Un-too-late

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ever been in a situation where you take a dream job and another one pops up on your doorstep a few days later? I did this morning. I am happy with my future work, employer, projects, and country.

But this morning I had a phone call from a very unlikely agency in Europe. I listened to the whole message and had to chuckle. Now why didn't they call me three weeks ago?

I had a follow up email from them:

Hello Jon,
Found your details on Tiptopjob and my client IAEA part of United Nations based in Vienna are looking for SQL DBA on contract basis initially 6 months. English speaking environment, plus I live in Austria and always on hand to assist with smooth transition into a new country.
I am happy to let you have full information should this be of interest.
Kind regards
Shelly
Shelly Webb - Director

Has this ever happened to you? I'm a little bit torn between calling and just sending a polite email that I already found work. But this is the IAEA:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Is your present job contract basis?

Does "initially 6 months" mean that then it goes to permanently maybe? Or you're just cut loose in Austria?

Never hurts to find out the pay scale.

And in answer to your question, it always seems to work like that. When you're unemployed, nothing, nada, bupkis. But as soon as you find a job, that's when all the offers start pouring in.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Is your present job contract basis?

Does "initially 6 months" mean that then it goes to permanently maybe? Or you're just cut loose in Austria?

Never hurts to find out the pay scale.

And in answer to your question, it always seems to work like that. When you're unemployed, nothing, nada, bupkis. But as soon as you find a job, that's when all the offers start pouring in.
My present job is perm and the pay is good for Ireland. I just found it ironic that I get a bunch of calls after the fact. Bottom line is that I'm happy with my decision because I'll live close to work, my hours are 7.5 daily, and I will have the time to write.

I found the best job that will give me the chance to write and have time off for life!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My present job is perm and the pay is good for Ireland. I just found it ironic that I get a bunch of calls after the fact. Bottom line is that I'm happy with my decision because I'll live close to work, my hours are 7.5 daily, and I will have the time to write.

I found the best job that will give me the chance to write and have time off for life!

Plus you're in Ireland, which is nicer than Austria - trust me on this

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I love Ireland, even ran the Dublin Marathon there, but parts of Austria ROCK. Especially Salzburg...

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time to bask in it, Spooky. :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Figures, huh Spooky? This happens to my brother with women. He can't seem to get one and then when he finally does, he suddenly has women beating down his door. This universe has a strange sense of humor sometimes.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
never happened to me. I've been at the same job for nigh on 25 years. My freelance writing keeps tapping me on the shoulder though... saying crap like, "Come work for me. Full time." I don't listen.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
One never knows what the future holds -- you want to leave a good impression. I would email them back and tell them how much you appreciate the offer and how much you would have liked to work with them, but unfortunately you just committed to another position and you're not the sort who goes back on his word.

They gotta like you for that, and hopefully remember it down the line should things change.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah that happened to me once. My real job was as hotel and restaraunt manager. The place where I had worked for 18 years was sold, and new owners had family that was working there... my hours were cut. So I sought other employment.

I applied a lot of places but was only offered one. Manager of an Italian restaraunt. I took it and I did not like. All the women who worked there were gossips.. it drove me nuts. I had only worked there two weeks, when an Inn called and wanted me for the front desk manager... I took it... and worked there until I had to quit to take care of my grandchildren..

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I stay home doing my nails and eating bonbons.

Maryn, pampered trophy wife*

* Trophy of what?