PDA

View Full Version : We can see the future

maestrowork
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/080602-foresee-future.html

Very interesting.

Shadow_Ferret
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
We can see 1/10th of a second into the future?

Then Deja vu is real!

Cranky
06-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Very interesting.

If that isn't fodder for a story, then I don't know what is. Veddy interesting stuff! Good find, Ray.

Jaycinth
06-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Way to go with a creepy story prompt!!!

StoryG27
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Hmm, very interesting.

My Hubby is on a Live Science article, there's a picture of his platoon because there some talk of volunteering them to colonize the moon or other planets because they're already used to really crappy living conditions. I didn't know what to make of that, but Live Science is a site I can go to every time I need an idea. It's interesting. Some of it is bizarre, some is beyond bizarre, and just crazy enough to be correct. It's a fun place to rummage through some brilliant and unique minds.

JLCwrites
06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm blond... does that mean that I see things 1/10 of a second after it happens? (goes stumbling though the kitchen)

Joycecwilliams
06-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Very interesting.

I waited forever and nothing happened... Does that mean I am going to die??
YIKES!

StoryG27
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm blond... does that mean that I see things 1/10 of a second after it happens? (goes stumbling though the kitchen)
*snicker*
You're so silly.

slcboston
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
i'm not a scientist, but I'm a bit confused:

the article says the visual system compensates by generating images of what will occur... but wouldn't that require some sort of processing by the brain? Your eyes themselves just *see* what's there, so at some point if this "future processing" is going on, wouldn't that be subject to the same processing delay that results in the 1/10th second lag in the first place?

can someone explain what seems like an inherent flaw in this to me?

maestrowork
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
i'm not a scientist, but I'm a bit confused:

the article says the visual system compensates by generating images of what will occur... but wouldn't that require some sort of processing by the brain? Your eyes themselves just *see* what's there, so at some point if this "future processing" is going on, wouldn't that be subject to the same processing delay that results in the 1/10th second lag in the first place?

can someone explain what seems like an inherent flaw in this to me?

No, I think the gist that our eyes "see" 1/10th of a second "in the future" to compensate for the lag, so when our brain processes the images, it's in sync with the current event. So to our brains (perception), it's in real time. But if -- and that's where the story idea comes in -- we can somehow harness the direct signal from the eye (to a computer with no lag, for example), then theoretically we could "see" into the future.