Help! Need a medievalist, stat!

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Or THE Medievalist . . . or someone who knows the Knights Templar like the back of their hand . . . ;)

Here's my dilemma: A Muslim soldier at a fictional version of the siege of Ascalon (1153) spots a distinctive banner among the Christian attackers. It floats over the artillery, making him think whoever the banner belongs to is also guiding the siege weapons and towers. My Muslim survives the siege and escapes, but this banner has haunted him. Years later, he's a person of consequence who has come to Cairo from the East, where he'd spent the past 14 years. During an invasion of Egypt by the King of Jerusalem, he sees the banner again. He's told it is the family crest/what-have-you of the man who has become the grandmaster of the Knights Templar.

I can't find ANY references to Templars carrying any banner but the piebald one. Are there any other ways to tell the grandmaster apart in a crowd of knights? Any way to make the banner thing work?

Thanks, in advance!

Scott

Small note: Just in case any dedicated Templarists decide to take me to task . . . Yes, I know the Templars did not accompany Amalric of Jerusalem to Egypt for each of his invasions. I'm writing historical fantasy based upon Amalric's various attempts to take Egypt . . . which is also why my version of Ascalon is far more vicious and bloody than how it actually was (including the slaughter of women and children, etc).

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Oh crap, I don't know. I started writing a response, but I realized that it was for the Hospitallers, not the templars. (I was going to say that the Hospitalers were organized by what country they came from originally, so conceivably they would have had their national flag with them. I don't know if that was the custom for the Templars)

I always thought that the point of joining one of the Militant Orders was that you left your previous life behind.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a documentary video on the KT that I downloaded from Amazon on my computer. If no one else comes along to answer your question I'll look and see what's on the video.

Deleted member 42

Go with his house crest; typically he would have a pretty fancy horse with trappings, too, and some identification on his helm to make his rank in the Hospitallers clear.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, I know thats too early, I was certainly thinking of the later hospitallers.

However, there were national symbols, even in that early era. French wore white crosses, for example, while english wore red ones. (of course, being templars, all of them would be wearing the red ones in this case)

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
What if your banner quartered an image significant to a Muslim (and unusual for a Christian to use), with the bearer's personal symbol? It might give your Muslim something to mull for a long, long time...and engage your reader to get really curious until you reveal it near the end of the book.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
If he's Grand Master he'd have to come from the aristocracy. He would have been knighted before joining the Templars most likely. So he would have possessed a family crest. It could be emblazoned on the banner.