Join Topical Tuesdays (this week: fanfiction and intellectual property)

Jay Solomon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thezenofsouthpark.com
Hi, this is Jay Solomon, a newbie to AW (just introduced myself in that forum). I just wanted to let everyone know that my fellow author and long-time AW member, Chandler Craig, and I both blog at wordpress and have begun Topical Tuesdays. Every Tuesday we will blog about a particular issue related to the world of writing and publishing. We will pick the topics and post them on our blogs (and here as well if there's interest) every Monday so that other people who would like to blog on the same topic for the day can do so. In fact, we encourage it!

Today's topic was about Harry Potter and fanfiction and intellectual property rights. Should it all be allowed and why? Is there a reason to stop it? Would you let someone use your characters in their work? How far should you go to guard your intellectual property?

I've written on this at jaysolomon.wordpress.com and Chandler writes at chandlermariecraig.wordpress.com. We would both love for you to read and comment, blog about it yourselves if you're so inclined and join us every Tuesday for Topical Tuesdays. Also, if you have any suggestions for topics, don't hesitate to send them our way ([email protected] if you don't want your suggestion advertised).

Thanks for listening and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys! We'd love you to get in on the action. Either comment or post on your own blog and we'll link to you!

Link to Fumbling with Fiction is in my signature!

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Care to add your blog to Topical Tuesdays?

This was posted in the regular blogging forum, but I feel like it is more of an event.

My friend and author Jay Solomon and I are starting what we affectionately call Topical Tuesdays. We choose a topic and both blog about our different takes on the issue.

For instance, today we did fanfiction and intellectual property with regard to Harry Potter.

We would love for it to become an AW event where lots of bloggers spew lots of ideas about the same subject and then we link to each other and comment on one another's blogs.

It'd be a great way for everyone to get more commenters and maybe find some fun new blogs to read. Plus, everyone here is smart and interesting so I'm sure we could have some rousing discussions.

Obviously, everyone could have a say in what the topic for the week would be and we would try to set it in stone by Sunday night/Monday morning.

Anybody want to try it out??

The Fumbling with Fiction url is in my signature. Thanks!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
To avoid confusion, I've merged the two threads. In the future, yeah, this sort of thing belongs in the special events sub-forum. :)

Jay, I'd suggest making the URLs clickable in your post to make it easier for members to participate. :)

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow's topic: E-books, Amazon Kindle, and the popularization of reading materials

provide a link in the comments section or here and I will link to your blog and comment on your post--Jay will do the same

Fumbling with Fiction

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow's: Beta Readers--Who should they be? How many? When should you use them? And how to know when to disregard their advice.

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Brand Yourself: Book Promotion on a budget

Jay Solomon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This week for Topical Tuesdays we're discussing the importance of having a good relationship with your computer and why you and your computer should love each other. Feel free to comment on our posts or write your own blog post about this and let us know here.

Jay Solomon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What Book Do You Wish You'd Written?

This week's topic is a dreamy one. Is there one book out there that you really wish you could have written? What is it and why? Check out my and Chan's blogs to find out what our choices would have been and if you'd like, blog about the topic yourself and link up with us.

Would it be an obscure title? A Pulitzer Prize winner? A classic?

Jay Solomon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
How Historical Should Historical Fiction Be?

Today's topic is about the historicity of historical fiction. How historically accurate should it be? Join me and Chan for our thoughts on this matter and feel free to post about yours and link to us.

What do you think? How historical should historical fiction be?