat steak, I liked to put gobs of sour cream on it. Lot's of fat, but, I was pretty much eating Atkins style back then.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
But either buy or make cinnimon and sugar chips. You can take tortilla shells, cut them into triangles, rub with olive oil and sprinkle on the cinnimon and sugar. Bake them in the oven until crunchy but not burnt.

Icerose, how long and at what temperature do you bake the tortillas? I love cinnamon and sugar chips but never thought to make my own. The store brands are expensive, and I almost always have tortillas on hand.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Icerose, how long and at what temperature do you bake the tortillas? I love cinnamon and sugar chips but never thought to make my own. The store brands are expensive, and I almost always have tortillas on hand.

350 degrees for about 7 minutes then rotate the pan and bake another 7 minutes. Keep a really close eye on your first batch in case your oven cooks fast or slow. My oven cooks in half the time.

You can use corn or white, depending on the flavor you are going for.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Not unusual, but definitely meant to be eaten alone: garlic sauce (more like a spread) from any Middle Eastern restaurant. I can eat a pint of that stuff on anything. It's just garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt whipped together until it's the consistency of mayo. You can imagine how I smell for several days afterward.

Okay, I dabbled with the ingredients you listed, and the sauce below is what I came up with. :) You can make as little or much as you like--this is a small batch. All ingredients can be adjusted for taste--the trick is how you put them together.

Garlic Sauce a la Jo :D

Whisk 2 tsp minced garlic, quarter tsp (or less) of salt and about 1 Tbs lemon juice in a medium bowl. Gradually drizzle in about half a cup of olive oil, whisking all the time into a paste. (I added the oil, whisked for a while to thicken the sauce, then added more oil, etc.)

ETA: You could probably mix the sauce in a food processor (may be useful if using garlic cloves instead of minced garlic). The oil would still need to be drizzled in, though.

Now I reek, too. :tongue

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Try smashing the minced garlic with the salt to a paste with a mortar and pestle, or crush them together with the flat side of your knife.
Then mix in the lemon juice, and finally whisk in the olive oil drop by drop until you get a thick emulsion.

Depending on the quantities you use, this makes an authentic sauce or even better, a marinade for chicken.