Cheap Easy Dinners!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I thought maybe we could have a thread specifically for low-cost, filling types of recipes. Stuff you can stretch to feed several people--surely I'm not the only stay-home Mom who is the exclusive cook/meal planner/food buyer? :)

I made this last night; it's a recipe I've had and used for years (a Scottish dish, called "minced collops" there). Much, much tastier than it sounds, and very filling--it's more than enough to feed my husband and I plus our six-year-old for dinner and have leftovers, which are great in sandwiches or by themselves.

1 pound ground sirloin or ground beef*
1/4 cup -1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal (I use McCann's. The big can of it was like $8 but it will last a year or so and is yummy on its own too.)
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cup beef stock
1 onion or several tbsp onion powder
Several tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Brown the beef well with onion or onion powder, add oatmeal*, stir to mix.

Add stock. (I put various amounts because you can add a bit more oatmeal to stretch it further, it's a very flexible recipe. The recipe itself calls for 3 oz. oatmeal and 1 1/4 cup of stock, but I like more oatmeal in it so I add a little more stock.)

Cover. Simmer gently 30 minutes or so. The oatmeal will absorb the stock and meat juices and soften.

When done, add several tbsp Worcestershire, stir well. Serve over mashed potatoes or baked potatoes, or with toast or fries or really anything.

*If you're using sirloin--which is of course pricier--don't drain it before adding the oatmeal. The recipe book I got this from simply called for sirloin and said not to drain it. But I've found that you can use less expensive ground beef and simply drain off most of the fat, and it's just as tasty. Leave a couple of tbsp or so, because you want the oatmeal to absorb it and help form the unctuous sort of sauce it creates.

Like I said, it might not sound great, but it is quite good, and is one of the cheapest things I make.

I forgot to add: You can of course make this go further by using more oatmeal or more beef, it's very flexible. So if you have six people to feed, for example, you could use 1 1/2 pounds of beef and 3/4 cup oatmeal with 2 cups of stock (or so).

I also do a sort of variation which I call "lazy hamburgers", which is basically browned beef with onion, a little rosemary--whatever spices you like, really--and Worcestershire, mixed after cooking with a little gravy. I serve that one with fries or over baked potatoes, too, and while it may not be elegant and gourmet, the family enjoys it and it's inexpensive and filling.

And really, I know ground beef has a bad reputation health-wise, but if you can afford the pricier sirloin or if you drain ground beef well, I feel confident I'm giving them something good. Because it's filling they're not eating tons of it anyway, and I always make sure there's vegetables and stuff too. We always have some left over from that pound of meat.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm trying decide whether "sirloin oatmeal" is the best oatmeal combination since raisin/oatmeal cookies, or a really, really bad idea... :)

(But a great idea for a thread! :D )

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
I have a better one. My cousin inlaw dubbed it Monster Mac.

1 box Kraft dinner (or the no name if you like)
1 lb. ground beef
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced

Cook noodles as directed and drain. Set aside. Brown beef, onion and pepper. Add to macaroni. Pour cheese packet and tomatoes and stir. voila! a dinner the kids shouldn't whine about (his didn't).

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Lol SlcBoston, that's what I thought too. But really, it is good. The oatmeal absorbs the meaty flavor--kind of like breadcrumbs in meatballs. Thanks--it occurred to me we didn't have one, although we do have the one about rising food prices!

ShadowFerret, I've never tried it with Quaker Oats, simply because the steel-cut ones are like small round balls, if you know what I mean. I bought the steel-cut ones the first time I made it because I wanted to try them, and liked it so much I kept them. But I imagine you could try it and the flavor would be the same, so sure! If you try it please let me know! :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Doesn't anyone else have to cook for a family on a tight budget? :(

Okay, well, I have another one, it's a sort of very modified and cheap beef bourgoignonne (or however it's spelled. I have a really authentic delicious recipe that takes forever, too, but this is one I made up as a pasta sauce. It's good if you have any wine left over or if you can get those smaller bottles.)

1 pckg stew beef chunks (they're usually 2 or 3 lbs., and at the Publix where I used to shop one pckg was $3 or 4. Sometimes they'd have sales and I'd buy a couple to freeze.)
2 or 3 slices bacon (I separate this into pckages of 2-3 strips each and freeze.)
Onion
garlic
parsley
oregano
basil
red wine

Saute bacon in a large saucepan until fat renders; remove and put in fridge. Add a tsp or so olive oil, brown beef. Add herbs. (You could add some diced or stewed tomatoes or tomato sauce if you like, too.) Add wine--it should almost cover the meat, usually 1/3 cup or so? If it's not enough you can use water or stock. Add a pinch of salt and a little pepper.

Cover, simmer 2-2 1/2 hours or so until meat is tender.

Add bacon back in, stir until warm. Shred beef using 2 forks. It should be a very thick meaty sauce--almost like a fricassee rather than a sauce. You can always add a splodge of butter to it to make it more velvety-saucy.

Serve over pasta with lots of grated parmesan. Again, there's usually a decent amount of leftovers as a little of this goes far--it's very rich--and it's fantastic the next day as is or on toasted bread, especially if you have some French or Italian bread (which we couldn't always afford, but if we could we would just to make open-faced sandwiches with this.)

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I dunno about that substitution of steel-cut oats for Quaker... I imagine it would definitely affect the texture. The steel-cut oats have a more substantial texture to them - the Quaker oats might turn into something akin to mush. The steel-cut require chewing, IOW, and the Quaker would not.

There are actually some reasonably priced steel-cut oats out there. Look for Bob's Red Mill brand.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My cheapest, fastest, most loved meal in my family:

Chicken and rice.

You take two chicken breasts, cook them and cut them into small pieces, (more if you're using more than 6 cups of rice). Take rice, however many p eople you need to feed, that's how much rice you need. We'll say four for the standard recipe. This is cooked rice, so go with like four servings.

Then take veggies, my family loves the frozen carrot, broccoli, cauloflower mix and heat those up, stir them all together with a can of cream of whatever you want soup and serve. It takes about 20 minutes and 5 bucks to feed everyone. (Have to account for inflation and all.)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another one that had slipped my mind.

1 lb of sausage
5-6 potatoes diced
4-6 eggs

Brown your sausage while your potatoes cook on another skillet. After they are both done and the sausage is drained, mix them together, crack the eggs over the top and cook until the eggs are done, if you don't have a big enough cooking dish, wok, or whatever you cook with, then scramble the eggs separately and then combine.

My kids love it with ketchup, my husband prefers it plain. Hamburger can also be used and we've yet to have leftovers.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I love red beans or black beans over rice, or Hoppin' John which is a Southern classic blackeyed peas and rice combination.

Next I want to try a reverse black beans and rice using white cannelli beans over Asian black rice.

Has anyone here cooked black rice before?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had this since I was a kid, but I loved it back then...

1 lb of burger
1 box of burger helper
1 large tin of diced tomatoes
1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies

Make the burger helper with the burger, as per the package. Add tomatoes, veggies and 1-3 tins of water.

This makes a pretty good hearty soup/stew (depending on the tins of water used). My mom used to make it whenever my cousins came over.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
1) make two boxes of macaroni and cheese
2) brown 1 lb. of gound beef; drain
3) add cooked beef to cooked mac and cheese
4) add 1 cup sliced olives
5) put in buttered casserole dish, add sliced cheese and bread crumbs on top
6) stick under broiler until brown and crispy
7) eat (but blow it off first, or the heat from the lava-like texture will peel the skin from the roof of your mouth like cellophane)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's an Asian strain of rice that is dead black.
I've seen recipes for cooking it with coconut milk as a dessert.

I haven't tried the black rice, but I have tried the Asian dessert where you take the cooked rice (Jasmine is perfect for this) sweetened coconut milk and slice mangos over the top.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I used to make a recipe my sister gave me called indian omelets.

it consisted of green onions, chopped,
curry powder
egg
red pepper
black pepper
and any other spices you wish
and rice

put some oil in a small saucepan, fry the onions
in a separate bowl, beat 1 egg, and add spices.
pour the bowl over the egg to form a flat, eggy pancake. repeat as many times as necessary.
Take rice, put it in the eggy pancake. Eat.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple my family's always liked:

1 pkg kielbasa or smoked sausage, chopped into @ 1" long pieces
onions (fresh or dried)
butter for sauteing
@ 1-2 cup water
1 box scalloped or au grautin potatoes (Name or off brand, doesn't really matter)
1 small bag frozen veggies

Saute onions in butter, add sausage, lower heat a tad. Stir around for 2-3 minutes. Add water. Add cheese packet and bring to light boil. Mix in potatoes. Cover and lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in frozen veggies. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until largest veggies are warmed through, stirring occasionally. Add water as needed.

Quick, easy, filling--and leftovers zap up really well.

My housemate does this sausage and rice dish:

Brown up sausage (figure 3-4 for each serving) with a little chopped onions (we have dried, but it works)
Add a healthy dash of Worchestershire sauce
Add enough water for rice for however many people you're serving
Add rice
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes for rice to cook.

She claims it reheats really well, but I've never had it reheated.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you that own crock pots, here's some budget stretchers. And for those of you who don't...What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Crockpots are time AND budget stretchers!!!

Crock Pot Bean Casserole

5-6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, diced
½ lb. Lean ground beef (you can use regular ground beef, but this eliminates having to drain it)
3 cans pork and beans in tomato sauce (you can substitute other beans for 2 of the cans, but drain them first)
¼ cup ketchup
2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon liquid smoke (look for this near the barbeque sauce in the grocery store)

Combine beef, bacon and onion in a frying pan. Cook until onions are translucent and beef is no longer pink. Put meat mixture into crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. I do NOT recommend using high for this recipe as it tends to dry out the beans and can leave some of the casserole burned on the sides.

Crock Pot Stew

1 lb. Stewing beef cut into bite size pieces
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 to 3 medium carrots sliced into rounds
1 large cooking onion diced
3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
½ can water
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Brown beef and onions in a frying pan, but don not fully cook the beef. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook until mushrooms are slightly softened and you can smell the garlic. Combine with remaining ingredients in crock pot, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5. If gravy is too thin, strain out vegetables and meat. Put gravy into a small sauce pan and whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoon corn starch or gravy mix. Bring to a boil and then add back to meat and veggies. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Green Pepper Casserole

This one is inspired by my love of stuffed peppers, but my dislike of the soggy pepper itself.

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
½ lb. Lean ground beef
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (or 1 can pieces and stems well drained)
4 green onions with tops, sliced (or 1 medium cooking onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup instant rice
½ cup water

Combine beef and onions in a frying pan. Cook until beef is no longer pick. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for another minute or until you can smell the garlic cooking (do not burn the garlic, it tastes very bad). Pour mixture into crock pot and add tomatoes, stirring well to combine. Add salt and pepper if desired, but I recommend waiting until the end to do this. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5. At the very end, turn crock pot off and add water and instant rice. Stir to combine and recover. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Your rice ends up perfect this way. I serve this over mashed potatoes, the same way my mom used to serve her stuffed peppers

These lovelies are family favos, easy on the grocery bill and my own concoctions (none has died from eating them ...yet :p).

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you that own crock pots, here's some budget stretchers. And for those of you who don't...What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Crockpots are time AND budget stretchers!!!

I'm the only person who'll eat anything cooked in a crock pot, which is why I don't have one anymore. The general complaint is that it "mushes all the flavors together so it all tastes like sludge." If they won't eat it, I don't waste the food anymore.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
1) make two boxes of macaroni and cheese
2) brown 1 lb. of gound beef; drain
3) add cooked beef to cooked mac and cheese
4) add 1 cup sliced olives
5) put in buttered casserole dish, add sliced cheese and bread crumbs on top
6) stick under broiler until brown and crispy
7) eat (but blow it off first, or the heat from the lava-like texture will peel the skin from the roof of your mouth like cellophane)
Oh yeah. We've made that without the olives. Just the mac and cheese and ground beef with addition help from some Velveeta.

I'm the only person who'll eat anything cooked in a crock pot, which is why I don't have one anymore. The general complaint is that it "mushes all the flavors together so it all tastes like sludge." If they won't eat it, I don't waste the food anymore.
Guess I've never gotten that complain. We like the mushed flavor.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
The crockpot is a glorious invention! I enjoy it all year round! Throw ingredients in in the morning and come home from work and, "Welcome Home!" What's not to love?

Yes, you have to learn what you can leave in there all day and what you have to add when you come home and wait an additional hour for it to cook. Mine has a timer that I can set to turn on in the early afternoon if I don't want to leave it on to cook all day.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
My quickest dinner tip (but I don't have a family) is a bowl of cereal. I love cereal.

I also make whole, brown, basmati rice in a rice cooker and dump a can of drained black beans in with it while it's cooking (with only slightly more water) and a few spices. Stir and eat. Can add veggies the last few minutes to steam them.

Here's a quick recipe for egg drop soup that I enjoy. Empty a can of chicken broth into a pot. Fill the can with water and dump half of it in the pot with the broth. Pour the rest in a mug and mix with two heaping teaspoons of cornstarch and mix. Add about four to five tablespoons of soy sauce to the broth and heat to boiling. In a separate mug, crack two or three eggs (yolk optional) and whisk with a fork. Once the broth starts to boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir. When this just begins to boil, drizzle the mixed egg from the mug with a fork and turn off the stove. (Egg cooks instantly). Stir and serve with cracked pepper to taste. This whole soup takes five to seven minutes to make.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's an Asian strain of rice that is dead black.
I've seen recipes for cooking it with coconut milk as a dessert.

Nifty! Never heardof it before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Fried Rice is a good cheap meal. Only one pan too.

Beat 1 egg. Fry, breaking into little chunks as it cooks. Remove from pan.
Cook 1 or 2 chicken thighs (chopped into bite sized pieces) in the same pan. Remove from pan.
Fry up whatever veggies you like in the same pan. when chopped small, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 3 mushrooms, etc can go a long way. Remove from pan.
Fry up all the leftover rice in the fridge in the pan (it has to be leftover rice, fresh stuff will just be mush) with enough soy sauce to colour it.
Add egg, meat and veg. Stir to mix. Top with green onion.
Serve in bowls.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score

I was trying to be funny, but that really bites hon. My hubs actually likes a lot of things better cooked in the crockpot and has never commented on the flavors being mushed up. Go figure and I definitely have further proof that I am a lucky woman:D.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also like to do breakfast for dinner. One of the favorites is "breakfast burritos"

Almost cover a likely portion of hash browns (preferrably NOT frozen) with water. Add onions (we still used dried) and simmer, turning occasionally to keep from sticking.

When the water is mostly gone, add eggs (figure 2 per serving) and stir. Add chopped up breakfast meat(s) of your choice (in a pinch, I've used Bac-N-Bits).

Keep stirring until eggs are no longer runny. Smooth out mixture to cover pan fairly evenly.

Add shredded cheese of your choice (We like Colby-Jack mixed) Turn off heat, cover and allow cheese to melt.

Put flour torillas on a plate, cover with slightly damp paper towel or napkin. Microzap for no more than 30 seconds for an entire package of 10. (You could heat them in the oven, I guess, but I've never done that)

When cheese is melted, put a decent dollop of burrito mixture in torilla, roll, serve.

Good with a small salad or chopped up fruit.

Really good for Sunday breakfast too. ;)