Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. Okay, weird question right of the bat. I know victorians could get gut-based condoms, they didn't prevent disease. My question is -- how reliable were they at preventing conception. What other methods did/could ladies use?

Deleted member 42

Would you be interested in a bibliography? A short one <g>

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ill take what I can get -- but for an aside comment in a 1000 word story... perhaps you could provide an executive summary ?[begs] Specifically, how about some light poisoning to 'put him off'?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
OMG!! I just read the info in the link provided by three seven. I would have been shackled and shot if I lived during that era. There's no way a man would have wanted a woman like me in those days....I would have probably starved to death or something. Oy! thank goodness for changing times..and thank goodness for my husband who loves me the way that I am.

Gehanna

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
''The marriage contract into which the vast majority of women entered resembled an indenture agreement between master and servant...''

Quoted above is from the link provided by three seven. After reading that, I thought I was gonna' puke!

celeste

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Ella said:
:mad:I couldn't read the entire article. Now I'm cranky.

Sorry we're not much help yet.

Same here, Ella! Once I got to the part I quoted, I quit reading it! Lol...
I don't know what they did with the women that rebelled back then, but I sure as hell woulda' been one of them. :Soapbox:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Without any financial independence or legal rights to autonomy rebelling would quickly have rather degrading and fatal consequences, I should think. Strong women had a tendency to end up imprisoned in asylums.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Without any financial independence or legal rights to autonomy rebelling would quickly have rather degrading and fatal consequences, I should think. Strong women had a tendency to end up imprisoned in asylums.

LOL...I guess I'd of been locked up!
jail.gif

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I dug out my copy of "Sex in History" and sent you a PM about the Victorian chapter.

It's amazing how little most of our bc methods have changed in the last hundred and fifty years or so, with the exception of chemical means.

NealeSourna

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.Neale-Sourna.com
I believe in that time [1800s - 1970s] "good women" weren't to know about such things, like French Letters, or saying no, let alone use them. Husbands/men used them with "whores" not wives, and mostly only to prevent preg not disease; and this prevention to protect him not the outside woman, from future bastards looking for handouts from genetic dad.

Women were expected to be constantly preg, if that was God's Will and her husband's will, or lack of restraint. If she died she died. If he was an espec. doting husband, he might would introduce contra. for her life protection, but it wasn't expected or required of a husband; and considered somewhat suspect that he'd curtail his unlimited bare riding rights for a woman's protection, a woman who was fairly replaceable, like a horse. Unless, again, he was unusually found of the horse, uh, wife.

-----
Contraceptive collection comes to the Dittrick at Case
http://www.case.edu/artsci/dittrick/site2/news/contra.htm

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, those were the days. Bloody progress ruins everything ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I must say, NealeSourna has a dandy of a first post, one of the best I've ever read.

It seems he(?) joined seven months ago, but until now has kept silent. Come on, Neal, step away from the shadows where we can see more of you. :)

PennStater

Registered
Reaction score
I saw somewhere, on TV or in a museum, a condom from a previous century. It was actually made out of cotton and was really thick so that no sperm could get through. It looked like a shriveled up sock. Yep. That's about it.

Reaction score
There was one called the 'geronimo' from the war years that was made of what looked like tyre-rubber.

You had to wash it out and use it over and over again. *puke*

Status
Not open for further replies.