Peppermint water

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
So good. Has anyone else tried the Metromint peppermint water? I love the stuff , but, it gets pricey if you drink it often.
I've started making my own by adding a few drops of peppermint extract to my plain water.
I know extracts are made for cooking, but, does anyone know if there would be any harm from using it in such a concentrated form?
If you like peppermint, I highly recommend the peppermint water. I just can't say, with certainty, that my own little recipe is the right thing to do.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Peppermint is used for medicinal purposes, so I can't imagine it would hurt you. That said, if you're pouring pure peppermint extract into the water, you're leaving the alcohol intact that is contained in the extract. No wonder you're so happy with it.:D

I make peppermint tea with pure peppermint extract, but I pour it into the boiling water to remove the majority of the alcohol before seeping the tea.

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Peppermint is used for medicinal purposes, so I can't imagine it would hurt you. That said, if you're pouring pure peppermint extract into the water, you're leaving the alcohol intact that is contained in the extract. No wonder you're so happy with it.:D

I make peppermint tea with pure peppermint extract, but I pour it into the boiling water to remove the majority of the alcohol before seeping the tea.

Yes, it says 89% alcohol as the first ingredient. You gave me an idea. Maybe I should boil the water and alcohol mixture and let it cool so I can have the alcohol free water. (Not that I mind alcohol, but I probably don't need it in my drinking water.)
Thanks

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I make my mint tea with fresh mint leaves. Wonderful stuff! You can do it either with boiling water over the leaves or you can pour room-temperature water over the leaves and then leave in a sunny window for a day or something. I haven't tried the sunny window method myself - just read about it.

Mint grows extremely well, so you could grow your own. Just don't plant in the ground or it'll take over everything.