Haggis recipe

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
gross.

and now in an attempt to derail....

haggis, inspired by our conversations in the vanilla bean thread i made a nice salmon filet last night with a curried mango chutney/salsa (i don't know what you want to call it)
very good.

oh yea, grilled on cedar planks.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
gross.

and now in an attempt to derail....

haggis, inspired by our conversations in the vanilla bean thread i made a nice salmon filet last night with a curried mango chutney/salsa (i don't know what you want to call it)
very good.

oh yea, grilled on cedar planks.

Interesting. I've had mango chutney/salsa before, but not curried.

Speaking of vanilla beans, guess what I made last night (finally)?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
does it begin with ice and end with cream?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Um, the recipe is fine and all, but when do we add the evil chihuahua? This is a Haggis recipe, right?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
does it begin with ice and end with cream?

It ends with "cream," but it starts with "rum raisin."

Re-railing the thread with this delightfully impassioned rendition of "Ode to a Haggis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzYaIphbzU

Drat. No sound card at work. I'll check it out when I get home.

Why are sheep's lungs illegal in the States?

So we can't get true haggis here? How tragic!

Fear of something--TB, maybe? I've heard but can't remember.

Um, the recipe is fine and all, but when do we add the evil chihuahua? This is a Haggis recipe, right?

*looks sternly at storygirl*

Haggette

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Why are sheep's lungs illegal in the States?

Sheep lungs, as well as several other offal ingredients, were banned by the US due to the likely causal association between the human prion disease called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) -- better known as Mad Cow disease. While sheep do not carry BSE, they can carry scrapie, a prion disease that is very closely related to BSE. In fact, it is likely that BSE originated as a result of feeding cattle meat-and-bone meal that contained scrapie-infected sheep products. vCJD is a fatal neurodegenerative condition. It is exceedingly rare -- even in areas where offal ingredients are commonly used. Exposure does not define disease development. Only a very small percentage of people exposed to BSE will develop vCJD although small children have a greater risk than adults. Ultimately, the ban on offal ingredients is to protect us from those nasty little prion proteins. That being said, who's up for a trip to Scotland. I'm sure we could make it through customs. I mean really, what doesn't make it through customs?

Haggette

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It ends with "cream," but it starts with "rum raisin."

So the kids and I will be by tonight to pick up our tub. Unless there's not enough. If that's the case then I'll just look your beautiful grandchildren in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry, guys. Grandpa said you can't have any of his ice cream. It's his special recipe and he said he doesn't want to waste it on you." :D

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So the kids and I will be by tonight to pick up our tub. Unless there's not enough. If that's the case then I'll just look your beautiful grandchildren in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry, guys. Grandpa said you can't have any of his ice cream. It's his special recipe and he said he doesn't want to waste it on you." :D

If I gave any of that to the kids, DHS would get me for child abuse. Stuff's loaded with rum, you know.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
This from the man who used to give me a shot of whiskey to make me go to sleep.
Oooooo, I'm telling RT!!!! He's *so* going to ban you!

Haggette, please tell us about how your dad cooked for you in your formative years. Was he all vanilla beans and haggis, or did he just throw some fish sticks in the toaster oven and call it dinner?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You can buy doggie treats that are made from sheep lungs. A friend of mine gives them to her dogs. They are light...airy, and look like.....chunks about two-three inches long, 1-2 inches wide.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
They're pounding down the forum door to read how to skin, fillet and stuff you for dinner. Do you really think I'm the one sullying their opinion of you?:ROFL:

They do that because...because...because they like me. Yeah. That's it. They like me. And you're trying to ruin it.

Here. Have a prion sammich.

Not-The-Nine-OClock-News-Hedgehog-Sandwich-317233.jpg

Haggette

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Haggette, please tell us about how your dad cooked for you in your formative years. Was he all vanilla beans and haggis, or did he just throw some fish sticks in the toaster oven and call it dinner?

Alas, no fish sticks. But I do recall a lovely baking soda duck we had for Christmas one year. I never knew baking soda could be used for seasoning until that meal. It would have tasted better if he'd have just let the damn thing burn. A little contained fire never hurt anyone.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Like it's my fault the flambe started when the duck was in the oven rather than on a plate.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
so has anyone actually *tried* the recipe?

Or found a recipe that we can make here in the states? Sheep's lungs may be out, but I know you can buy stomach and other things... maybe not from a sheep but is there an acceptable susbtitute?

I would, really, like to try this out...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Or found a recipe that we can make here in the states? Sheep's lungs may be out, but I know you can buy stomach and other things... maybe not from a sheep but is there an acceptable susbtitute?

There are artificial casings you can use, but I'm not sure where to get them. Maybe ask a butcher?

Here's another recipe from Alton Brown that sounds pretty easy.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score

what?
i mean, WHAT?

There are artificial casings you can use, but I'm not sure where to get them. Maybe ask a butcher?

Here's another recipe from Alton Brown that sounds pretty easy.

what. the. hell.

no, you can't give out haggis recipes,..you can't make it,...you can't eat it.

no. no. no.

lock thread.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
real haggis

On Sunday at 3:30 pm EST, the Food Channel is showing Anthony Bourdain traveling to Scotland and eating haggis.

Mmmm... haggis!